Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 08:24:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhall[Free] [Browser] QuadraDigger - Gameboy-inspired block-stacking puzzle
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Free] [Browser] QuadraDigger - Gameboy-inspired block-stacking puzzle  (Read 736 times)
metafarion
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 30, 2015, 05:28:40 PM »

QuadraDigger
QuadraDigger is a free HTML5 block-arranging puzzle game in the style of the original Gameboy handheld console. Feast your senses on spectacular four-color graphics and a chiptune arrangement of Hungarian Dance no. 5!  Controllable via keyboard or touch interface.

What it's all about
You need to dig a hole to reach the center of the Earth! Don’t ask why, it’s not important! Rotate and arrange the blocks to fill the gaps in the dirt and blast your way down. Clearing more blocks at once creates bigger explosions and more points. The game looks familiar, but you will quickly find that it behaves in unexpected ways:

• Blocks do not fall on their own, rather, the ground moves up.
  • Blocks can be placed on walls and ceilings, not just on the ground.
  • Explosions cause blocks above to fall and collapse into different shapes.
  • Filling the spaces between dirt blocks triggers an explosion even if it doesn’t span the entire width of the well.
  • Blocks can be moved upward.

Give it a try! Blow some stuff up! Betcha can’t make it all the way to the bottom!

Play QuadraDigger
(seriously, play it right now)

Current project: Harmonia Tactics - A realtime turn-based strategy MMO based on Shining Force III
Moth
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 07:48:13 PM »

Super fun and satisfying! Very well made and clever little puzzle game. Good job Smiley

metafarion
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 09:33:39 AM »

Hey, thanks!  Now that the browser version is stable, the plan is to start adding features, skins, game modes, additional music, etc, and also producing a native mobile app that can handle music.

Current project: Harmonia Tactics - A realtime turn-based strategy MMO based on Shining Force III
Mariofan0
Level 0

Your Local Nintendo Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 09:54:48 AM »

This looks great, for such a simple game. Perhaps you should add a mode that has you digging to the other side of the Planet as a way of both increasing the challenge of the game, and for those longer play sessions or even an Endless Mode?

In the end I could imagine this game will really take off. Can I ask if you have any long term plans for this game? Like features you thought of adding, new modes, or content?

You wanted a signature? Boy I bet you're dissapointed.
metafarion
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 05:01:41 PM »

This looks great, for such a simple game. Perhaps you should add a mode that has you digging to the other side of the Planet as a way of both increasing the challenge of the game, and for those longer play sessions or even an Endless Mode?

In the end I could imagine this game will really take off. Can I ask if you have any long term plans for this game? Like features you thought of adding, new modes, or content?

Yeah, totally! We've been brainstorming a lot of different possible variations on the game, some more likely to actually happen than others.

• Graphical skins: In addition to the Gameboy look, we were tossing around ways to borrow distinctive visual styles from other consoles, e.g. the SNES style could have something that resembled Mode7 or the pre-rendered graphics in Donkey Kong Country.  Maybe the PS1 version could have really low-poly 3D blocks.
  • Additional music tracks: So far we have votes for Beethoven's 7th, mvt. 2 and Dvorak's Serenade for Winds
  • More game modes: It seems likely there will be some kind of puzzle mode, in which you are given a full board of dirt and blocks and a one or two blocks to place to achieve a certain outcome.  Also, Time Attack mode, in which scoring is based more on how quickly you dig down versus how good your combos are.  One that I'm pushing hard for is some kind of enhanced mode with power-ups and dirt blocks of various levels of durability that either crumble extra easily or require multiple blasts to break through.
  • In my wildest fantasy: Two player support - two people people and two boards, digging down as quickly as they can, and triggering combos which causes their opponent to receive much larger and clumsier blocks of 5+ squares to place.

I do like your idea of an Endless Mode, or at least one where the difficulty doesn't ramp up quite so quickly.  Keep 'em coming!

Mariofan0
Level 0

Your Local Nintendo Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 05:18:26 PM »

Yeah, totally! We've been brainstorming a lot of different possible variations on the game, some more likely to actually happen than others.

• Graphical skins: In addition to the Gameboy look, we were tossing around ways to borrow distinctive visual styles from other consoles, e.g. the SNES style could have something that resembled Mode7 or the pre-rendered graphics in Donkey Kong Country.  Maybe the PS1 version could have really low-poly 3D blocks.
  • Additional music tracks: So far we have votes for Beethoven's 7th, mvt. 2 and Dvorak's Serenade for Winds
  • More game modes: It seems likely there will be some kind of puzzle mode, in which you are given a full board of dirt and blocks and a one or two blocks to place to achieve a certain outcome.  Also, Time Attack mode, in which scoring is based more on how quickly you dig down versus how good your combos are.  One that I'm pushing hard for is some kind of enhanced mode with power-ups and dirt blocks of various levels of durability that either crumble extra easily or require multiple blasts to break through.
  • In my wildest fantasy: Two player support - two people people and two boards, digging down as quickly as they can, and triggering combos which causes their opponent to receive much larger and clumsier blocks of 5+ squares to place.

I do like your idea of an Endless Mode, or at least one where the difficulty doesn't ramp up quite so quickly.  Keep 'em coming!

I think that perhaps in general having the ground get more resilient the deeper you go would be a fairly logical mechanic you could add.
I can also imagine it being great for a Leader Board assuming you can stick one in there.
I also think perhaps when your done with the project, trying to recreate the game in C++, or something, so you can say release a Console Version, Tablet Version, and so on, would be a really interesting endeavor to take up, and possibly net a decent profit, even if sold cheaply, Though I don't doubt that it may be beyond your skills.

I do like the concept, its a simple change, but has incredible potential I'd say.

You wanted a signature? Boy I bet you're dissapointed.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic