Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 08:16:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGame Club: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: Game Club: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night  (Read 6927 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2015, 04:27:33 PM »

What is Symphony of the Night?

A miserable little pile of corridors.

Where can I play it?

SOTN is available for the following platforms (excluding unofficial emulation): PS1, Sega Saturn, PSP and PS Vita (either via the PSN or as an unlockable in the PSP game dracula x chronicles) , PS3, Xbox 360.

The XBLA and PSN releases are both ports of the original PS1 version (including the *legendary* english translation) The version included in Dracula X Chronicles adds some new content that was originally in the Japan-only Saturn version (albeit in tweaked form) as well as a new translation. I wouldn't recommend playing this one though not least because it requires playing a different game (Rondo of Blood) to unlock it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 04:48:41 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
Dragonmaw
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 04:51:31 PM »

o i was gonna do it after i got home from mad max, ty sinclair
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 05:17:05 PM »

You don't go outside.

I'll wait until I get my new used Xbox before I play this.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 05:19:08 PM »

imma play this shit on vita i think (PS1 version). ive never actually finished this gam so this should be fun.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 06:09:53 PM »

I'm doing this on the PS3 and I'm playing through in Luck/Thief Mode. I also think I'm gonna go with the Ghost familiar for most of the game, because I've never seen what it's like when it gets its high level powers.

I had forgotten how great the pixel art was in this game.
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 06:14:35 PM »

Hmm, I don't think I've ever seen that familiar leveled up either. And I'll probably do the Luck code myself.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 06:25:59 PM »

Honestly I'm so stoked
I didn't play it until it came out for the 360, but the night I got it I logged an ungodly number of hours on it. Really excited to relive that again.
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 06:29:07 PM »

Same here except I played the hell out of the demo until my brother went, "Screw it" and brought it for me for my birthday because I played it so much. Ha ha. Those 15 minutes set my imagination on fire (that's the demo's limit). I just kept wonder what all the castle had to offer and tried to explore different corners as fast as I could. My expectations actually exceeded how good the game is which is saying a lot since it's still the best Metroidvania I've ever beaten.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 06:30:44 PM »

I dunno where you guys are but I've already gotten started.

Holy Water is really powerful in Thief mode, since your regular attack sucks so much. I don't remember it being such a great weapon in this game, since in later titles it's the boomerang that's so deadly. The first boss took several tries, but that was the only one - the next boss went down on my first try. Maybe this won't be all that hard afterall.

The thing that jumps out at me the most is the amount of detail they put into each of the zones. The outer wall has a lot of little details in the area just outside your reach, like birds nesting under the roof and the hanging corpse. Those little additions that serve absolutely no value from a mechanical perspective make every screen memorable.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 07:47:38 PM »

As mentioned I had already beaten the game prior to the club, since I couldnt wait.

My first thought is that it really gets quite nonlinear as you begin to unlock your skills. There was a point where I got lost (needed to go to orloxs lair), and it was hard consulting a faq because I followed a really different order from what most apply. I early rushed the clock tower and damn, it was really hard for my low level character.

Im not terribly fond of most bosses. Hardly any are terribly interesting aside the first one and only like a couple others.

Its really surprising how different in its progression is from the GBA games, and how much more robust it is. I feel there are many aspects of the game left to discover on your own, like spells and familiars. Having played HoD before, it feels a bit obvious that they really wanted to do portable SotN, down to the protagonist look, and the dual castles and shit. However, I feel AoS captured better the feel of SotN.

I loved the chapel's soundtrack, and the creepy small room there. And the anticatacombs also have a great soundtrack and top notch enemy choice.

Im heading for a Richer's run.

Speaking of which, I got the Dracula X Chronicles version, and I totally didnt mind playing the game tyo unlock SotN

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 07:56:54 PM »

pretty stoked about this TBH

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 08:53:16 PM »

Just waiting on my 360 to get here. Grin

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
mzn528
Level 2

Dark Souls, Berserk and Vagabond Ultimate Fanboy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 07:11:28 PM »

Wait wait wait my favorite game has a PS3 version??? Is it in HD or sth???

Noob Game Dev and Pixel Artist, twitter @mzn528

Soul Appeaser, a combat focused story rich ARPG
DevLog
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 07:53:34 PM »

its just an emulated version of the ps1 game

quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 12:06:13 AM »

YO
I'm excited to play this, I played it two times but never finished either. Honestly I remember not liking this game the first time I played it, I think I expected it to be more of a metroidvania and I just lost interest when I found that it wasn't really what I was expecting. But then after I played Dark Souls I came back to SOTN and really enjoyed it.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 09:13:29 AM »

The chapel section with either Richter or Maria is annoying. Fucking crows.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 06:16:34 PM »

The chapel has the kickass confession room, though. It's a great room - it serves no functional purpose but to add some creepy atmosphere to the game.
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 06:32:28 PM »

I love that part of the game.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2015, 10:39:32 PM »

Well I finished SOTN for the first time, including the inverted castle

I find myself comparing it to Dark Souls in that on your first play through, you explore the castle in a kind of loose but still intended path by the developers. But playing it a second time you can change your route through the castle by going to areas that aren't really intended and challenge yourself to get better equipment that you wouldn't normally get until later on.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2015, 12:29:41 AM »

well yea dark souls 1 uses a metroidvania style progression.

anyway i cant play this until tomorrow. im on vacation and couldnt find my ps vita charger before leaving. i did play for a tiny bit but im only at the second save point in the alchemy lab so not v far at all.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic