Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411631 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 05:51:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTrixie Treasure
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Trixie Treasure  (Read 57982 times)
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2011, 12:10:10 PM »

Update

• Added the extra grass tiles.

• Added flags for removing borders on tiles, so I can "embed" materials in others.

Fun times!

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: September 15, 2011, 01:36:19 PM »

Update

• Couple more anims! I haven't posted any anims in a while, but most aren't that exciting, and some are secret. It's largely just covering more collision / movement situations, like crawling off ledges.

Unlikely pose time.

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: September 19, 2011, 12:44:51 PM »

Update

• Made a start on the third upgrade. Rather more complex to make than the first two. Should have made decent progress on it by the end of the week.

dek
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 19, 2011, 03:17:20 PM »

Very fluid looking gameplay, nice!

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2011, 02:11:54 PM »

Update
Rejigged the way things are rendered, so it's easier to draw UI, objects, etc etc. No direct progress on the third upgrade, it'll have to wait until next week.

Thought I'd try and picture the gloves and boots upgrades a bit more clearly.

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 21, 2011, 02:36:55 PM »

Gread art style. She is pretty and attractive without being hypersexualised, naked or a stereotypical manga girl. She looks normal, which is a compliment and rare in games! Gentleman

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: September 21, 2011, 03:13:58 PM »

Thanks! My drawings aren't especially consistent in style or talent, but that's the kind of thing I aim for with Trixie. I try to not make her too stereotypically girlie, despite all the pink. She has a personality in my head, which I can hopefully get across in the dialogue and whatnot.

richy486
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: September 22, 2011, 03:00:56 PM »

Thanks! My drawings aren't especially consistent in style or talent, but that's the kind of thing I aim for with Trixie. I try to not make her too stereotypically girlie, despite all the pink. She has a personality in my head, which I can hopefully get across in the dialogue and whatnot.

Seems to come through in the animations anyway, she seems very determined.

Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: September 22, 2011, 08:19:55 PM »

Gread art style. She is pretty and attractive without being hypersexualised, naked or a stereotypical manga girl. She looks normal, which is a compliment and rare in games! Gentleman

QFT. Trixie feels like she's cut from the same mold as other excellent female characters like Samus (before the last Metroid) and Jade (from Beyond Good and Evil, not the Mortal Kombat one).  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: September 23, 2011, 10:09:41 AM »

This is looking fantastic! Keep up the good work!

Master of all trades.
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: September 26, 2011, 01:37:06 PM »

I love Jade in Beyond Good & Evil, so that comparison makes me extremely happy, Destral!

Update

Added a minor animation and progressed a bit on Upgrade 3 by implementing that bit of UI I was working towards last week.

Just getting back into the groove of working daily after a busy weekend away from home. Reading everyone's support makes it much easier, very inspiring, thanks.

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: October 08, 2011, 02:03:00 PM »

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've not really had a day of doing nothing for about a month, and ran out of energy. Made some progress today though!

Update

Did a bit of secret code. Secrecy makes for boring devlog updates unfortunately, but I don't want to reveal every aspect of the game or there'd be no surprises.

Also did a first pass on some new tiles. I feel I've been getting a bit bogged down in the idea of keeping the game's setting sort of realistic. I was going for a mediterranean sort of location, but I don't work that well if I have to try and work from references and fit it all into tiles and stuff. So I'm thinking of going for a more fantastical, vaguely tropical feel where I can pretty much do what I want. It'll allow me to vary the scenery up more across the game's map, too.

The background is rather rushed but it should give a general idea at least.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: October 08, 2011, 02:10:16 PM »

Does it have to be realistic? Mario and other games in that style are more abstract with their map architecture and graphics.
Chris Polus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: October 08, 2011, 02:19:03 PM »

This looks super cute. I'm sure my niece will like it. She's just learning using computers. She doesn't yet know what _exactly_ she is doing but she can already play simple platformers Smiley And very well so! Looking forward to your game (also for playing it myself, hihihi)

Best,
Chris

http://stillalive.games
Drone Swarm, Rescue HQ, Bus Simulator, Son of Nor
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: October 08, 2011, 02:30:59 PM »

Does it have to be realistic? Mario and other games in that style are more abstract with their map architecture and graphics.

Well it doesn't have to be super realistic, but I don't want it to be abstract either. It has to feel like the same universe as Treasure Treasure, and as a Metroidvania I think a more believably detailed world is more interesting to explore.

This looks super cute. I'm sure my niece will like it. She's just learning using computers. She doesn't yet know what _exactly_ she is doing but she can already play simple platformers Smiley And very well so! Looking forward to your game (also for playing it myself, hihihi)

Unfortunately this isn't really a simple platformer, though don't let that stop you letting her try it! Smiley It's not like it'll use more than directions and a couple of buttons, but it's not just left, right and jump either.

Chris Polus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: October 08, 2011, 11:21:28 PM »

Unfortunately this isn't really a simple platformer, though don't let that stop you letting her try it! Smiley It's not like it'll use more than directions and a couple of buttons, but it's not just left, right and jump either.

I'll report back, this will be great fun Smiley I wonder who'll play more, her or me  Big Laff

Just FYI, last time I saw her play a platformer was almost 6 months ago (she then was a little over 2 years old). She jumped on platforms, found "secret passages", jumped on monsters. I wonder what she can do by the time your game comes out, you know what I mean? Wink Kids are learning with lightspeed. I just say it's amazing what kids do these days when they grow up surrounded by computers.

What's your planned release date btw?

http://stillalive.games
Drone Swarm, Rescue HQ, Bus Simulator, Son of Nor
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: October 08, 2011, 11:25:36 PM »

I do know a girl who's about three I think and can do all the walljumping and stuff in Mario Galaxy.

No planned release date, I'm just chipping away at it. If I can keep decent momentum going, then maybe about the middle of next year? Who knows! Probably best not to think about it...

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: October 09, 2011, 10:20:11 AM »

Update

Today I improved and refactored some of the code, working towards adding scenery entities. I added some scenery to my previous mockup.

All of the bushes and stuff would be individually placed. Scenery will also have the ability to animate.

I've decided that the day-night cycle that I did a quick prototype of near the start of the project isn't feasible. I didn't have any gameplay ideas for it, so it's not a great loss. I just decided that I'd rather spend the time adding more variation and details to the scenery, instead of coming up with four different palettes for everything in the game.

Relix
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 09, 2011, 11:42:09 PM »

Really liking the vegetation, makes it look like old ruins instead of tourist attraction ruins.
Do you plan to add some harmless small animals and bugs too?

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: October 10, 2011, 04:35:38 AM »

Yeah I'd like to get some wildlife in there too. Not given it a lot of thought yet though.

Looks like this week at work will be a crunchy one, so my productivity may suffer yet again.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic