Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411621 Posts in 69391 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 11, 2024, 01:11:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGreedy Guns - Gunstar Heroes + metroidvania (4y in the making. Coming Sept 1st!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Greedy Guns - Gunstar Heroes + metroidvania (4y in the making. Coming Sept 1st!  (Read 33883 times)
Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2014, 09:25:25 AM »

looking real gud
migrafael
Level 3

Making games, two at a time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2014, 10:39:15 AM »

looking real gud

Thanks!

This a very short update. We've been super busy tightening the controls and enemies so there isn't that much to show.

We added this. Now explosions don't go through walls! Now to find a nice effect for it. Have no idea what..

Need to take some time to make a gameplay video. In the meantime check this out. I've been drawing everyday cause I really want to get better at it. Will need all my skill to fully illustrate the world of Greedy Guns 

On STEAM »
karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2014, 01:19:43 PM »

Nice sketch Smiley I really like your style

What is that weapon? It's a weird crossbow? a sniper rifle?
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2014, 03:10:24 AM »

(...)
What is that weapon? It's a weird crossbow? a sniper rifle?

Thanks! It's a I-never-draw-weapons-so-lets-make-a-quick-rifle-something Tongue

Really need to make some weapon studies

On STEAM »
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2014, 09:38:14 AM »

We added so much stuff last week, really need to make some videos this weekend... 2 player co-op, tweaked animations and bullets for enemies, arenas with enemy spawners, etc..

I've been obcecing with the tiles, again... It all looked to square and to textured and noisy so I started a new tile set. This of course halted everything else Tongue Crap! At least afonso is having fun coding some entries for FlappyJam.

Here's a peek at the new tiles.

I think they're a great improvement over the last tile set. Totally worth it. I hope  Who, Me?

Here's how they looked before.

There's still a lot of work to be done but playing a two player level is already a blast so we are already doing something right Beer!

On STEAM »
Beaulamb1992
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2014, 10:12:00 AM »

Looking like tons of fun! and super crisp artwork man Smiley

migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2014, 08:21:09 AM »

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!  Angry

After a week of work the tiles don't really look that good in the game... And the auto-mapping rules I did on Tiled aren't all that tight. Once again I went back to the drawing board... Here's a cross post from our blog.

Last week I set out to make a new tileset with more variety to it and that would look less noisy. I  thought it would just be a matter of finding the right style and turning it to a tileset. I did it before so what could go wrong?

the old tileset

EVERYTHING!

What looked good in mockups or in small patches of land on the tile editor (Tiled) looked really crappy in game.

Tileset looking decent in the editor

Especially in the bigger shapes, it looked less cohesive. Also, the auto-mapping rules for it where piling up due to my newbness and creating strange artifacts here and there.

Hard edges started to appear because of special corner cases that weren't drawn yet and even though I had two or three different tiles of each, because each tile was so distinct you could clearly see the repeating tiles. Instead of the plain dullness of the previous tile set you have some other strangeness from repeating these singular shapes over and over again.

Why did I just went for it instead of doing a smaller, simpler grayscale tileset to test it out? Oh well, never to late I guess....

After 7 days it is time to simplify.

Ok, this might seem to simple but that's because it is. I needed to go back to basics. Get the basic tiles and the create the auto-mapping rules from these. Simple. Also I took out the green grass tops from the tiles themselves and placed them in a new decorative layer. This way I have to worry less about all those special corner cases.

Instead of all these specific cases with grass on them, I can just have the dirt tiles and then paste some grass on top on another layer. DONE!

So now the rules are working fine like you can see below. All I have to do now get those previous tiles and fit them in this new stylised guide.

Why didn't I do this in the beginning? I though I could just wing it I guess... Big mistake that cost me a week's work. Oh well, live and learn. In the process I became really fluent in Tiled. Maybe I should even do a tutorial or two. Or share the rule files for the auto-mapping why not?

So the big lesson for me was - Never. NEVER, underestimate the value of planing. EVER.

Of course if you plan to much you'll stay still, so there's that as well Tongue In this case I should have been less cocky.

#Flappyjam

While he waited Afonso decided we could do some entries for the Flappy Jam. The first one is already available  here ----> http://tio-atum.itch.io/tap-the-flap

Just a simple take on the game, but with some "better" physics and you have to tap the bird itself Tongue Also, cute mountains!

Coming Soon

We'll, with so much new stuff we're bound to make a video soon. Or several. As soon as I'm done with this tileset! Until then, check out Bob raking in the holo-coins!

On STEAM »
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2014, 11:48:19 AM »

Finally I finished the new tileset. Never again!  Cry I don't think it was so bad it was worth 2 weeks extra work, but oh well...

Thanks to Afonso helping me out with the automapping rules I got everything done. Now do make some levels for the demo!

On STEAM »
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2014, 08:07:33 AM »

Spent the last couple of days trying to create a nice logo for our game. Here is the result...

And to think it started out like this:

And I was going to called it a day after the 3 below...

bu luckily Twitter came to my rescue and inspired me to push forward with a series of changes. Eventualy It turned into this.

Not sure if I should go with the first picture or this last one posted. People are telling me to try and make a frame for it. Going to do it eventually but for now I think it's ok. I need to get back to level making for ao February Demo. Yeah, we're a bit late Tongue

More variations of the logo

https://24.media.tumblr.com/851e4738d3e03ea25537fbbc8f8abe85/tumblr_n1pptmQKsq1rcdqslo1_1280.jpg
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 08:16:53 AM by migrafael » Logged

On STEAM »
tuglaw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2014, 09:20:31 AM »

Nice logo, reminds me of the Gunstar Heroes one, which just makes your game sound even more promising. :D

NoobsArePeople2
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2014, 09:41:50 AM »

This looks pretty great! I think you could use the logo as-is but I offer up two tiny critiques anyway Smiley

1. The light source is coming from above which means the word "GREEDY" should be shadowing "GUNS", but they are both lit the same.

2. You've given the letters some nice 3D depth but the depth is the same for both rows, making them feel slapped together instead of a single unit. Instead think of both rows being on a single plane like this:

This example has a lot more perspective, but illustrates my point. Your logo would have much more subtle perspective.
Beaulamb1992
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2014, 10:24:17 AM »

Looking good guys! i agree with that last comment more perspective with logo would be sweet :D

migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2014, 11:06:47 AM »

Wow! Thanks for all the feedback. I will try to get a nice perspective going and see how it looks. But no promises! This is a two man operation - whatever I make has to have an unanimous approval  Gentleman

On STEAM »
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2014, 03:22:55 PM »

Still haven't tried to get some of that juicy feedback working on the logo since I've been mostly level designing and attending to background details.

BOOOM!

Here are a couple of screenshots. Working on that demo I've been promising...

The Scream fx needs a lot more work but it gets the flies off of you for now.

And here is a VINE of it all in motion. Paralax, some light shafts and other details I just dropped in there.

https://t.co/fkKX7wWMhB

Level Making

Not sure anyone cares, but this is how I start a level. Usually on paper and with a brush marker. No pencil or eraser. Just put down a ton of ideas and situations that seam fun and then go from there.

Do you fine people use any sort of specific paper? Toilet paper maybe Tongue? Or do you go straight to the level editor? 

On STEAM »
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2014, 06:26:34 AM »

Like promised here is the first gameplay video for Greedy Guns! This is early alpha footage so some things will still be subject to change. It's the best time to pitch in your ideas and comments. Wink

Also we have a page on Steam Greenlight Concepts. If you want to check it out please do.

On STEAM »
kraed
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2014, 01:30:15 PM »

My friend, this is going perfect. Love the vibe and energy the game concept carries and also love this particular stylized look. It really looks fresh, it has a nice edge and environment. Please update as soon as you can!

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2014, 03:37:47 PM »

Looks really fun, the shout shield thingy seems like a very helpful mechanic in multiplayer. Curious to see the upgrades you can buy with the money you collect Smiley

migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2014, 12:29:00 PM »

Thanks everyone!

Video update

We have a new video up with the latest changes!

Also here's some screenshots Smiley

Level making

Can't ignore some things anymore.

I've been putting together some levels, trying to get a decent feel for the demo but it's all so fu#$%ng connected. I just changed the first weapon to have a smaller fire rate, so you're not just showering enemies with bullets, and now some of the levels are just too hard. Even the enemies have to much hp for this pea shooter.

So a problem I wish I could deal with later, weapon vs level and enemie progression, has to be done NOW! Rats. And I was having so much fun just tweaking weapon's visuals Tongue

Feedback
Making the game better by listing Tongue

The reason I changed the fire rate is because someone complained it didn't seem to have any tactics to it. Is was just a fire everywhere kind of thing. We'll it isn't now Tongue Sort of Smiley

The good news is it all coming together.

EXTRA VIDEO MEGA WOW VINE

Of, and here's a Vine in case you want to check out the latest machine guns.

VINE VINE CLICK TO SEE ME! Gomez

On STEAM »
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2014, 12:46:28 PM »

Been working hard since Amaze Fest in Berlin. We got to show the game on the open screens and got a ton of feedback. Been building up the first half hour of gameplay. Just needs a boss fight and some little thing here and everywhere Tongue

4 meg gif FULL OF ACTION!

Also I've been making some art changes to some enemies to make them more visibly dangerous. The old ones where just too smooth and didn't really look like they should hurt the player.

A lot more stuff to show. Maybe tomorrow...

On STEAM »
migrafael
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2014, 02:51:56 AM »

Made quite a few set pieces. Some mysterious totems and a healing area

Now back to level design. Need to work on that first half hour and find out how we'll do the dialogues..

On STEAM »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic