Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 06:35:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Should I buy a tablet? Which one?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Should I buy a tablet? Which one?  (Read 975 times)
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« on: June 20, 2015, 12:26:52 PM »

I don't know if I should try to get better at pencil drawing before I buy a thousand dollar tablet. But I also feel like going for digital art immediately might be better since a lot of people say it's very different from drawing with pencil.

What's your opinion on this? What are good tablets for art?

cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 01:30:29 PM »

Thousand dollars?

If you aren't confident in your "pencil drawing", why would you bother with a Cintiq?

Even the Wacom Intuos Pros are only a third the cost, and I got an Intuos 5 used for $140. Sure, there's the disconnect with looking at the screen and drawing on the tablet, but that goes away pretty quickly. Lots of people create great art without ever having touched a Cintiq.

This is also excluding those dirt cheap Monoprice tablets a lot of people use, but personally the drivers gave me so many issues that I gave up on it.

Lonergray
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 02:32:44 PM »

I agree with cynicalsandel, even the cheapest Wacom Intuos(non-pro) are amazing for the first tablet. As long as you keep practicing, pencil or tablet, your art will get better.

Excuse my bad English. Shrug
xchen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 06:47:04 PM »

Intuos pen and touch is really a great tablet and available on Amazon prime refurbished for $69. I'd suggest that route. I've got the pro ($250) and the refurbished one and they're both amazing
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 02:07:49 AM »

Mmh, yeah I'd obviously prefer getting a cheaper tablet. If the lack of screen really doesn't matter like you said then it might be worth getting one.
So how different is the experience compared to a tablet with screen? Does the disconnect impair you in any way, is the learning curve steeper?

Octurnip
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 02:31:11 AM »

Have you seen the Huion or Monoprice tablets? Check em - I am thinking about buying one as a cost friendly alternative for a second tablet.

My current tablet (this is the programming half of us speaking, so I'm not responsible for official art, mind) is an old Wacom Bamboo - which is the same standard as current Wacom Intuos. I can definitely recommend these, as they have never let me down.

Tablets without screens are different from using traditional media - but if you aren't already confident with your skills, I wouldn't buy one. If you hit a wall learning digital media, it could make those big investments sting and sour you against your art. I suggest trying something where you have nothing to lose first.

I think it's worth doing searches for reviews similar to the one I linked, as I think you will be able to find a new tablet that matches what you have in mind for cheaper than the going rates on new wacom tablets.

@octurnip - Check out our game Cassus!
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 05:26:49 AM »

I've had a Wacom tablet for years now. I'm as comfortable using it as a mouse for day to day computer activities and I'm much better now than I used to be at drawing with it. Make the 70-200$ investment now and start practicing. Visit the tutorial threads for beginner tutorials and you'll be good to go! Grin

Ottbot
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 10:45:52 AM »

Can't go wrong with a Wacom, in my experience.

I've had one I've been using for years and it still works great... I splurged at the time and got one with a bunch of extra buttons along the side, and honestly I never really use them.

After spending some time with a tablet, you'll be very used to it. I find it very awkward at this point to do anything art related with a mouse... there's even some games I prefer to use the tablet to play, since I find it so much faster and more accurate than the mouse.

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 11:18:42 AM »

Yeah I'll probably be going for a Wacom. Thanks for the advice, guys.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic