Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411679 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 17, 2024, 10:05:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignShowing Dice in Games
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Showing Dice in Games  (Read 1989 times)
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: December 31, 2010, 02:23:17 PM »

okay guys so a quick topic.

My current game idea I am messing with is using mechanics from the dice game PIG in an RPG setting. so my problem is I am trying to show how something randomly choses from 1 of 6 things. right now I have basically a sprite that changes every frame, but any ideas on cool ways to show this as since the sprite has 5 of one thing and 1 of another its very boring.. I was thinking I could do a spinner but I want something thats not to obstructive as I dont have much screen space.

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 04:03:15 PM »

What came to my mind was a slider. It's easier to read and less distracting than a spinner.

RCIX
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 05:35:16 PM »

You could do a single icon that flashes between the various choices at high speed, a lot like how the dice blocks work on Mario Party.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 06:38:46 PM »

Well I had that before. It's only two symbols in a ratio of 5 to 1. So it doesn't really work to well.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 11:49:02 PM »

3d  Cool

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 11:54:44 PM »

That doesn't make sense, though... in the dice game, you need all the numbers because the higher number you get, the better your score. You could apply it to an RPG with some kind of attack charging multiplier, but what you're describing is just a simplified version in which you have a 1/6 chance to fail, meaning that it's basically the same as a normal RPG with the "miss" chance, but completely random. There's really no point in showing it graphically if you are just alternating between a "hit" and "miss" symbol.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2011, 08:41:51 AM »

SundownKid: I understand what you mean by the scoring mechanic. although I am taking the other part of the scoring concept. the "push your luck" aspect. right now you do have a one in six chance of failing, but instead of attacking and having a one in six chance to miss. I am having it that the swords stack. so as an example:

1. you roll an sword.
2. you choose to re-roll and get another sword.

now you can either choose to re-roll or attack. if you attack you do 2 damage. if you re-roll and get an attack you continue. if you roll the skull. you go back to zero and do no damage.

namre
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2011, 10:25:06 AM »

SundownKid: I understand what you mean by the scoring mechanic. although I am taking the other part of the scoring concept. the "push your luck" aspect. right now you do have a one in six chance of failing, but instead of attacking and having a one in six chance to miss. I am having it that the swords stack. so as an example:

1. you roll an sword.
2. you choose to re-roll and get another sword.

now you can either choose to re-roll or attack. if you attack you do 2 damage. if you re-roll and get an attack you continue. if you roll the skull. you go back to zero and do no damage.
Cool mechanic.

Anyways, regarding your question, here's an idea: How about before the roll starts, all the possible outcomes are shown first. Think of them like cards that you lay face-up on a table to show to the player. Afterwards, you gather them all up and shuffle them into a single icon. Shuffling can be as RCIX has suggested (Or how Mario Kart does the animation when randomizing the power-up). Finally, you show the result of the roll.

This way you achieve two things: You've shown the possible outcomes that the player can expect, and that you have saved space as soon as the roll starts.

Hope this helps.
Retrogames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2011, 04:18:45 PM »

Anyways, regarding your question, here's an idea: How about before the roll starts, all the possible outcomes are shown first. Think of them like cards that you lay face-up on a table to show to the player. Afterwards, you gather them all up and shuffle them into a single icon. Shuffling can be as RCIX has suggested (Or how Mario Kart does the animation when randomizing the power-up). Finally, you show the result of the roll.

I instantly thought a Slot-machine style presentation would work as well.

- Will Armstrong IV -
Level One Game Designer
Kramlack
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2011, 04:23:18 PM »

Dragon Warrior III pachisi track?

If the actual problem is the programming, would it come up with a random number as soon as the player rolls, but plays various (and random) rolling animations before showing the result. That's how I imagine it would work.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 04:36:20 PM »

the coding is not the problem. I am mostly struggling with the graphics. I also thought of a slot machine. I dug out my super mario 2 game to see how its done there. but that dice is pretty cool. and would fit right in between my characters.

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 08:59:36 PM »

I see what you're saying about the chance for multiple attacks. I still think that having your attack power increase depending on what number you roll would be fun, but it depends on how much you like randomness. I can see how it might be annoying, but it would increase the incentive to roll again. That DQ3 snippet was pretty cool and the dice there is probably the least intrusive way to show a dice roll besides just showing a bunch of random numbers and then the result.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 09:14:06 PM »

yeah after thinking about it. I was thinking of having Miss, attack, and attack x 2. I was also thinking about maybe making it so their is gear. and the Attack x2 can be changed to several different things depending on your equipment. such as:

Free roll(next roll no chance of Miss)
attack x 2
Heal.

and maybe some other ones.

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 09:35:13 PM »

The problem with putting different types of attacks on a random dice is that when you absolutely *require* a heal and you roll an attack x2, it will be suicidal. I think a better idea would be to separate the different types by equipment (for example, sword would have different types of attacks, or staff would have different types of heals), and then change the potency - if you roll a 2, you only heal 10%, but a 6 would heal 50% and a 1 would cancel the action. You could even have a multi-roll bonus, for example, 5 rolls would heal the party or something if you're willing to risk it.

Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 02:15:54 AM »

You could literally have the characters throw dice in order to attack and have a quick cutaway screen panel showing what the result was. Then lampshade it by having a character ask why they need to base their attacks on complete luck.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic