Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411643 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 09:03:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeInspiration outside of games
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Inspiration outside of games  (Read 13364 times)
Seth
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2010, 10:53:20 AM »

I do agree that it's hard to think of exciting game mechanics that aren't violent and fantasy and sci fi settings seem to be very good for that.  But take a look at Earthbound and the splash it made--it took place in current day and didn't have to be realistic in its representation, necessarily, but that way it could include parts of contemporary culture into it (hippies and business men).  The game is more interesting to me now as an adult rather than when I was a kid because now I realize it is very specifically a Japanese representation of America.

(ok I guess Earthbound is technically sci fi, but you can easily see how it might not have been)
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2010, 11:12:40 AM »

I've been taking mostly gen. ed. classes these past few semesters at community college and I'm finding it entertaining whenever I learn something new to try and find a gameplay mechanic it can fit into, or something. I mean not necessarily any singular thing outside of games, but just the process of learning is inspiring to try and apply even the most seemingly game-unrelated the things one learns to game concepts.

Also nature and history are great inspirations (even though I abhor history as a subject).

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2010, 12:17:37 PM »

Tangentially related:

When designing a game, particularly one based on real-world or historical topics, it might seem that hard facts, physical principles, painstaking research, and mathematical formulas would provide the foundation for a successful game. Wrong. These and many other seemingly useful tools will have to take a back seat to the real driving force in game design: the psychology of the player. Gameplay is a psychological experience: it’s all in your head.

This is part of Sid Meier's keynote for this year's GDC: http://www.gdconf.com/conference/keynotes.html?cid=GDC10_CADEX7
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2010, 12:50:18 PM »

Call me stupid, but did that keynote already happen? Yeah, I'm that much out of the loop.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
del
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2010, 03:45:51 PM »

Cool discussion with some interesting thoughts. Just thought I'd add one more source of inspiration. The tools that we develop with. I mean is no one else excited when they see what they can do and add to it or the new avenues to develop with. Myself I'm looking for the new things that can be done with FaceBook. It's a whole new avenue of player interaction to play with. Usually people sit and play for a certain amount of time. What can be done if they play a little bit all day long? And iPhone and the GPS thing (one day I will be a cool person with an iPhone and see the cool stuff on it!)

Four Realms. Action RPG. Platformer. Animals.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2010, 08:56:16 AM »

Nevermind about the keynote thing, it's still going to happen, and SOMEBODY HAD BETTER TAPE IT. Smuggle a damn camera if you have to.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2010, 04:05:33 PM »

They always record the talks, but then don't let anyone see them. :(

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2010, 12:39:46 PM »

Are they usually available in torrents?

PIRATES DON'T FAIL ME NOW

nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2010, 04:41:10 PM »

for some creative people talking (from all different industries) TED
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2010, 08:51:39 PM »

PIRATES DON'T FAIL ME NOW

The pirates have better things to pirate, like the latest Hannah Montana movie or something.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2010, 10:19:41 AM »

Angry Curse you pirates. You used to be cool!

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2010, 03:27:20 PM »

They always record the talks, but then don't let anyone see them. Sad

GDC Vault? (formerly occasionally free GDC radio)

Strangely many of the per-year overview pages seem to be missing a lot of material, though it still shows up if you search for it directly by name like most of the 2006 or 2000 & before stuff.

I like jogging and train-rides for encouraging elaborate pondering, but as far as direct sources of inspiration I find travel, history, mythology, nature and how we move and behave pretty interesting, and obviously other media have their share of influence.

I do think it's important to play a wide variety of games, because it does determine the framework within which you approach your own ideas. If you decide to avoid all further games because you don't want to be unduly influenced you will still be going by the limited set of games that you have played already and your pool of inspiration will be all the more derivative for lack of variety.

I remember when I was very little I used to conceptualize all games as platformers, because that's what I played. If you told me there was a game with this or that setting I would be picturing jumping over it. Adventures were an eye-opener...

ink.inc
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2010, 12:30:46 PM »

Films, TV series, anime, wikicrawling... also, having someone else to design stuff with also works great, quite a lot of ideas that me & Zotged have in our games were born when we were discussing our other ideas and then new ones spark from the conversation.

I end up burning hours on wikipedia... never getting anything done.
anisebal
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2010, 11:07:12 PM »

Hey ink

I got some good news for you if you can't find anything in Wikipedia. then try to find in Google and write the proper phrase that is actually you want to find then figure out the result, definitely you will get the answer of your question.

ink.inc
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2010, 11:24:46 PM »

Hey ink

I got some good news for you if you can't find anything in Wikipedia. then try to find in Google and write the proper phrase that is actually you want to find then figure out the result, definitely you will get the answer of your question.

No, no, no. The problem is I DO find stuff on Wikipedia. Waaaaaay, waaaay too many things. There's always that temptation to go one link further.

Like, for example, did you know Oprah's birth name is actually Orpah? And that House is actually Brittish (that one really got me).

And thus, my productivity level basically turns to shit.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 11:31:47 PM by ink.inc » Logged
Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2010, 01:38:49 PM »

Could it be? Does google have a spam bot on tigs?

hey guys i like indiewww.google.comgames check out this sweet site

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2010, 01:47:21 PM »

Oh Smithy.

I used to be your fan.

Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2010, 01:50:39 PM »

I know.
I have fallen.

nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2010, 05:57:23 PM »

Right now I'm really sick and feel terrible, and I have lots of work to do which I can't, and I'm making a frustration platformer. Go figure.

AndySchatz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2010, 06:45:38 PM »

Planet Earth and Blue Planet have always been huge sources of inspiration for me, both for my Venture games and for fantasy stories.

Pocketwatch Games - Monaco, Venture Arctic, Venture Africa
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic