Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:29:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralfemale protagonist? yes/no?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: female protagonist? yes/no?  (Read 8840 times)
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2015, 12:15:19 PM »

GOKU: What you're seeing now is my normal state.

ME: I'm not sure about the bright orange casual wear, my man, but I respect your willingness to try.

GOKU: This is high risk unprotected sex with males from at risk groups.

ME: Damn, I thought he'd be sort of meek in accordance with Japanese social norms, but this guy is seriously unrestrained and connects with the youth of today in a manner that aligns with the "YOLO" mantra

GOKU: [in a slightly strained voice] THIS is sharing needles for the delivery of intravenous recreational drugs.

ME: [beginning to show apprehension] I really don't think this is a good idea, my friend Goku from cartoons

GOKU: And this is HIV, which if poorly managed or untreated will progress and manifest as AIDS and its concomitmant sequelae! [begins screaming endlessly in my living room]

ME: [open mouthed anime gasps]
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2015, 12:17:32 PM »

you should make your protagonist feel authentic to the world you create and the role they play, in my opinion. everything else is secondary and completely unimportant.
airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2015, 12:20:56 PM »

do you think when ancient greeks contributed to the eventual manifestation of the monomyth they did so hampered by the thoughts of whether there were enough whinnying male feminists to sell their gay sex stories to? if you want to sell something, it's not hard to think of a way to market it if it's unusual in some way. that's whatever. but if you want to make something, for the elegant joy of creation, just freakin make it. chains bind lesser men, my friend.
Yes , people didnt wait tombraider to sell heroines story shit
http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/daily/people-cultures-in-the-bible/people-in-the-bible/judith-a-remarkable-heroine/

There is no problem to make an heroine , you should also choose what the best fit , so when people will ask you can easily answer

kirtov
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2015, 12:39:27 PM »

Do what it feels right, but if you decide to go with a female char and you have in mind some provocative/sexy outfits for her, it's possible you find a few problems trying to explain to your publisher why she's wearing that. Well, at least something similar is happening to us, for some reason it's not ok our surfer hero wears a bikini.

Sgt. Pepper
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2015, 04:43:25 PM »

If you do end up adding a female protagonist, please, please, please don't make it the stereotypic "big breasts, small waist" female protagonist. Otherwise, go nuts

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2015, 05:11:03 PM »

lagdog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2015, 09:17:43 PM »

If you do end up adding a female protagonist, please, please, please don't make it the stereotypic "big breasts, small waist" female protagonist. Otherwise, go nuts

ah i wouldn't do that, i don't think its appropriate to the context

I'm probably going to fully model both female and male model and either decide to go with one based on best visual context in game, or do both making it optional at the beginning, i have to much of a problem with indecision to be happy with either choice right now i think
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 09:54:39 PM by lagdog » Logged

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2015, 10:53:38 PM »

why not both?

Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2015, 02:51:10 AM »

The myth that "strong female leads do not sell" used to be true in Hollywood, and then the first Hunger games movie made 613,661,868€ in international box-office sales. If anything there is an untapped market here.

Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2015, 02:59:43 AM »

why not both?

Agreed. Or even better, make it a non-binary slider.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2015, 03:04:46 AM »

strong female leads do not sell
strong females is a writing disease.
Do you think that Tommy Viseau character in The Room is a strong positive example of male character that boys gonna look up to?
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2015, 03:31:15 AM »

I heard somewhere that when pubs say "Female leads don't sell" then point at the few games with females, they're really just pointing out that no one is making games with female leads because people are scared of trying. So if they hadn't been stopping female leads, there would have been more on the market.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2015, 06:23:57 AM »

the problem is that there is as much game with strong female lead that sells in prominent franchise that in game that don't sells (there is so few of them)

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2015, 06:47:21 AM »

make a male protagonist with a big ass, tiny waist, and huge tits
DanglinBob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2015, 08:25:45 AM »

I think the gender bias of games is largely gone at this point from a sales perspective - though I have no data to back that up other than the rise and sustained success of many female lead characters in both movies and games.  Though, if you make a GLBT protagonist you'll likely reduce your sales... which may be ok if your goal is social change but not ok if your goal is pure profit.

However, you can make a male protagonist nearly any way you want and get away with it. Females, however, you have to be cognizant to avoid certain stereotypes that will damage your sales. Your female lead has to be REAL without following some of the negative associations that society has placed on being a woman.

Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2015, 12:30:08 AM »

Top 10 best selling games of 2014
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2015/01/19/the-top-ten-best-selling-video-games-of-2014/

Call of Duty: Advanced WarfareBoys club - Can only play as male as far as I can tell
Madden NFL 15Boys club - American "Football" is not big in the EU. Does NFL even have a female league IRL?
DestinyMen and women - Character creation allows both genders
Grand Theft Auto 5Boys club - Story features 3 playable dudes
MinecraftIt's Complicated - Notch claims that "Steve" is genderless. He might be trolling.
Super Smash Bros (for 3DS and Wii U)It depends - Substantially more male than female character. A lot of characters a selectable gender (Villager, Wii Fit trainer, Robin) or are not easy to define (Yoshii, Pikachu)
NBA 2K15Boys club - Only Men as far as I can tell
Watch DogsBoys club - The main character is Male
FIFA 15Boys club - Women's National Teams will be included in FIFA 16
Call of Duty GhostsIt depends - Story campain features only male protagonists. Allows player choice in in multiplayer.
(Note: I did not do super heavy research on any of this. It's mostly what I can recall from memory or find easy by casualy searching the interwebs. It thing this is enough to pain a broad picture of current thrends)

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2015, 12:36:55 AM »

What the fuck, half of best sellers are literally CoD and sports?

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2015, 01:00:21 AM »

...How is that a surprise at all... Have you no friends with kids?

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2015, 01:01:51 AM »

Not in the CoD and sports age group.

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2015, 01:07:01 AM »

I'm looking forward to Call of Duty: Sports in 2016.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic