Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1028961 Posts in 41336 Topics- by 32936 Members - Latest Member: Pudding

August 01, 2014, 04:21:00 PM
TIGSource ForumsCommunityCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit Competitionokkuplektor [finished]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Author Topic: okkuplektor [finished]  (Read 32467 times)
0rel
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: March 08, 2009, 03:30:15 AM »

[2014-04]
source released
https://github.com/0rel/okkuplektor

[2009-07-09]

okkuplektor_final2.zip
(audio problems hopefully fixed)

[2009-05-01]

okkuplektor_final0.zip

[2009-04-17]

new test candidates:
okkuplektor_beta3_mingw0.zip
okkuplektor_beta3_msvc2.zip

[2009-04-16]

okkuplektor_beta3_msvc1.zip
changes:
* improved OpenAL installation checker
* statically linked c-runtime library
* floor texture fix in rotor level
* other minor changes

[2009-04-09]

here some screenshots of all levels in the current build: okkuplektor_beta1.zip

[2009-04-08]

okkuplektor_beta1.zip

minor changes:
* levels rearranged
* infinite lives
* small texture and timing fixes

[2009-04-07]

tweaked beta released.
several small refinements,
but no new content added...

okkuplektor_beta0.zip

[2009-04-06]

okay.
that's it.
time's up.
Screamy
sooo...

here's the current state of the experiment:

okkuplektor_alpha0.zip

-> extract the archive somewhere before playing. then, "play.bat" should do the rest (it automatically updates OpenAL files, if necessary).

-> after first startup, it takes several minutes to precalc data (primarily audio files). after the first run, it should load much faster...

-> please don't hesitate to report about bugs and errors, because i'm trying to build a real engine somewhen... any comments/tips/ideas appreciated.

[2009-03-08]

hi all!
i'm a bit late to the gathering, but i had no clear idea yet what i really wanna do... the only clear thing was that i finally make some low poly 3d stuff this time, probably in space (whatever space means Wink )... probably i'll stick with some basic lazer shooter type of gameplay now, just to not get lost in too hazy concepts without a working engine to back them up. so, i'll be already glad if i get some stereotype gameplay up that actually works...

in the past days i was working on a entity/collision framework and a simplified animation/level "toolchain" with scripts in blender... it was really hard to make a the objects/environment feel consistent enough in high-res (and to make it run on a normal laptop).. all tests i made with 3d so far were either to expensive or felt too sparse and cold somehow... because of that i finally switched to real lo-fi-3d yesterday (with a glorious 256x256 render to texture technique)... i think i'll leave it like that for now and concentrate more on the content now... here some techy screenshots of the engine tests going on right now Beg

« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 01:22:41 AM by 0rel » Logged
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 03:39:30 AM »

awesome name and models / textures. Hand Thumbs Up Left Gentleman Hand Thumbs Up Right what's that on the second screenshot?

0rel
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 04:08:25 AM »

thanks.

ahm, the colored thing there?

: it's rainbow power space shit :

err... seriously, just testing some random meshes + textures Smiley...
i'm trying to find some bigger idea for the levels/style.
today.
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 05:31:10 AM »

Heh, the low-res low-poly style really looks nostalgic and very pretty! Good styling, looking forward to see what game play you will pull off!

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
jph wacheski
Level 1

It's only a matter of folding time and space,..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 06:07:22 AM »

looks interesting,. keep it wierd!

http://iterationGAMES.com
"Some hipster groups have everything to do with motorcycles, whereas others have nothing to do with them."
ArmchairArmada
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 08:52:27 AM »

I love the retro low-rez look.  It made me want to play Descent ... so I did. Grin
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

the last ottumway

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 09:14:07 AM »

wow, youre producing some amazing stuff! i really love the soft grittiness

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
increpare
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 09:54:14 AM »

looking very good.  the low-res ones tickled my fancy more than the higher-res shots, though that might be largely due to the generally sexier texturing going on in them.
Andy Wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 10:50:33 AM »

i like the looks of this

0rel
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 02:10:50 PM »

thx @all!

i'm really happy to make a game again Smiley

@ArmchairArmada
yes, 'Descent' was great (but when i try to play it these days, it's just much too hard, i thought...).
but it's still on my unwritten "inspiration-list"... i'll try to make the steering quite similar to that in 'Descent'. i liked that omni-direction space corridor feeling a lot there. it won't have gravitation, but i can't give it complete freedom in all directions (i don't have the math skills to that (needs quaternion rotations afaik), and it's too confusing anyway). - the the vertical camera rotation will be limited, so that the player will move just like in a first-person-shooter, but just without gravitation (simply because the collision with the floor and stairs/ramps are too complicated to do right...).
btw: do you know 'Forsaken', for the N64? it's quite similar to 'Descent', but easier, and it has a very special mood... and space-biker style. i really enjoyed that one... it's even freely available now! : http://home.comcast.net/~wlm00/files.htm (too bad that i never got the keyboard mapping right on the pc...)

@jph wacheski:
i'm a bit afraid of all that weirdness Smiley. somehow i want to make it mario-world-cartoon-cuteish, but somehow - yes - weird/bizarr/artsyfartsy and then there are the cool japanese sci-fi abstract vector- shooters... i'll try to mix that all up when i find a way to do that Roll Eyes

@increpare:
@michael:
the low-res ones tickled my fancy more than the higher-res shots
soft grittiness
yea... i felt the same way as a made the switch yesterday... really, was quite astounding how the basic feeling changed... low-res "adds" some magic brain grains to the graphics (especially when in motion), feels just denser, fuzzier and much warmer somehow... and it's earsier to make, cheaper to process and not wanna-be-next-gen at all... i like it a lot more too. obviously.
though that might be largely due to the generally sexier texturing going on in them.
it's actually exactly the same. Blink

here (almost) all the (still very undecided/unfinished) concept doodelings i've got so far for the game ...pretty random... i know. but i just enjoyed to draw again Smiley, and i've decided to post some ongoing progress about the game here...

« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 02:15:06 PM by 0rel » Logged
michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

the last ottumway

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 04:51:17 PM »

what ever the fuck it is, its beautiful  Undecided

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 04:04:34 AM »

Those concept images are great! If you can keep even just a small amount of their awesomeness in the final game, it'll be one to watch.

I particularly like both of these!

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
0rel
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 05:33:27 AM »

Quote from: fiber optic asparagus link=topic=5134.msg165889#msg165889
can it be [i
rainbow laser panda [/i]shit?
nono.. it's his! Tongue

@Synnah:
nice to know! - i'm really torn between very different things... too different, even underdeveloped things. but... i'll have decide what fits best, i guess. - thanks for hint in a POSITIVE direction... i want that too.. weirdness/negative, colds stuff is just easier to do, somehow... hm, we'll see.

i'm in testing mode again... so i don't care too much about the outputs. just testing around... hope i can concentrate on the actual game enough, to get it done in time. - probably, i will only post things really about the game here from now on, when there's something to test out... it would be too spattered otherwise.

modeled a simple "space frog" creature this morning, to find good tech-limits for the all models. turned the resulotion down quite far this time. current limit for enemies/items fixed at 200 faces / 32x32 rgb texture.

(156 Vertices, 154 faces, 32x32 texture)

(the same model ingame (shadows are probably too expensive to do nicely; i let them away for now...))

jph wacheski
Level 1

It's only a matter of folding time and space,..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 06:20:31 AM »

that is some really nice looking images,. what are you sketching with?  makes nice softness blendy things,. this may be unpopular however i think i like the highter res screen shot,. could be different in motion though.., 
stay focused on finnishing somthing, and adding more if you have time,. my effort this time was to start by building a basic shooting game and THEN add to that the actual stratagy game I have in mind. and it is working so far, as I have a sorta' playable now and can just keep adding to that,. peace.

http://iterationGAMES.com
"Some hipster groups have everything to do with motorcycles, whereas others have nothing to do with them."
0rel
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 08:50:42 AM »

good advice...  i really shouldn't try to pack too much into this small game right now. it won't get finished then.. - basic gameplay comes first! that part is already relativly clear, it's gonna be a shooter, and i have even some soso working code for it, but the point is, that to make it a really playable game, i have to create a level, fitting enemies and weapons... however.. i'll keep doing a darkish corridor shooter. it's the most realistic thing i'm able to do right now. hover craft with small cockpit, a bit like in your game, but more indoor... lazers.. sounds. - all the other things in another game in the future maybe...

@skteching: i recentely ordered a a5 wacom tablet, and now i'm trying to get into software drawing a bit. it's a nice experience... but you're right about the blendy softness. i never did it before, but i recently found out, that it's really a cool way to model shapes with the "smear tool" (either in photoshop, gimp or even in the texture-paint-mode in blender), but you're right, it's like with airbrush pictures too: things often look just too smooth that way, and start to get glossy cream sauce very fast.  it's still a handy tool to "morph" shapes freely. after that it would be probably good idea to add more clear details and edges on top, but that needs time... no pic was finished... Lips Sealed
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic