Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411574 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 06:26:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsglObe [Animal Crossing / Fantasy Life] Life Simulator
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: glObe [Animal Crossing / Fantasy Life] Life Simulator  (Read 3329 times)
ThunderAwesome
Level 0

Myyeehhhhh seee!

View Profile WWW
« on: October 30, 2017, 10:32:26 PM »

Intro

This game started development in 2011 when I was first getting familiar with Unity3D, programming, and general game dev best practices. I got REALLY into the idea of making a multi-platform, multiplayer, modularized game. Over the years, I would pick away at the parts of the game. Things like the inventory system, dialog, or even the way the characters looked. But I never had time to 100% dedicate to this project.

At one point, I had a prototype that worked on Android, iOS, Windows/Mac/Linux, Web, and any other platform Unity3D would target. I even had multiplayer working so I could join on any device and play with other people. That's a HUGE deal to me! I want people to not be limited by platform. I want people to connect and play no matter what system they have.

So, here I am 6 years later with greater skills, no distracting day-job, and all the passion I had at the beginning of the project. I don't have a deadline for this, but I won't let it take me another 6 years to get this done.

Set up "charging" your fishing rod so you can cast your line further.

Also, added some fish to the water!

Story

You find yourself shipwrecked on an island after a very recent storm. When you come to, you are greeted warmly by the island chieftain who happens to point out that your ship is broken and beyond repair. Your pockets are empty and you are stranded. The chieftain tells you to introduce yourself to the local island folks while she prepares a place for you to stay.

Upon doing so, you will discover the currency, trade, and skills needed to help the locals rebuild their island and advance their technology and fishing prowess. Heck! If you work hard enough, you might be able to set sail again.

Gameplay

The gameplay is very similar to Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon, and Fantasy Life.

The game centers around fishing. You will learn the tricks of the trade on the island and become a master fisherman/woman. Some of the tools you'll learn to use will include:

• Nets
  • Harpoons
  • Fly Fishing Rod
  • Fishing Rod
  • Scuba Diving

...and many other things!

Fish notices the bobber and swims towards it!

Tools/Assets

Release

Soon™

Progress

I'll be posting animated gifs when I have them ready.

NOTE: Not sure if I'll be sticking with plaid. The art style is kind of up in the air still.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 11:50:41 AM by ThunderAwesome » Logged

ThunderAwesome
Level 0

Myyeehhhhh seee!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 01:12:16 PM »

Started fiddling with line renderers and sprite billboarding for the fishing line and bobber.

tjpalmer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 05:40:20 PM »

I love the animation. And I've heard said that everything good in life happens because of a deadline. Consider imposing some if you're serious about this!

ThunderAwesome
Level 0

Myyeehhhhh seee!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 06:03:27 PM »

Agreed! I work best when I am making games for unchangeable dates like people's birthdays or holidays if the game is a gift for someone. I also like using conventions I'm attending as strict unchangeable deadlines. Great advice!

jmas
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 07:39:16 PM »

Finally someone who likes Animal Crossing-like games! Can't wait to see how this turns out

ThunderAwesome
Level 0

Myyeehhhhh seee!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 07:48:37 PM »

Finally someone who likes Animal Crossing-like games! Can't wait to see how this turns out

Yay! Glad you share the same interest as me Smiley

bastrick
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 09:20:47 PM »

Looks interesting! Would be a suitable port to mobile as well. Good luck on this one! Smiley

Website - Twitter
-- Currently working on: The Sixteenth Promise
-- Previous work: Frore Inc.
danresn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 04:16:02 AM »

The plaid does have a charming/quaint aesthetic that seems to suit the vibe

Composer | Sound Designer
www.daniel-larsen.com
ThunderAwesome
Level 0

Myyeehhhhh seee!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 06:55:51 AM »

Looks interesting! Would be a suitable port to mobile as well. Good luck on this one! Smiley

I'm definitely interested in making a mobile version. It'll be tough to compete with the new Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp that is coming out. I'm hoping to find a way to give more control to players so that content in glObe is User Generated and works on multiple platforms. We'll see if that's doable!

ThunderAwesome
Level 0

Myyeehhhhh seee!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 07:06:22 AM »

The plaid does have a charming/quaint aesthetic that seems to suit the vibe

I have been thinking about Yoshi's Wooly World as inspiration for the art. Make everything have a stitched, sewn, or crocheted look to it. Ultimately, I want to keep it within the realm of my skillset - simple. I do agree. The plaid is charming! I might make it so you can customize your characters skin with patterns like plaid or other options.

ThunderAwesome
Level 0

Myyeehhhhh seee!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 11:06:12 AM »

Started experimenting with 3D tiles. The goal is *hopefully* simple -> Convert the Tiled tile data into 3D prefabs inside unity.

This will speed up creating levels and open it up to players wanting to create their own acres (10x10) chunks to spawn into the game. I REALLY want to make this game fan-driven and as accessible to creatives as possible. User generated content is key to keeping a game in this genre alive. Heck! Competing with a monolith of content in Animal Crossing games is already terrifying.

Example texture mapping using a test spritesheet to get the idea across.

nickgravelyn
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 11:27:25 AM »

This looks really cool. I love the idea of chill life simulations like this. I agree the tiles will make it a lot easier to build out things in game which could be very cool for players.
ThunderAwesome
Level 0

Myyeehhhhh seee!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 02:10:27 PM »

This looks really cool. I love the idea of chill life simulations like this. I agree the tiles will make it a lot easier to build out things in game which could be very cool for players.

Heck yes! Life simulation games are my jam! Glad you like them too.

I'm interested to see if I can pull off this 2D Tiled stuff and convert it to 3D prefabs. Your vote of confidence helps me determine that I may be on the correct path.

tankorsmash
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 05:02:27 PM »

This seems like it could be really neat. Could you talk a little bit about what you've gotten in the game so far and what's left? Having all the fishing over multiplayer sounds really impressive!

Would you say that the fishing system as it exists is like Stardew or more like a traditional 'wait for a prompt'? Or have you come up with some sort of crazy style of like a SV minigame crossed up with a guitar hero style match-the-beat haha. I couldn't really get a sense of it but the assets look really nice and I'm very curious about what you've built so far beyond what we've seen.

Keep it up!

ThunderAwesome
Level 0

Myyeehhhhh seee!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 05:43:19 PM »

This seems like it could be really neat. Could you talk a little bit about what you've gotten in the game so far and what's left? Having all the fishing over multiplayer sounds really impressive!

Would you say that the fishing system as it exists is like Stardew or more like a traditional 'wait for a prompt'? Or have you come up with some sort of crazy style of like a SV minigame crossed up with a guitar hero style match-the-beat haha. I couldn't really get a sense of it but the assets look really nice and I'm very curious about what you've built so far beyond what we've seen.

Keep it up!

Very good questions! I'm still in the early stages of figuring out what would be the most intuitive and fun way to catch fish. With that in mind, here's what I've been experimenting with currently:

• The fishing rod can be charged up to cast further into the water.
  • The landing spot for the bobber must be on water; otherwise, the animation will be cancelled.
  • I'm a fan of the simplicity of Animal Crossing's fish shadows and landing the bobber as close to them as possible. Mixing that with Fantasy Life's challenging reeling in of fish and it makes it satisfying to catch tougher fish.
  • There will be other fishing methods like casting a net nearby the shore or off the deck. Harpooning fish. Scuba diving (which will have all sorts of new ways to gather fish), and deep sea fishing on a boat eventually!

I hope that answered your question about the fishing system. It's still bare bones and barely implemented. So anything can change. Oh! And thanks for the compliments. The art I'm using is from unity asset store packages (Most of the environments at least). I'll be making my own assets after I get the core gameplay set up.

mpixel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2017, 10:11:50 PM »

Seems like a great concept. I'm looking forward to reading more updates.

ThunderAwesome
Level 0

Myyeehhhhh seee!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2017, 05:50:47 PM »

Seems like a great concept. I'm looking forward to reading more updates.

I'm glad you like it! I'll have more gifs to show soon.

ThunderAwesome
Level 0

Myyeehhhhh seee!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2017, 10:23:14 PM »

Set up "charging" your fishing rod so you can cast your line further.

Also, added some fish to the water!

EJlol
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2017, 06:18:40 AM »

I like the style. Can't wait to see more of it. Smiley
jmas
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2017, 06:39:54 AM »

Yeah it's already starting to look really good

Pages: [1] 2