Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:08:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesSplatoon
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Splatoon  (Read 3771 times)
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« on: June 02, 2015, 10:30:08 PM »

this is the internet, right?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 06:21:11 AM by Dragonmaw » Logged

Conker
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 11:20:20 PM »

I've really been enjoying Splatoon.

Nintendo has seriously kicked ass with this new IP. Good work!
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 02:56:47 AM »

I have a WiiU but haven't picked it up, nor am I sure that I will. Competitive shooters, no matter how inspired, just don't thrill me.

I also read that some of the minigames are locked behind Amiibo paywalls, which just makes it even less appealing.

It looks super-cool, though, and I like the original concept.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 05:40:46 AM »

I'm more surprised there isn't a Yooka-Laylee thread, but at least it's been discussed extensively in the general thread.

I'd never heard a word about Splatoon until it was suddenly mentioned here like less than a month ago. But eh, I don't have a Wii U so I guess it's defensible. Looks goofy.

Saw some picture the other day of how they'd apparently prototyped it with cubes first. Cool to see that sort of stage from big studios too, especially one as generally secretive as Nintendo (was it first-party developed?).

Polyflare
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 07:51:46 AM »

I absolutely love the art direction they chose for the game! It's so nice and bright and makes me happy. :D

I don't have a Wii U nor play twitch games anymore but I am constantly watching it on Twitch whenever I get the spare time.

The main issues I have with it is that the music is just far too repetitive with apparently no way to disable it and the lack of multiplayer maps and game modes on release. There is going to be an update in August that adds some new stuff including a new game mode so hopefully that improves the situation. I also haven't figured out the reason why they decided to only have two maps available at any one time. I've seen several Twitch streamers complain after a map reshuffle when both of the maps where ones that they did not like.

Regarding single player I find it slightly lifeless due to it focusing almost entirely on mechanical objects. On the other hand I do like many of the game mechanics that the levels are designed around!

Overall it's a Nintendo game and I hope they continue it as a franchise.

I code stuff.
@Polyflare/@UnitVec
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 08:01:57 AM »

not having a wiiU, im massively jealous. i dont think ive ever loved a games character designs more. plus all the social details they did like the in game banners seem gleefully fun. plus NO VOICE CHAT. goty

Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 07:24:11 PM »

I'm getting it as soon as the quarter is over.
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 09:06:21 AM »

The single player mode is pretty straight forward but also kinda fun and I hope they bring some of the mechanics in it to multiplayer maps.

I don't know how often they'll be adding new content but they've already unlocked Ranked battles and added a new stage and gun. I kinda wish they had more maps on rotation or rotated maps more often but I think that'll change once they add more stages.

Ok so the game has a progression system which kinda sucks but also as far as weapons go, people STILL use the first gun at level 15+ so I wouldn't worry too much about having to be stuck with a "bad" weapon at low levels. It does suck if you don't like X guns style tho and wanna try new things but it also doesn't take too long to level up so...

Clothing stats are also kinda EH. Idk how it works exactly but clothing has a primary stat and X secondary stats. The "best" clothes have 3 secondary stats but can take quite a while to get those stats unlocked [as clothing is leveled up]. Primary stat can also be a sort of modifier, example: my favorite one is the one that lets you be a squid in ink w/o being visible. I haven't seen that as a secondary stat so idk.

It's a lot of fun though and if you have a WiiU I recommend picking it up? There's quite a bit of depth to how YOU want to play.

There's probably optimal team set-ups but idk them yet and it depends on what mode you're playing.
Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 01:39:14 AM »

I'm enjoying it so far. Taking the story mode slowly because its so short.

I wish there had been more variety with the zones in the story mode so far. I know they'll be adding more content later but so far the areas all feel pretty much the same.
Katsusiro_7
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 05:08:12 AM »

It`s a game with such great potential.
Just imagine those sponges, ink fountains, and tubes in multiplayer maps...
Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 06:20:34 AM »

Was thinking about the potential of future maps and how much more imaginative they could be with the arenas. Would really like to see some prettier organic locations to battle in, grassy forest type environments etc.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 03:35:37 PM »

can't wait someone makes a pc clone called slug girls

Conker
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2015, 09:22:51 AM »

Ranked mode kinda sucks.

Can't have friends join you in it... team ranked would of been much better.
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 10:53:40 AM »

they announced team ranked for august im pretty sure

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2015, 01:35:14 PM »

Miiverse delivers lots of masterpieces, even if you don't own the game.
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2015, 01:54:45 PM »

Over the last month or so I've seen Splatoon mentioned on an animation site and on twitter and twitpic's of Jojo fanart of Splatoon but that's about it.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2015, 02:05:16 PM »

It's selling well in japan (oening at 144k) and the wiiU is nearly selling 20k weeks now (hint: no home console sell above 5k in japan anymore, the market is dead)

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2015, 12:34:34 AM »

(hint: no home console sell above 5k in japan anymore, the market is dead)
Well, they say Japan is the future, right?

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2015, 10:37:59 AM »

dear god I hope not

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2015, 02:09:58 PM »