Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411561 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 05:37:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsLudum Dare (Dec 6 - Dec 8)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Ludum Dare (Dec 6 - Dec 8)  (Read 21744 times)
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2014, 01:56:56 PM »

First time participating in ludum dare.  I thought I did pretty good all things considering.

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-31/?action=preview&uid=45321

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2014, 02:00:07 PM »

GHOSTBOMB.

You made the only good game submitted to Ludum Dare.

I love your game a lot.

Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2014, 05:14:11 PM »

Hahaha. Alright, this is my compo entry called That Dangerous Bridge.

You can check it here: http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-31/?action=preview&uid=10863

christopf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2014, 01:34:08 AM »

Oh yes, this was a pleasure.

SnoutUp
Level 0

Casual

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2014, 03:55:26 AM »

Hi, I manage to make a game, which makes people dizzy! Talk about doing an impact...

Get spinny: http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-31/?action=preview&uid=35485

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2014, 07:27:51 AM »

Why are there so many snowman themed games? Did you guys think that would win, and make a bunch of assets in advance?

bitserum
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2014, 07:45:01 AM »

I think people you really wanted that theme to win, and since the choosen theme wasn't restrictive in that sense... why not?
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2014, 08:58:43 AM »

I guess.

I just can't imagine that many people giving a shit about snowmen.

arrogant.gamer
Level 0

Deep down, you probably agree.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2014, 09:37:12 AM »

This was a fun jam! If anyone from TIGSource participated, let me know and I'll play/rate your game and tweet about it (if you have the twitters). Got to get the word out to our fellow devs!

z.
bitserum
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2014, 10:14:54 AM »

Me neither, it felt like most people were just jumping the bandwagon, but to each his/her own.
Dr. LudoS
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2014, 10:41:15 AM »

If you count the number of post in the LD site where people complain about the chosen theme, I guess it's simply some kind of "protest" move to show that they really wanted that snowman theme to win Wink
And the fact that snowmen is both a funny and season-fitting theme should have helped I guess.

The most complex when rating games is that many games only focused on the "snowman" theme and not on the "entire game on one screen" : some people have made games with multiple levels, or even scrolling, but with a snowmen.

In the end, I guess the important thing is that everyone made a game, a theme is just a "creative kickstart", not an unbreakable rule.

The One Fork Restaurant DX : DevLog - Play current beta version
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2014, 10:57:07 AM »

Snowmen arent funny.

Also every single snowman game is a top down shooter with snowballs.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2014, 10:57:16 AM »

You're thinking too much about the snowman thing. Every LD has a joke theme that people like to fit into their games just for the joke, this time it was "snowman".

Basically, it's a ludum dare meme Tongue

EvanGibbs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2014, 07:19:01 PM »

Oh man, I can't believe I didn't check tigsource throughout the whole jam! Oh well, looking forwards to playing all of your games!

Here is my entry:

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-31/?action=preview&uid=45698

Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2014, 07:27:28 PM »

Damn, I didn't see this post before. I will check the games.

Also I did this game called That Dangerous Bridge. It was a lot of time since I made an entry to Ludum Dare, so I hope you enjoy.

This is my entry: http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-31/?action=preview&uid=10863

VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2014, 12:37:56 AM »

Why are there so many snowman themed games? Did you guys think that would win, and make a bunch of assets in advance?

I think people you really wanted that theme to win, and since the choosen theme wasn't restrictive in that sense... why not?

It's both. As Tuba points out, many LDs have a 'sub-theme', in this case '☃', that people occasionally add to their games. However, at the same time, what seems to be an increasing number of people prepares concepts in advance for themes they feel will likely win (despite it being really against the spirit of Ludum Dare), and it's inevitable some of those had no concept for 'entire game on one screen' and went with their idea for '☃' instead.

The most complex when rating games is that many games only focused on the "snowman" theme and not on the "entire game on one screen" : some people have made games with multiple levels, or even scrolling, but with a snowmen.

In the end, I guess the important thing is that everyone made a game, a theme is just a "creative kickstart", not an unbreakable rule.

It used to be an unbreakable rule, actually. From the old competition rules:

3. Games must be based on the theme.

However, it's no longer in the new rules (which are still under development). It's unclear whether this is an oversight or one of the changes making the rules less strict. I really hope it's the former, but it could go either way.

In either case, games not fitting 'entire game on one screen' should definitely get a 1 for 'Theme' regardless of how much snowman it has. The theme was 'Entire game on one screen', not '☃'.

Snowmen arent funny.

Also every single snowman game is a top down shooter with snowballs.

Good implementations of the sub-theme are possible. For example, Tifu's boss rush game has a giant snowman as one of the bosses. That's how sub-themes should be used.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2014, 06:10:04 AM »

Was able to finish mine with all the weekend distractions and somehow made it to work on monday with 2 hrs sleep. Not the most productive work day but worth it to finish another Ludum Dare.

My idea changed quite a bit from when I first began it but happy with the final result. Even if it is way to short. Feels more like a test of concept then an actual game.

Idea is you are looking through a peephole witnessing a scene unfolding. You know a murder is about to occur but your only tool is to flick the light off to try and throw off the killer before they strike.

murder of Zafu - http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-31/?action=preview&uid=35424

Spent way to much time on the animations so was only able to get one scene in. Had planned more of an impact with the ending and also people to react if you switched the lights off early.

Wanted to use the theme of "Entire game on one screen" a bit different then I thought most people would. Plan was that people would walk out of the scene at the end of each level and new people would walk in setting up the new furniture before the new victims/ suspects arrive. Always using the same screen.

In the end I'm happy with what I have but I don't expect my ratings to be very good because it's so short and unfinished.

sebaslive
Level 0

One of the Four

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2014, 09:12:12 AM »

So many great entries on this list!

Here is mine called EGGOGATCHI

It's a mix between tamagotchi and candybox bringing back memories of playing on those little screened devices.

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-31/?action=preview&uid=24404

Indie all around when it comes to games, films, stories, and art.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2014, 11:42:56 AM »

@Franklin:

Finally! c: Played and rated. Left a comment on there. Same avatar as here.

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2014, 11:55:33 AM »

I'm rating everybodys game here that I can. Pretty cool stuff, dudes.

Heres mine again.
http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-31/?action=preview&uid=26967

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic