Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 01:36:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralPC GamePads, Should developers still support Keys
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: PC GamePads, Should developers still support Keys  (Read 2137 times)
Will Sykes
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2015, 11:53:07 PM »

Something that has been off putting to me about PC development for long time is that PC users may not have a gamepad. The fact is that some game concepts really don't work without a twin stick controller. Interestingly, in recent years the existence of the xbox 360 pad has made PC owners more likely to have a game pad and the situation may finally have changed to a point where developers make games for PC and target GamePad.

What does anyone think, should developers be making PC games which REQUIRE a gamepad or should they be forced to always support a keyboard option?
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 12:17:26 AM »

You're limiting your player base if you require a gamepad. By allowing players to play with mouse+keyboard as an alternative (even if it's less intuitive and unwieldy) you make sure that everyone will be able to enjoy your game one way or another.
So up to you really.

jiitype
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 12:31:38 AM »

Well, Street Fighter IV is on PC and SFV is coming to PC too. It must be awful to play those on a keyboard, but I doubt a lot of people do that.

Skate series comes to mind, you can't play those games on a keyboard, so no PC releases. Would be interesting to waggle your mouse around to do tricks.
woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 01:29:13 AM »

Depends on the game. Browser games are often played on school computers with no gamepad.

Support keyboard if there is no analogue input.

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 01:41:05 AM »

Well, Street Fighter IV is on PC and SFV is coming to PC too. It must be awful to play those on a keyboard, but I doubt a lot of people do that.
I know some. They don't get why people love fighting games  Cheesy

Same folks that play Rocket League with a keyboard and feel disadvantaged.
Will Sykes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 02:23:26 AM »

What if the game actually requires 2 analogue inputs? in this situation there are only 2 choices, don't make the game for PC or make the game but have it require gamepad. The question is: should one still make such a game?
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 03:01:06 AM »

What if the game actually requires 2 analogue inputs? in this situation there are only 2 choices, don't make the game for PC or make the game but have it require gamepad. The question is: should one still make such a game?
yes

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 03:20:40 AM »

Do you have any example of a Steam game that *requires* twin sticks to the point where it literally cannot be played on a kb+m setup?

I've heard of games that are designed with a controller in mind, but they still let you play on keyboard if you really wanted. Dark Souls and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons are examples of this. Notably, both of these games achieved great success on Steam despite how it was almost necessary to own a gamepad.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Will Sykes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 03:36:22 AM »

Do you have any example of a Steam game that *requires* twin sticks to the point where it literally cannot be played on a kb+m setup?

I've heard of games that are designed with a controller in mind, but they still let you play on keyboard if you really wanted. Dark Souls and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons are examples of this. Notably, both of these games achieved great success on Steam despite how it was almost necessary to own a gamepad.

my game "perfect universe" is targeted at console (but I have decided to do a pc version). It is a collection of 9 games, 2 of which I really cant see a way to do with keyboard.

to explain why it cant really be done, in these game modes you control the legs of an alien directly (each analogue stick maps to a foot)
original prototype video here:

I am worried that not supporting keyboard may anger steam users and end up doing more damage than simply not being played by those without gamepads?
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 03:49:08 AM »

couldn't it be done with awsd + arrow keys?
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 03:53:04 AM »

That prototype video looks quite fun. I'd buy it Wink

I think the key concern here is that you need to make sure everyone KNOWS it cannot be played without a gamepad. Both DkS and Brothers had giant warnings on the store page to ensure that players were aware of this. As long as you make sure this warning is seen, I don't think requiring a gamepad would be an issue.

Will Sykes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 04:46:11 AM »

That prototype video looks quite fun. I'd buy it Wink

I think the key concern here is that you need to make sure everyone KNOWS it cannot be played without a gamepad. Both DkS and Brothers had giant warnings on the store page to ensure that players were aware of this. As long as you make sure this warning is seen, I don't think requiring a gamepad would be an issue.

I have just posted a link to the original prototype if you would like to play it Smiley

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=49442.0

( http://willsykesgames.com/Downloads/MrLegsPrototype.rar )
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 04:46:46 AM »

I don't have a gamepad. *shrug*

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 04:53:38 AM »

get one
mouse/keyboard games are not real games
*shots fired*

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 05:03:43 AM »

they are art
starsrift
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 06:54:12 AM »

get one
mouse/keyboard games are not real games
*shots fired*

*at maximum condescension* I'm glad you have an opinion, princess.
/ shots fired back
// back at ya
/// shots fired back at ya
//// oh fuck I'm too old for this shit

As is coding.

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 06:55:17 AM »

If you consider yourself a gamer, I believe you have a gamepad.
Heck, you can get a basic gamepad for relatively cheap. There's no absolute need to get the XBOX/PS3/4 ones if you don't own the console.

Yeah.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 07:10:11 AM »

Yeah getting a gamepad is so cheap these days and it's incredibly useful for a variety of titles. I think anyone who is serious about PC gaming should own at least one. Preferably more than one if you plan on playing any sort of local multiplayer game.

starsrift
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 08:01:41 AM »

Yeah getting a gamepad is so cheap these days and it's incredibly useful for a variety of titles. I think anyone who is serious about PC gaming should own at least one. Preferably more than one if you plan on playing any sort of local multiplayer game.

Okay, convince me, bud.
Take into account that I've always, always been a PC gamer, never a console one. I like gamepads for driving sims (Need for Speed), and... and that's about it.

Why would I learn a new control scheme and conventions, and for what games, besides the vanishingly few number of games that "require" a gamepad, to play?
(And keep in mind that I don't play platformers).

As is coding.

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 08:21:37 AM »

Okay, convince me, bud.
Take into account that I've always, always been a PC gamer, never a console one. I like gamepads for driving sims (Need for Speed), and... and that's about it.

Why would I learn a new control scheme and conventions, and for what games, besides the vanishingly few number of games that "require" a gamepad, to play?
(And keep in mind that I don't play platformers).
Y-you don't play platformers? That is an absolutely massive genre you're missing out on!

I'm not really a console gamer either. In fact I haven't bought any stationary console in the last 9 years since the launch of the Wii. The reason I got a gamepad initially was so I could play Dark Souls on PC. But after I purchased it, I came to realize that it's excellent for lots of other things (although I would argue it's still worth buying a gamepad just for Dark Souls alone). I've started using it for platformers, 3rd person adventures (Psychonauts is a big one), local multiplayer games, and when emulating console titles on the PC.

In general, I find it more comfortable to hold a gamepad. You can sit far away from the desk and still maintain full control of the game. It's not precise enough for FPS and RTS games, but I will happily switch to a KB+M setup for anything where the mouse precision is actually needed.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic