Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 01:21:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRed Rogue
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 69
Print
Author Topic: Red Rogue  (Read 236646 times)
st33d
« on: October 03, 2009, 02:56:09 AM »

THE GAME

Visit the site for download links or where to play online.

Historical Builds:

There were more of these, but changes in the Flash player have rendered a number of them broken. Thanks Adobe.

• Empty dungeon demo - just the rogue alone in a dungeon
  • Combat demo - a level with some monsters to fight. Changes to the lighting effected - including less background contrast
  • Build 300 - Music, Races, items, spells, traps, and much more in the game. Still much more to be done.
  • Build 376 - Nearing completion. Experimenting with pace and tying up loose ends.

MUSIC & SOUND

Music and sound by Nathan Gallardo

SOURCE

The project is open source on GitHub.

http://github.com/st33d/red-rogue

RESEARCH

Some of the tech I'm uploading as open source examples. Feel free to make use of these.

DESCRIPTION

WHAT IS IT?

Red Rogue is a sidescrolling roguelike-like made with Actionscript 3.

HOW DOES THAT WORK THEN?

Like Rogue but from side on. You attack by shoving your opponent. You can Goomba-Stomp monsters for a stun/knockback. You can be stunned too. So combat revolves around being leveled up enough to get into a shoving match, or finding a ladder to climb up so you can stun your enemies. Due to the nature of the combat there's no jumping, but this means we get gameplay much more similar to the original Rogue and if you don't think that'll be worth playing, then go play Tony Pa's Tiny Game - it'll be like that but with smooth movement.

No jumping makes it not a platformer you say? Wait till the end game, I have a surprise for you.

Not conforming enough to the Berlin Interpretation you say? There is a dogmatic mode in the options that allows you to play without time actually passing until you take an action (like walking).

TELL US ABOUT THE LOOT

There is weapons, armour, and runes. Weapons and armour have levels just like you.

RUNES?

I started to model the magic system on Rogue and I realised that I could save myself a lot of work by simplifying the whole system to one item that casts magic. But a very versatile item. Like magic items in Rogue, all of the runes start off unidentified. You have to cast them to find out what they do or use an identify rune. Unless of course you have the chaos rune, which will always have an unknown identity.

HOW VERSATILE?

Say you have the heal rune. If you eat it, you get healed. You throw it, it heals what it hits. You cast it on armour and it heals you slowly when worn. You repeat cast it on an item and you improve the effect, so you better collect a lot of that rune and cast it on a decent item for it to be worth it. Effects are instant or temporary, unless they are cast upon items. Thus the question, how does one best use this spell?

Of course I don't tell the player what the exact effects of runes are, leaving it up to the player if they want to be stupid enough to cast a bleed rune on their armour or a heal rune on their sword.

And there is some other unexpected effects too, magic is be highly unpredictable. Sometimes an enchantment sending an item into a mini-dungeon, sometimes a thrown rune being absorbed by a wall and transforming it.

CAN I PLAY IT?

That link at the top that says PLAY.

ANY SCREEN SHOTS?

I'm did all the graphics myself, so I went for a black and white with red blood theme. In homage to Rogue's lack of informative graphics.

DECAPITATED?

That's what happens when you score a critical hit on a kill. You knock their head off and you can boot it along like a football. I spent an evening putting it in because it amused me. Someone suggested the decapitated heads inflict damage, so I put it in.

Then someone suggested you should be able to wear heads as hats. Crush a head and you get a face. Wear the face and you become that race and gain its special abilities whilst wearing it (you will of course not have the rogue's racial bonuses in the mean-time).

There is also a chance to tear out a heart in combat. This is effectively the potion system. You eat the hearts of your enemies to regain health.

WHEN IS IT RELEASED?

It's out, go get it.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 05:02:38 AM by st33d » Logged
N
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 04:40:26 AM »

Seems pretty interesting.=)
Keep us informed!
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 04:48:47 AM »

Rouge Rogue?
st33d
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 05:26:22 AM »

Good god I wish I'd thought of Rouge Rogue!

Rouge might be a good release name actually!
Jason Bakker
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 06:01:31 AM »

Looks pretty cool! One thing though - she isn't red!

(Unless that's intentional, in which case Embarrassed)

Her being red in a b/w world would look pretty cool Kiss

Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 06:03:47 AM »

Just paint her red with blood of slain enemies.  Well, hello there!
deathtotheweird
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 02:17:03 PM »

looks promising,

but the character is hard to make out against the background, but i suppose it would be better in motion?
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 01:27:27 AM »

Red Rogue
Looks pretty cool! One thing though - she isn't red!
but the character is hard to make out against the background, but i suppose it would be better in motion?

Colouring the main character red seems to me like the obvious choice.

Game looks cool! Looking forward to the demo.
st33d
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 04:12:24 AM »

We've found at work that the human eye is very good at detecting motion, so it doesn't matter how much characters blend in with the scenery. Plus the rogue is generating light, it's pretty obvious where she is.

The polymorph rune obviously complicates having the main character coloured red, because that would mean doing red versions of all the monsters.

But as a compromise, I've added a function that tweaks a character's colour transform into blood red slightly with each kill (which means your minions will get bloodier too as they rampage).
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 05:14:49 AM »

Hm, I wonder if you would get it that they are being stained with blood if you fade them to red...?

If you have a red main character you could use the colour tweak on monster sprites when they are you polymorphed.

Ah, nevermind use your red as you like it :D
Jason Bakker
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 06:11:38 AM »

But as a compromise, I've added a function that tweaks a character's colour transform into blood red slightly with each kill (which means your minions will get bloodier too as they rampage).

Haha, this sounds perfect to me  Grin

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 10:29:28 AM »

looks pretty cool. like the art and would like to see it in motion. on the skull kicking why don't you make it an attack. kick a skull into a dudes face.the skull breaks on impact no matter what it hits. it would add some timing stuff to the game, wait for the approaching enemies to get in close and then wham. 

Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 09:09:28 AM »

I'm very interested in this, hope it leads to something awesome.

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 10:04:01 AM »

Good luck with this! seems like you have a good approach. I particularly like the text window, could be a lot of fun having that "roguelike commentary" on your realtime antics.
I had a few aborted attempts at making a 2d platform roguelikes myself.

I like that it's called Red Rogue, which immediately implies "Rouge" but without actually being that common misspelling of Rogue Smiley

valkrin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 07:29:03 PM »

!! Whoa. I like. Very much.

What are you coding this up in? I'd like to contribute to your coding efforts if my skills would be of use.

Best of luck, and please finish this. The world needs more rogue games.
Fauxfox
Level 0

Never knows best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 03:00:12 PM »

Wow yea I  really like this game just seeing what i have. I think Red Rogue should stay as it is, seems perfect to me.

I'm crappy with pixel art but if you need illustration for it or summin ^^

st33d
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 03:15:50 PM »

Well, thanks for the offers. I've gotta get over the hump before I accept though.

I'm really stuck with the dungeon generation algorithm right now. I went with an Angband style room generator and am looking at how I can then connect all the rooms.

I've hit some coding walls in my time but this is fucking steep.

When then floor is even, who cares what path goes where? But then you have to take a ladder to get there, it all goes to hell.

I even put a key logger in the other day so you could cheat code some runes out of the game. It stopped me from dealing with the dungeon generator.

Gotta keep going...

one...

step...

at...

a...

time...
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 04:28:19 PM »

procedurally generated platformer...stuck with the dungeon generation...
I feel your pain. Concerned

In other news this sounds completely awesome.

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2009, 06:35:39 AM »

Wow, awesome idea! I hope it turns out well.
LeFishy
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 01:01:50 PM »

Dungeon generation is my favourite thing in the world. It's hard but ultimately satisfying when you finally get something that consistently creates good results.

In other news I love this concept. Please let me douse myself in the blood of my fallen enemies :>
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 69
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic