Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411711 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 12:02:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignGames that go on forever
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Games that go on forever  (Read 5484 times)
Conker534
« on: December 28, 2010, 02:35:28 AM »

I was thinking, do you guys prefer games that go on forever, like take a rougelike for an example.. One with randomly generated maps, that keep going forever, or do you like that a game would end on floor 50 of the dungeon, or something. I like video games that go on forever, thats just me though.
Defsan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 03:05:05 AM »

I guess I prefer a bit of both, like in Torchlight where you have the main storyline and then an infinite number of dungeons. Not sure if it's the best example since Torchlight doesn't have a very strong storyline, but you get my idea. I like to have a goal, and something to look forward to, but I also want to play the game indefinitely if I like it enough.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 03:41:20 AM »

I would enjoy "Endless content" or "Endless variety", but I wouldn't enjoy a game that go on forever and there is nothing new in the game in the next level.
Though, it's kind of hard to accomplish. Of course, an easy way to make a game appeal "forever" is multiplayer(mostly RPG games).

I played a game on the SMS called "My Hero", it was a great game, but it seemed to be endless, I am not sure. I played it for a couple hours straight, and it never seem to end. So I gave up playing it eventually.
The game would repeat itself with small varieties, it was pretty fun to play like that for hours, but eventually the fact that I didn't know if it is ever going to end or not has put me down.

Master of all trades.
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 04:04:53 AM »

Probably the only "forever" games that I like are online multiplayer games, such as FPS. Otherwise, I prefer games that you can "beat" in some way. Games like Disgaea combine it well, though - if you go farther into the random Item World, you can make more progress with the story by getting better items and higher levels.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 04:11:26 AM »

I would enjoy "Endless content" or "Endless variety", but I wouldn't enjoy a game that go on forever and there is nothing new in the game in the next level.
Though, it's kind of hard to accomplish. Of course, an easy way to make a game appeal "forever" is multiplayer(mostly RPG games).
Or include scoring.

Also, games like Sim City, The Sims, Europa Universalis, the Anno series, Dwarf Fortress, etc. Though there's usually a point in these games where they stop being challenging/interesting, so you could say that's when you've "won". It's a somewhat subjective goal rather than a clear-cut objective one though...
mirosurabu
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 05:40:42 AM »

I played a game on the SMS called "My Hero", it was a great game, but it seemed to be endless, I am not sure. I played it for a couple hours straight, and it never seem to end. So I gave up playing it eventually.
The game would repeat itself with small varieties, it was pretty fun to play like that for hours, but eventually the fact that I didn't know if it is ever going to end or not has put me down.

Slightly tangential, but My Hero had only three levels (or so) which were repeated forever. Cheesy It was one of those junk games which promised a lot of content in order to attract naive parents.
cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 06:53:11 AM »

I definitely prefer games that have an end. Lately I've mainly been playing short games, though long games do have a lot more potential. Never played an "endless" game that hasn't started to feel repetitive so I'm a bit of a skeptic when it comes to that genre. I do think it's a lot more fun to develop randomly generated content though.
Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 10:55:57 AM »

I really like to have endings in games. I don't mind if you can "play" around in them more, like GTA or whatever, but I definitely like a climax to the story where I can go "ahh, that was a nice finish; I've beaten this game! I mean I haven't done everything but I've completed the main objective that I have been working towards the whole game!"

Preset objectives are fun for me. I really enjoy CoD for its gameplay but also for all the little objectives that I can work towards and complete. Especially in MW2 where challenges unlocked new weapon attachments- nothing was more satisfying than getting that last FMJ kill.

I agree with cactus, not a lot of games have and infinite amount of good content, so eventually you'll either be playing the same or content or bad content. Not fun in either case.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 11:11:23 AM »

I definitely prefer games that have an end. Lately I've mainly been playing short games, though long games do have a lot more potential. Never played an "endless" game that hasn't started to feel repetitive so I'm a bit of a skeptic when it comes to that genre.
I don't really understand this argument, I've never played a non-endless game that didn't start to feel repetitive after I finished it for the 20th time, I don't see the difference. I suppose some people really do need an "A WINNER IS YOU!!" screen though.
iffi
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 11:29:37 AM »

I usually like games that can technically go on forever, but tend not to last long due to increasing difficulty (the first game I thought of was Canabalt). Competing for scores greatly helps the replay value.
Seth
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 06:21:41 PM »

i hate Monopoly
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 09:58:19 PM »

I definitely prefer games that have an end. Lately I've mainly been playing short games, though long games do have a lot more potential. Never played an "endless" game that hasn't started to feel repetitive so I'm a bit of a skeptic when it comes to that genre.
I don't really understand this argument, I've never played a non-endless game that didn't start to feel repetitive after I finished it for the 20th time, I don't see the difference. I suppose some people really do need an "A WINNER IS YOU!!" screen though.
hint: stop playing when you reach the end?

I agree with cacty and contrary tho - being able to play forever is nice, but having an ultimate goal is nicer, I think. Endless games with no such point seem to be mostly an exercise in futility, going forward into the mists of entertainment and reaching for what you know isn't there but which you so desire.

But then I think endless games and sandbox games are completely different - I love sandbox games (for a while), where no goals are really stated and you're just given tools to fuck around with, as opposed to endless games that I think are more like, explicit goals, (survive, kill enemies, keep moving forward, forward, don't stop, don't look back, make it to the end of forever) but no goal is actually the end goal so much as an intermediate step to allow for the completion of more non-end goals?

I dunno.

namre
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 10:13:01 PM »

Hmm... It depends on the games really. There are games that go on forever that I like as long as they offer something that would keep me from coming back. If ever the gameplay or concept is too repetitive, I might lose interest.

A game that goes on forever that I played like hell would be The Sims and Sim City. Grin
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 07:09:07 AM »

Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by forever.

You listed roguelikes as being a forever, but most roguelikes I can think of have a definite ending. If by forever you mean the fact that they are procedurally generated so you never see the exact same content twice then yes, I do like forever games; However, if you mean a game that just goes on and on, then the answer is a definite maybe.  I like Canabalt and Tetris both of which could go on forever if my reaction times/abilities were perfect (Does anyone know if this statement is true?  Is there a point in either Canabalt or Tetris where the delays on the controls would make it theoretically impossible to continue?), but obviously don't go on forever.  On the other hand if the game doesn't get harder as it goes on forever, then no, I don't like them because after a certain point you feel like you have already seen and done everything you can see and do.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 11:35:20 AM »

Hint: Stop playing an endless game when you get bored?

I don't like them because after a certain point you feel like you have already seen and done everything you can see and do.
And what exactly is the difference between that and finishing a non-endless game? Mechanically, the only real difference between an endless game and a non-endless one is that the non-endless one has the aforementioned "WINNER IS YOU!!" screen at some point.

I suppose I don't really understand the mindset of having to have a clear-cut "end", it's a bit like sitting through a movie just to see the credits roll.I don't play games to "beat" them or feel like I've "accomplished" something, I mostly enjoy actually playing the thing. The journey is the reward and all that jazz.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 12:11:11 PM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 03:31:43 PM »

Hint: Stop playing an endless game when you get bored?
yes, pretty much.

tylerthedesigner
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 07:27:25 PM »

I would impose that simulation games tend to be forever in the sense that there is always something more to do. Games like Minecraft, Dwarf Fortress, Rogue Survivor, and Sim City don't have a victory condition, they simple allow to you to play until you can play no more.
However, if that is the standard you use to judge whether a game is endless, many games have endless gameplay that you wouldn't consider. Take Madden for instance. It's franchise mode doesn't have a victory condition. For that matter, Zynga's ville series could be considered endless.

Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2010, 07:15:50 AM »

random six in the morning thoughts:

If the game mechanics are fun enough, then yes and endless mode would be great. I swear that Tim Rogers read my mind when he wished for a procedurally generated Tetris-like game mode for Super Mario 64 that let you endlessly run and wall-jump to your hearts content. I have an indelible love for Super Mario World, so that's why I devour rom hacks nigh religiously.

I think the best of both worlds would be a main game that is finite and thought out, but also has an endless mode to keep things fresh.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 07:08:19 PM »

I tend to stop playing endless games verty quickly.
I like to have a goal and a promise of accomplishment.
Unless the game is really awesome and deep.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 11:55:06 PM »

Is there a point in Tetris where the delays on the controls would make it theoretically impossible to continue?

Wikipedia actually has an answer for this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris#End_of_play

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic