Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:52:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 739 740 [741] 742 743 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2327252 times)
barley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14800 on: April 05, 2013, 05:50:52 AM »

I've never heard of him either.

If you recommended one of his books for the uninitiated to start with, which one would you recommend?
The Player of Games is the one everybody always seems to recommend. It gives some pretty good insights into how the Culture works but it's a pretty straightforward story so it's not overwhelming. Consider Phlebas is good too, and most of it is from the perspective of the Culture being the bad guys, sort of. Both of those are really good books.

I think he might not be as well known in the US. I did buy a couple books when I was over there but they were well hidden away.
He's a good author, but I don't like the sort of colonialist old-britania ideology pervading the culture books
I'm not so sure that's really his ideology at all. If anything, he's pretty critical about the Culture being flawed, despite being a utopia for the people living in it. I mean it's obviously influenced by imperialism and it mirrors the idea of spreading "freedom" and "civilisation" that British colonialism dressed itself up as, but I think he focuses a lot on how amoral the Culture is as a civilisation, especially in the methods it uses to annex other civilisations.

I don't know. For all I know, you could be right and he could have a hard-on for the ~good old days~, but I've never really got the impression that he was putting the Culture and the things it does forward as good things.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #14801 on: April 05, 2013, 09:47:51 AM »

Holy shit!
Why i didn't thought of that earlier 0_o

Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14802 on: April 06, 2013, 08:06:44 AM »

Iain Banks wrote some stuff about these cool spinning spaceships that created gravity and stuff.

So long and thanks for all the pi
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14803 on: April 06, 2013, 08:11:57 AM »

Did anyone watch Vice's new show on HBO? It's really good gonzo journalism and the first episode mainly focuses on child soldiers around the world.

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #14804 on: April 06, 2013, 08:35:42 AM »

-Whiteclaws-

Level 0 -> Level 1

Attack +1
Defense +2
HP + 10
Indie + IT'S OVER 9000 !?

Xp to next level : 99
Whiteclaws learned : AngryHand Knife Right (Useless Posts are fun !)
Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #14805 on: April 06, 2013, 08:49:26 AM »

@caiys , hey , I heard your name before , wait ... you told me you never heard of tigsource ?
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14806 on: April 06, 2013, 09:26:47 AM »

apparently, you didn't get the message...

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #14807 on: April 06, 2013, 09:33:31 AM »

who cares , you are getting free cake ( The cake was... ok , I get it , I use that joke too much   Epileptic )
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #14808 on: April 06, 2013, 09:35:30 AM »

level up!: wherein moi is dismayed to find that someone has beaten him at his own game

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Leon Fook
Level 5

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile
« Reply #14809 on: April 06, 2013, 12:01:07 PM »

Meme overload. Shutting down.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14810 on: April 06, 2013, 12:02:43 PM »

Live by the shitpost, die by the shitpost.
Conker534
« Reply #14811 on: April 06, 2013, 12:09:36 PM »

its a sad life..
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14812 on: April 06, 2013, 03:38:39 PM »

Since nobody has posted real words on this:

I will miss Roger Ebert and his opinions -- all of them; the movie reviews and the other things, most notably for people here his rejection of games having any real validity as a medium. I used to be pretty bitter about that; I take games seriously and it's always angering -- or at least depressing -- when someone says, "Hey, this thing you really care about and want to use to impact people is totally worthless." He also said some other things I thought were stupid and crazy in his blog; I remember one post in particular saying "women are better because they're gentler and more compassionate", which I found to be harmful both to men (obviously, since it suggested we are less capable of kindness) and to women (because of the inevitably carried implication that women are also more fragile, and because the statement rejects more bold or aggressive personalities in women as not feminine). He was critical of certain religious beliefs as well, and he wasn't very polite about it, which bothered me, as a religious person; some people believe some things, others don't believe in anything, and nobody is better or worse for it; I think it's pretty childish to go around making fun of people about their worldviews.
But at some point, I realized something: he was writing all these things on his blog, and they upset me, but I was still reading his blog. And at this point in my life, I was far past reading things to get angry on purpose. I was getting something out of this. So I gave up the bitterness. And when I heard he had died, I was sad about it.
Roger Ebert was a person. He was a person and he had opinions, just like the rest of us. And even though I disagreed with many of his opinions, I still found them interesting enough to read, and they made me think, so I benefited from them. And I might not be able to say that about some people I like, so that's a commendation.
And, of course, all this is skips entirely the importance of his actual career and the significance of the rest of his life, but plenty of people have already covered that better than I could.

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14813 on: April 06, 2013, 03:45:35 PM »

someone made a "cake is a lie" joke at me at GDC THIS YEAR. 2013 FOR FUCKS SAKE.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #14814 on: April 06, 2013, 03:52:08 PM »

i actually think ebert was right on the money with a lot of the things he said about games...
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14815 on: April 06, 2013, 03:53:08 PM »

...and cakes.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #14816 on: April 06, 2013, 04:00:46 PM »

i actually think ebert was right on the money with a lot of the things he said about games...

i agree with a lot of his stuff, although i disagree with his points about how player agency ruins authorial expression or w/e. ("romeo and juliet as a game player gets happy ending art is ruined" etc.) doesn't make sense cuz you can still put a slant on each outcome in a thing that has player choice, which still communicates some message from the author.

also the whole discussion (insofar as it was a real discussion) was largely one of semantics, since ebert used a pretty strict definition for the word "art"
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 04:06:56 PM by Blademasterbobo » Logged

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14817 on: April 06, 2013, 07:16:17 PM »

rogert ebert loved rap and country

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14818 on: April 07, 2013, 06:07:30 PM »

spelunky 2: indie's revenge
confirmed FALL 2013
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #14819 on: April 07, 2013, 08:09:04 PM »

On kotaku there is a doc about camera mounted on cap at all time ... Guess what FPS is going to evolve, I have seen where they will pick their new aesthetics! Expect cop fps in the future with plenty shaky cam!

Pages: 1 ... 739 740 [741] 742 743 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic