Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411658 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 08:41:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Error creating Flash movie; ran out of memory.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Error creating Flash movie; ran out of memory.  (Read 5326 times)
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2010, 09:43:20 AM »

The progress bar for exporting the game gets to about 70%, then I get this error. I don't think this is a Flash problem, but more of a tech problem.

What shall I do/buy?
grapefrukt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 12:09:47 PM »

if you tell us more details it'll be alot easier to help. what exactly are you exporting? very large images, very long audio files or maybe both?
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 12:29:14 PM »

Ok I've got a game, and if I turned my PC on, opened it n rendered it straight away then it'd work fine. If I tried to do that a second time, it'd stop at about 90% and say Out Of Memory, then I'd have to restart the computer. It's a bloody big game, so opening it and renderin the thing seems to use up all my "memory".
I don't know how hardware works, so I don't know what that means.
The last thing I needed to do was shove a big animation on the front of it; so I made a backup and did that. Now I can only export it about 70% of the way before this error happens again. So I'm stuck.

Someone told me to buy more RAM, but I wanna be sure first.
grapefrukt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 12:59:48 PM »

okay. that's a bit more info.
how much ram do you have? does this happen when doing other things?

what operating system are you on, are you running low on ram even before you start?

can you split the game's assets into other files? (this is good for several reasons)
Falmil
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 01:24:48 PM »

What other applications do you have open at the same time?
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 01:37:20 PM »

Windows XP and 1 gig.
I don't have any other applications open; I do this as soon as I turn on my PC, then I go n do something else while it grinds through. There's either nothing runnin alongside it, or a couple insignificantly small things that I don't notice.

I don't usually have this problem; sometimes I get Low On Virtual Memory when I work a lot, but that's not really a big deal.
Before I compiled the whole game into one file, I sometimes got the error just before it finished. Now I get it every time when it's about 70% of the way done rendering.

All the audio and backgrounds are organised in files. I think they also exist in the .fla aswell, cos the .fla is about 234mb, which is fuckin huge.
Even the cutscene animations are in seperate files, it's just that when I put em all together in one file is when I get the problem.
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 01:39:59 PM »

Buy more ram. 1gig really isn't enough, unless all you're doing is surfing the web and a little light word processing.
BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 01:43:07 PM »

Many websites offer advice for getting a "Low on Virtual Memory" error. Essentially, you need to increase the default size of your "page file", and ensure you have a decent chunk of free space on your hard drive.
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 01:44:41 PM »

Many websites offer advice for getting a "Low on Virtual Memory" error. Essentially, you need to increase the default size of your "page file", and ensure you have a decent chunk of free space on your hard drive.
Yeah I did this. I don't know what any o the numbers mean though, so who knows what I actually did.
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 05:18:27 PM »

UPDATE: I came up with a <em>really dopey</em> fix for this today. I kind of put it down for a while, thought about it and came back.

Instead of puttin the cutscenes IN the game, I uploaded them to a generic swf hosting site and I'm using loadMovie(); to load em up in-game. I can export it now no problem and it plays fine.

Kind of worried though; I don't know much about how the internet works, but am I stealing someone's bandwidth here? Is this a big deal? Am I dicking someone over? I don't know!
Problem "solved" anyway, I guess.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 07:14:54 PM »

If you're feeling guilty, throw a splash screen or something in your game at some point that directs to their site.
Advertise for them.

grapefrukt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 11:07:46 PM »

the main issue would be if they decide you use too much bandwidth and just block your file. why can't you host the cutscenes along with the rest of the game?
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 07:22:16 AM »

Flash games get uploaded in like dozens of different places. I'll put it on Newgrounds and Kongregate and stuff myself, but it'll definately end up on like DAVIDSFLASHGAMES.COM or FREECOOLGAMES.NET or a hundred other places.
BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 12:20:51 PM »

It sounds like you are in need of a more robust way to put together your final swf. Have you considered using Flex for the top level stuff, and Embedding all the actual scenes of the movie. This will have much higher limits than the Flash editor.
Falmil
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 12:27:44 PM »

I don't know if I would be worried about your game ending up on the other sites without the swf full of movies. I mean, if you're trying to get the most exposure possible, then sure, but other than that its probably better to make sure the movies are somehow with the actual game.
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 05:56:49 PM »

I bought a new PC; went from 1gb o ram to 3, it's fabulous.

I STILL got this error. Except now I get it in like 10 seconds instead of an hour, so I guess that's an improvement.
God dammit.
st33d
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 01:19:51 AM »

How many classes have you got in the project?

I found out the hard way that there's an undocumented limit on the amount of classes you can have whilst publishing.

I the end I had to pack lot of graphics into MovieClips so I could refer to a wide variety of assets via one class.
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 06:09:17 AM »

I'm in Flash 8 using AS2, so I don't think it's anything to do with classes.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic