Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411673 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 17, 2024, 04:32:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignNon-standard roguelike settings
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Non-standard roguelike settings  (Read 30962 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2008, 11:46:10 PM »

someone make that! Kiss

yeah, because I don't know how to program!

sucks that i'm a pixel artist and most of my recent interest in video games has been about roguelikes  Sad

Learn to code? Sorry if it seems a bit harsh, but in these situations I tend to say "just do it".

Also:

Limbo of the Lost, the roguelike!

That was a completely random idea. I apologize.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 11:51:55 PM by Melly » Logged

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2008, 01:10:15 AM »

Dungeon Keeper RL

An online RL, not like Mangband, best played with few people. One player is the Dungeon Keeper, the others are a party of adventurers, the DK character is a sort of demon, and he can summon creatures and make nasty traps filling the dungeon, the others needs to party and eradicate him

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Lord Ash
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2008, 05:04:36 PM »

Zombie Apocolypse
or RE:the RL

world map is a ruined city, and you have to go into building to get supplies to stay alive, lot of creative weapons, like 2x4, and re-bar.
eventually, you could find a cure or vaccine to win..

-------------------------------------------------------------

Friday Night Bar Hop
or Leisure Suit Larry the RL

WM is the bar district, go into bars, bar fights, use pick up lines to get chicks, etc, win by getting a chic to go home with you

--------------------------------------------------------------

Virus Defender
or Immune System the RL

as in fantastic voyage or what not, you are either a cell, or a shrunk down scientist (take your pic), inside the body, you fight off infections and such, bacteria, virii, etc.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

all I can think of that hasn't been done.
JimmyBignuts
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2008, 12:45:37 AM »

Immune System the RL

"HIV hits you.
You have died."

The common cold would just irritate the hell out of you by following you around and biting your ankles, but would take a while to get rid of.
PenguinHat
Level 1

Hi everyone! Nice to meet you all!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2008, 02:36:25 AM »

Someone has to have done Zombie roguelike already. It can't not exist already.

What about a squad based roguelike? Has anyone made one of those yet? It could be like taking a UFO:Alien Defence (XCom to some people) squad through a dungeon. That could be fun.
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2008, 09:01:01 AM »

Quote from: PenguinSeph
What about a squad based roguelike?

I've been thinking about squad-based roguelikes recently, but I came to the conclusion that you'd have to deviate from the traditional RL turn system for it to work - not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

What I mean is, in XCOM, on each turn, you move each character in your squad 20 (say) spaces and then the enemy "squad" moves all its units N spaces. So a turn is like 30 seconds or so, and kind of artificially split into phases for each team.

In a normal RL each character has something like a 1 second turn where it can take 1 step (I'm oversimplifying, please don't hit me roguelike devs).

If that was extended to a squad you'd have to cycle through your team making one action for each team member... unless perhaps you went for a kind of pausable "real time" (i.e. turns auto-advance) a bit like combat in Baldur's Gate or those eastern European UFO:Afterlight/Aftermath/etc games. In fact, what the fuck am I talking about. I mean "like Dwarf Fortress!*" :D  (*in fortress mode, not adventure mode)

I guess it's not really a problem if you pick the XCOM/Advance Wars turn model and base the game on that, although maybe that would get tedious when covering a lot of ground in the dungeon.

JimmyBignuts
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2008, 09:15:16 AM »

Someone has to have done Zombie roguelike already. It can't not exist already.

Very much so. Though they mostly lack depth.
PenguinHat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2008, 09:40:39 AM »

Quote from: PenguinSeph
What about a squad based roguelike?

I've been thinking about squad-based roguelikes recently, but I came to the conclusion that you'd have to deviate from the traditional RL turn system for it to work - not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

What I mean is, in XCOM, on each turn, you move each character in your squad 20 (say) spaces and then the enemy "squad" moves all its units N spaces. So a turn is like 30 seconds or so, and kind of artificially split into phases for each team.

In a normal RL each character has something like a 1 second turn where it can take 1 step (I'm oversimplifying, please don't hit me roguelike devs).

If that was extended to a squad you'd have to cycle through your team making one action for each team member... unless perhaps you went for a kind of pausable "real time" (i.e. turns auto-advance) a bit like combat in Baldur's Gate or those eastern European UFO:Afterlight/Aftermath/etc games. In fact, what the fuck am I talking about. I mean "like Dwarf Fortress!*" :D  (*in fortress mode, not adventure mode)

I guess it's not really a problem if you pick the XCOM/Advance Wars turn model and base the game on that, although maybe that would get tedious when covering a lot of ground in the dungeon.

Maybe. But you could find ways to reduce that tediousness.

The result my not look and play a lot like normal roguelikes, but change is good.
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2008, 10:01:03 AM »

Yeah, I totally agree. I didn't mean to sound negative! Just thinking out loud really...

Gnarf
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2008, 01:53:26 PM »

What about a squad based roguelike? Has anyone made one of those yet? It could be like taking a UFO:Alien Defence (XCom to some people) squad through a dungeon. That could be fun.
There is Guild: The Roguelike. You control 4 guys in that one. I don't think it's superfun.
Robotacon
Pixelhead
Level 3

Story mode

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2008, 10:46:22 PM »

I'd like to see a RL for DS with pixel graphics and non-standard in every way that makes it a mainstream sell-able product.

To me Roguelikes are like the Death Metal of gaming, if you tweak a couple of parameters you get a commercial product and if you compromise on some of your dogmatic beliefs about the genre you can even get something that could sell to the masses.

I'm 100% sure my 10 year old nephew would play a game like that forever while the traditional roguelikes are just too hard to grasp for him.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2008, 11:18:48 PM »

Robotacon, have you tried Shiren the Wanderer?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248958

This has been my obsession of late.  It combines RL gameplay with persistent characters and a (simple) story.  There are some awesome ideas in this game and it's very easy to get into.  I'd recommend it to anybody.

Or, two words: "Walrus Shield."  It's a shield that has a walrus's head on it that prevents walrus's from stealing your items and then teleporting away.

Robotacon
Pixelhead
Level 3

Story mode

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2008, 01:22:26 AM »

Robotacon, have you tried Shiren the Wanderer?

That's what I'm talking about, I'll check it out for my nephew.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2008, 07:49:00 AM »

To me Roguelikes are like the Death Metal of gaming, if you tweak a couple of parameters you get a commercial product and if you compromise on some of your dogmatic beliefs about the genre you can even get something that could sell to the masses.

I'm 100% sure my 10 year old nephew would play a game like that forever while the traditional roguelikes are just too hard to grasp for him.
There have been a lot of simplified commercial RLs for computers and consoles through time, starting with the "Apshai" games on C64 and coleco(and before that the D&D games on intellivision). I remember playing a randomly generated one on Sega Master system and there were a couple released for Super famicom.
Mostly japanese releases though.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
PenguinHat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2008, 07:59:00 AM »

What about some sort of auto-roguelike?

Instead of controlling adventures, you control some kind of adventurer corporation. You hire adventures, build buildings to train them in, buy/sell and make items and then send adventures down into the dungeon.

While in the dungeon, they wander about of their own accord in real time, and you can give them orders over a radio like thing like "Go for the exit" or "Murder and loot things!" or "Come back to the surface"

You have to make it so that you can make a profit off clearing out the dungeon.

Also, Shiren the Wanderer is great and you should all play it.
LuisAnton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2008, 08:08:14 AM »

I like the Wild West idea. I used to play a RPG (dices and friends and those things) called Deadlands: some kind of steam punk in the wild west with fantasy creatures. So you could be riding a steam-powered mechanical horse (not talking about a train) while gunfighting a werewolf, or playing poker against undead. I loved this game.

JimmyBignuts
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2008, 08:17:13 AM »

Instead of controlling adventures, you control some kind of adventurer corporation. You hire adventures, build buildings to train them in, buy/sell and make items and then send adventures down into the dungeon.

While in the dungeon, they wander about of their own accord in real time, and you can give them orders over a radio like thing like "Go for the exit" or "Murder and loot things!" or "Come back to the surface"

That's a great idea! The only worry I can think off is keeping it fresh for the player given their lack of direct control over the adventurers. There's a chance that the nuances of the challenges the adventurers face would go unnoticed.

EDIT: Actually forget that it would probably work. I was thinking of it as a Theme Park for roguelikes, which it isn't.

In a similar vein you might have a reversed roguelike, where the evil boss at the bottom gets tired of being invaded all day and heads upstairs to destroy the town. There are obvious issues with balance here.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 11:26:28 AM by JimmyBignuts » Logged
cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2008, 10:43:43 AM »

So, sort of similar to the quest system in Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King, but after you say "Hey go here" you would actually give more support during it, instead of spending time doing other random shit whilst they are on their quests.

george
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2008, 12:02:18 AM »

When I read the first line there I immediately thought, 'Car Wars'.
JimmyBignuts
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2008, 12:34:15 AM »

Interstate '76: the roguelike
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic