Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411506 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 10:29:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)3D thread
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 192
Print
Author Topic: 3D thread  (Read 937168 times)
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3440 on: September 25, 2015, 05:21:36 AM »

now you've made me notice a super annoying artifact on the normal map of the belt

Azure Lazuline
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3441 on: September 26, 2015, 03:46:12 PM »

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: September 27, 2015, 12:19:53 PM »

Thanks for posting all of that Rakugaki-Otoko!

@Mittens Sweet armor  Hand Thumbs Up Right
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3443 on: September 27, 2015, 10:30:39 PM »

a crêpe

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: September 28, 2015, 07:55:30 AM »

Mittens, whatever game you're making these for is going to both look jaw-dropping and require and amount of processing power capable of hacking into the pentagon. Also is that outlining I see? Gorgeous!

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3445 on: September 28, 2015, 04:43:34 PM »

Mittens, whatever game you're making these for is going to both look jaw-dropping and require and amount of processing power capable of hacking into the pentagon. Also is that outlining I see? Gorgeous!

I hope it won't be too intensive to run, unreal engine 4 seems very fast so far, everything is running very smoothly on my computers, granted there is no world details yet, but I hope things stay fairly fast.
And yes, I'm trying out a subtle outline shader, I think it helps separate visual elements from the background, which is something we had real issues with in Kingdoms Rise.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3446 on: September 29, 2015, 05:51:22 AM »

more armoire

owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3447 on: September 29, 2015, 01:04:20 PM »

I've been lurking this thread for a while, figured I'd finally post something. All stuff I'm working on for Small Radios Big Televisions. Mostly low-poly, all in-engine.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: September 29, 2015, 02:13:22 PM »

It's more flat poly than low poly, it is reminiscent of low poly in style
/geeking

next time stop me before I geek Huh? I'm horrible

owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3449 on: September 29, 2015, 02:16:28 PM »

It's more flat poly than low poly, it is reminiscent of low poly in style
/geeking

next time stop me before I geek Huh? I'm horrible

Interesting. I've never heard flat poly and low poly referred to separately, what's the difference?

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3450 on: September 29, 2015, 02:42:56 PM »

Flat poly is when you have the hard edge and no texture work, generally it's all vertex color information and one normal per surface ... Or not in modern hardware, all vertex normals have the same direction which mean more information stored. In fact in modern hardware poly count is less important than vertex count, so to have flat polygon like in this illustration, it actually duplicate each vertice and break the surface in triangle, so adjacent triangles don't share the same vertex internally. That mean that smooth surface have less vertices than broken surface, so it takes less space and less computation.

The reason that the flat retro inspired look is call low poly is because early 3D couldn't do texture (heavily) nor have a lot of polygon (starfox snes). To give you a reference the playstation could only do up to 3000 textured polygons per frame (60fps) when optimized (naive implementation was at 800) and 6000 flat. Another reference is that the DS is capped at 2048 poly (no matter what it is hardware). That's low poly ... count!

So you can have flat shaded scene with a high polycount (which is beautiful done right as you certainly know).

Kinda relevant but not really is also the problem of overdraw and fillrate (affect resolution of both texture and screen).

owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3451 on: September 29, 2015, 02:55:30 PM »

Flat poly is when you have the hard edge and no texture work, generally it's all vertex color information and one normal per surface ... Or not in modern hardware, all vertex normals have the same direction which mean more information stored. In fact in modern hardware poly count is less important than vertex count, so to have flat polygon like in this illustration, it actually duplicate each vertice and break the surface in triangle, so adjacent triangles don't share the same vertex internally. That mean that smooth surface have less vertices than broken surface, so it takes less space and less computation.

The reason that the flat retro inspired look is call low poly is because early 3D couldn't do texture (heavily) nor have a lot of polygon (starfox snes). To give you a reference the playstation could only do up to 3000 textured polygons per frame (60fps) when optimized (naive implementation was at 800) and 6000 flat. Another reference is that the DS is capped at 2048 poly (no matter what it is hardware). That's low poly ... count!

So you can have flat shaded scene with a high polycount (which is beautiful done right as you certainly know).

Kinda relevant but not really is also the problem of overdraw and fillrate (affect resolution of both texture and screen).

Fair enough. I would still call this low poly simply due to the fact that for a similar scene done in a more realistic style the meshes would need a much higher poly count to fit in. Perhaps a more accurate description would be "Low-poly as relative to modern hardware and game art".

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: September 29, 2015, 02:58:57 PM »

No pro,  How many poly there is in that image by the way?

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: September 30, 2015, 04:13:17 AM »

Owendeery, I really like the second one with the cool lighting! I'm a big fan of dark, Rembrandt-like lighting... and strange machinery with curvy cables... that hits a lot of my personal sweet spots Smiley

I finally got my t-rex skeleton modeled and rigged for an area I'm taking in a new direction. A day and a half well spent! It's not 100% scientifically accurate though... I took some short cuts heheh!

Talk about tedium! Every bone, which is it's own object, is parented to a bone of the armature... But worth it!

A quick material... I'll have to adjust it when I put it in scene probably but it's a step in the right direction.

owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3454 on: September 30, 2015, 06:44:24 AM »

Owendeery, I really like the second one with the cool lighting! I'm a big fan of dark, Rembrandt-like lighting... and strange machinery with curvy cables... that hits a lot of my personal sweet spots Smiley

Thanks! That's some pretty intense detail in that skeleton.

No pro,  How many poly there is in that image by the way?

I don't have an exact number but based on the assets used I would estimate 800-1200 tris.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3455 on: September 30, 2015, 08:48:43 PM »

vestry

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: September 30, 2015, 09:16:32 PM »

For some reason the cleanliness and style of these reminds me of a medieval Destiny. I mean that as a compliment btw, every time you give updates on these models I just kind of look at them like they're eye candy OuO

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: October 01, 2015, 01:21:23 PM »

Owendeery, thank you! Skeletons are odd that way- they are beautiful and refined through millions of years of trial and error, but are only there for function, not form.

Such beautiful texturing on those armors, Mittens! Especially the difference in textures- Metal and cloth are easy to have looking distinct, but there's a huge difference in the cloth of the cape, and the cloth of the pants and other clothes. Not to mention the leathery texture on the belts and stuff!

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3458 on: October 04, 2015, 09:33:49 PM »

yay hair

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: October 04, 2015, 09:44:18 PM »

But ther would be afro hair (not just "afro" hairstyle, fuck english)

Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 192
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic