Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411506 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 09:55:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1096 1097 [1098] 1099 1100 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2327187 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #21940 on: July 09, 2015, 05:47:25 AM »

wait what vid r u talkin bout?

i thought you were talking about a video for one of your gams. i am confuse.

EDIT: oh nvm ur talking about the song. im dum Tongue
jiitype
« Reply #21941 on: July 09, 2015, 06:01:55 AM »

So is most of your songs in fake swedish or what?

lol listened to one of their finnish songs, that was awful :D
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #21942 on: July 09, 2015, 06:05:51 AM »

Listening to dialectal Swedish is a very weird experience. It feels like I've suddenly become too stupid to understand words.

The only reason I know some dalmål is because my grandma won't stop speaking it. She's also the only person in my family who doesn't understand English, which results in a predicament when my American boyfriend comes over because they don't have any language in common with each other.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21943 on: July 09, 2015, 07:29:20 AM »

So is most of your songs in fake swedish or what?
No, but they're in "standard" language, and most of the time when people think they're hearing a "dialects" it's really pretty much the same standard language except with a regional pronunciation as a relic of the *actual* dialect that used to be more widely spoken in the area, which would've had more differences in pronunciation and vocabulary, and more importantly probably some differences in grammar from the standard language. To the point where people don't realise that such dialects are around as well. It's sad.

Listening to dialectal Swedish is a very weird experience. It feels like I've suddenly become too stupid to understand words.

The only reason I know some dalmål is because my grandma won't stop speaking it. She's also the only person in my family who doesn't understand English, which results in a predicament when my American boyfriend comes over because they don't have any language in common with each other.
Elfdalian tho, if that's what you mean, is an actual different language that separated very early, and not a dialect. But you are thinking of actual dialect?

That's kind of an ironic situation, too. Colloquially, Norwegian dialects which form a mostly intelligible dialect continuum with the Swedish ones get called a different language due to geopolitical reasons, whereas true, unintelligible languages, like Elfdalian, often get called dialects because they're in the same country.

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #21944 on: July 09, 2015, 08:29:33 AM »

Elfdalian tho, if that's what you mean, is an actual different language that separated very early, and not a dialect. But you are thinking of actual dialect?
Yeah, I'm talking about the Swedish dialect of dalmål that is spoken in the area around Hedemora, Borlänge, Falun and Säter.
Hä gån't nå. - Det går inte. It doesn't work.
Sulla int me joppen. - Grisa inte med potatisen. Don't make a mess of the potatoes.

My grandma lives in Österby so it's what she grew up with. Here's a youtube video with some examples (I'm not super good at dalmål so I can only understand about half of these sentences):

A famous example of dalmål is the song "Köppäbävisan" about a guy who says he's gonna jump in the river if he doesn't get a hot dog. "Fån't ja en körv så huppe ja i älva."

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21945 on: July 09, 2015, 08:33:12 AM »

That's pretty similar to genuine dialects in general. Many forms and words and pronunciations that are common all over the country. No problem.

The Ostrobothnian was really interesting, tho. Seems to have some rudimentary case inflection still. But I understood most of it after listening a few times and getting a feeling for how to be listening to it.

My girlfriend from the far west of Norway seemed to understand it better than Swedes from eastern Sweden, even tho they're the closer ones who should be understanding it. That's what I mean. Depressing.

jiitype
« Reply #21946 on: July 09, 2015, 10:17:50 AM »

No, but they're in "standard" language, and most of the time when people think they're hearing a "dialects" it's really pretty much the same standard language except with a regional pronunciation as a relic of the *actual* dialect that used to be more widely spoken in the area, which would've had more differences in pronunciation and vocabulary, and more importantly probably some differences in grammar from the standard language. To the point where people don't realise that such dialects are around as well. It's sad.

I guess, but naturally these things just change. And you can't stop the change Panda

I was reading about some finnish dialect stuff, there's something called "meänkieli" in Sweden and "kven" in Norway and apparently they are considered their own languages, but they are both CLEARLY just finnish. What's the point?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #21947 on: July 09, 2015, 10:42:30 AM »

i spoke standard german as a kid (hey im from a bourgeois family and my mom's a german teacher Tongue), but ive trained myself to use viennese dialect in everyday conversation more bc it sounds better than standard german w/ an austrian accent (imo).
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21948 on: July 09, 2015, 10:57:10 AM »

I guess, but naturally these things just change. And you can't stop the change Panda

I was reading about some finnish dialect stuff, there's something called "meänkieli" in Sweden and "kven" in Norway and apparently they are considered their own languages, but they are both CLEARLY just finnish. What's the point?
Attitude does make a huge difference tho. Dialects are thriving in Norway because people are aware of them and encouraging them, loving the multitude. In Sweden they're mocked. We could have the lovely Norwegian situation but we don't.

And yeah. I watched a bilingual children's programme in Swedish and Meänkieli once. I understood everything, and I'm still severely lacking in Finnish vocabulary. Dum politics.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #21949 on: July 09, 2015, 04:27:33 PM »

It's a fucking fridge  Tired

jiitype
« Reply #21950 on: July 09, 2015, 04:31:59 PM »

Idk the design is kinda cool
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21951 on: July 09, 2015, 04:53:27 PM »

.... since a lot of kids are playing cod , are they aiming those kids mums with the fridge?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #21952 on: July 09, 2015, 05:43:03 PM »

note to self: if ever encounter this fridge in someone's home, abandon all contact with the person
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21953 on: July 09, 2015, 06:42:15 PM »

It's a lot more functional than the swag most games give out.
Conker
« Reply #21954 on: July 09, 2015, 06:59:23 PM »

Thats pretty cool I wish I had a mini fridge in middle school.
JWK5
« Reply #21955 on: July 09, 2015, 11:14:55 PM »

note to self: if ever encounter this fridge in someone's home, abandon all contact with the person
By the time you encounter the fridge it will have already been too late, you were in the crosshairs of a twitch-aim sniper hiding under the kitchen table the whole time. Your only hope for survival is to yell out to your assailant that you've had actual human contact and be ready to make your escape while he's momentarily paralyzed by emotional discord. You'll know you've reached safety when the racial slurs and barely elementary school level insults become too faint to hear. Nobody will blame you for climbing into the shower and curling up into fetal position while weeping for the future of humanity.

Also, I have the "Dook hut! No fapping!" sign from the outhouses in Borderlands 2 on my bathroom door.

You won't believe how many times I've had to awkwardly explain to guests what "fapping" is. It is both hilarious and shameful.

Mostly hilarious.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 11:36:05 PM by JWK5 » Logged
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21956 on: July 10, 2015, 05:26:02 PM »

RoosterTeeth/AcievementHunter did a Rage Quit vid on my little side project, haha.
The traffic has been AMAZING for the demo download.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB_-BHOByik&feature=youtu.be

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21957 on: July 11, 2015, 06:50:35 AM »

This years comiccon seems depressing. Also it appears that no one is going for fun, its just panelists and cosplayers who curse their fate.
And news from there are boring. #kylo_ren just highlights how boring mass culture has become.
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21958 on: July 12, 2015, 04:11:22 PM »

Satoru Iwata has passed away. Sad

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2015/150713e.pdf

jiitype
« Reply #21959 on: July 12, 2015, 04:30:08 PM »

Only 55, that's awful. Nintendo will never be the same without him.
Pages: 1 ... 1096 1097 [1098] 1099 1100 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic