Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411573 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 01:00:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSparky - Really Horrible Demo Up!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Sparky - Really Horrible Demo Up!  (Read 20137 times)
Kramlack
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2012, 01:17:58 AM »

The new waterfall looks delicious.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2012, 03:48:45 AM »

The new waterfall looks delicious.

Agree with this and the new bloom is also looking alot less full on and more fitting.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2012, 11:46:15 PM »

Thanks.

's another devlog video showing the game progress that I've made. The insects now explode on contact with Sparky or any solid objects.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2012, 04:34:32 AM »

One thing I noticed that definitely needs a change is those giant pillars in the foreground that obstruct your view of the level.  They should be transparent and a bit smaller.

Hope to see more enemies soon.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2012, 05:36:07 AM »

That water running feature is looking great. Also like the technique you use at the start to leap from the platform onto the wall then platform.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2012, 08:16:39 PM »

So, I finally stepped out of the bounds of my stupidity to find that I had a Linux live CD that I could try to use to port and test games on Linux. And it worked surprisingly well - ~30 FPS on Sparky, and this is without actually installing either Ubuntu, or the graphics drivers for my card. Smiley

anselm_eickhoff
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2012, 06:16:36 PM »

I just saw your game in the "Today I created" thread and wanted to let you know that it looks awesome! Bonus points for BGE.

Looking forward to more enemy types/gameplay elements.

GentlemanHand Thumbs Up Right
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2012, 06:17:48 PM »

@anselm_eickhoff - Thanks. Smiley

Finally got back around to working on this. Fixed up a bit of the math so that movement should perform better. Also implemented a "You're Ionized, Dummy" sound and changed the music filtering when you're Ionized. Still trying to get around to doing something with level design. Next step should probably be the dog's smash attack. Now, the question from a couple pages ago still needs to be answered - should I give the dogs attacks to break objects, or just let them boost through stuff to gain Ions?

EDIT: Aaand just squashed a bug that arose from me not paying enough attention. :I

P.S. I've got a Twitcher now. (Can I link to it like that?)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 06:38:34 PM by SolarLune » Logged

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2012, 10:03:46 PM »

I like the separate attack from boost. Think it adds more gameplay and allows you to still attack when not charged. But guess if you want more of a speed run feature then the boost through stuff is definitely more suited to that.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2012, 12:39:02 AM »

@Franklins Ghost - Thanks for the input - I programmed in the separate attack, which is good.

Right now, I'm trying to replace a collision sensor object with a ray cast function. Vector math's being an annoying idiot. Lips Sealed

EDIT: I ended up leaving the object in there. It feels fine, as far as I can tell...

In any case, I should have something playable sometime soon... I was totally going to upload a demo, but there's some sort of sound problem with the standalone executable that I'm not seeing. It's too late for this right now, anyway, so I'll figure it out later.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2012, 12:29:44 PM »

Hey. So I finally got a demo download up, if anyone wants to test it out. Just know that it's a very, VERY early alpha demo. You can use either the joystick or the keyboard - for the keyboard, X is to jump and C is to boost. Double-tap boost to attack horizontally, and tap down and boost to dive. You can break the light poles to gain Ions. Ions recharge slowly (but faster than my past videos) with time.

Download the demo from here.

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »

Controls don't seem to work. I'm on windows 7 64bit
I'm using the keyboard btw.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2012, 12:42:32 PM »

Huh, really? That's odd. Hold on...

EDIT: I don't see any problems immediately. I'm also on Windows 7 64-bit. Both Joystick and Keyboard controls work for me. What keyboard / layout do you have?

EDIT 2: There's a console that appears with the game. Would you mind telling me what it says, or screen-capturing its output?

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2012, 01:15:29 PM »

It was incredibly hard to capture because it's spamming the console like a madman every frame.
But here it is.

I don't have anything blender related installed btw.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2012, 01:24:34 PM »

Yeah, I just got finished fixing that bug. Turned out to be an issue with the joystick handling code - I never checked to ensure that it was connected. Facepalm Anyway, the download's been updated on the post here. Thanks a lot for helping me hunt it down!

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2012, 02:55:01 PM »

Had a quick play on win7, seems to run all fine. Looking forward to some finished levels to play! Smiley

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2012, 03:02:52 PM »

Works fine now. I really like it so far, can really see this turning into a full fledged game.

I think the horizontal air movement should have a bit less drag; Try jumping into a direction and then turn mid-air, you'll see what I mean. It was hard to get into the vertical "tunnel" when running vertically on the outer wall.

Being able to run downwards on walls would be pretty nice aswell.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 03:31:55 PM by omgnoseat » Logged

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2012, 03:17:41 PM »

Runs fine on my Windows Vista 64-bit system. 
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2012, 08:24:23 PM »

Ran great on my windows vista and game is playing really nicely so far. Like the movement  Smiley

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2012, 10:23:15 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Turns out the demo's listed on IndieDB's front page (for some reason; I guess any demos are displayed there).

Crud, now I have to finish it.

EDIT: And @omgnoseat - You can already run down walls. You just have to keep up your speed when turning around (i.e. don't dawdle). It's not that useful now, though, since you run slower than you would fall. Tongue

I need to either fix that, or just forget about it...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 10:59:44 PM by SolarLune » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic