Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 10:38:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMicRogue - New Build - July 11th
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 30
Print
Author Topic: MicRogue - New Build - July 11th  (Read 78230 times)
Uykered
« Reply #520 on: June 14, 2012, 05:00:53 AM »

I didn't notice the stepcount thing, just played again then and saw it. I think it might be more effective as a horizontal bar or something?
st33d
« Reply #521 on: June 14, 2012, 05:11:22 AM »

From personal experience: people don't look at the clock/health. You have to remind them. The counter may have to pulse with each step.
obsidian_golem
Level 0

Computer programmer / Google oracle

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: June 14, 2012, 05:12:26 AM »

From personal experience: people don't look at the clock/health. You have to remind them. The counter may have to pulse with each step.
And turn slowly from white to yellow to red.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #523 on: June 14, 2012, 06:06:17 AM »

Yes Guys I will Probably add in a bar as I think bars are more visually cooler then just numbers. and I will figure out a way to make it noticeable each turn. now on to the personal stuff.

obsidian_golem: I like the idea of being able to kill an enemy without that effect.

alastair: did the problem arise in the fact that you didn't know how the ninjas moved? I really need to create a way for players to see enemy movement.

st33d: If I do keep death when the bar empties. I will have different pop ups. In fact I want to have a few different pop ups for the player deaths. Killed by monster, killed by trap, and ran out of time. that way the player knows what did them in.

Okay now on to some questions.

1. would it be better if rats spawned different color rats, these other rats would not spawn more on death. so there would be no exponential grwoth.
2. Have you done much with the traps? have they added to gameplay, Have you used them to kill monsters?

obsidian_golem
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: June 14, 2012, 06:14:01 AM »

Yes Guys I will Probably add in a bar as I think bars are more visually cooler then just numbers. and I will figure out a way to make it noticeable each turn. now on to the personal stuff.

obsidian_golem: I like the idea of being able to kill an enemy without that effect.

alastair: did the problem arise in the fact that you didn't know how the ninjas moved? I really need to create a way for players to see enemy movement.

st33d: If I do keep death when the bar empties. I will have different pop ups. In fact I want to have a few different pop ups for the player deaths. Killed by monster, killed by trap, and ran out of time. that way the player knows what did them in.

Okay now on to some questions.

1. would it be better if rats spawned different color rats, these other rats would not spawn more on death. so there would be no exponential grwoth.
2. Have you done much with the traps? have they added to gameplay, Have you used them to kill monsters?
For showing enemy movement why not just flash a red outline around the square the enemy is moving two. I think that people are not going to go after the second set of rats unless it is necessary. A bonus for killing all the rats on a floor would help. Perhaps a 2 extra moves for each rat(and exponential rat) killed. This would only be gotten if all of them where killed though. As for traps I have not been able to kill any mobs with them.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #525 on: June 14, 2012, 08:30:01 PM »

obsidian_golem: that might be an idea.

Okay now on to the actual updates!!.
1. I switched the timer. its no longer a number countdown, but a big large bar across the top.
2. I don't really like the rats , so I am thinking about how to fix that.
3.  thought about a few more enemies
       - Wiizard. he stands still and will shoot a fireball at you, the fireball will move each turn though.
       - An enemy that warps you back to your starting position on death. can be used to get out of trouble
4. Worked on the end game type stuff. more on this later.
5. add a new death message system. so when the player is killed they will know what kills them. I have to make them pretty short though. so I have
       - You have Died
       - Bollocks! death
       - It's a Trap!
       - Curses! a Trap
       - Ran out of time

any ideas for more let me know. Also I am not above silly stuff and references to movies.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #526 on: June 15, 2012, 06:50:45 PM »

Alright so I got the basic game loop in. The player dives into the dungeon, reaches a certain floor, and then must return after getting the magical mcguffin. right now its just a treasure chest, but that will probably change later, the game is incredibly hard, and I have not been able to finish yet. So I really need some tweaking.

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: June 16, 2012, 12:16:02 AM »

So, I was playing D3 and was fighting the Lords of Pestilence, and was thinking maybe there could be a mob that attacks two spaces away from where it actually is by burrowing a tentacle underground or something.
Iunno, I'm sleep deprived from Diablo so this may just be a crazy idea.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #528 on: June 16, 2012, 09:12:31 AM »

That could work, not sure how the monster would move though.

so fixing the game making it a little more playable. it is damn hard at the moment.

obsidian_golem
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: June 16, 2012, 09:15:32 AM »

It probably shouldn't move. Make it only killable by freezing or eye teleport, and make it able to kill other enemies.
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: June 16, 2012, 09:52:09 AM »

I was thinking it could move but it would always attack 2 spaces away. I should make a mockup to show you what I mean.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #531 on: June 16, 2012, 10:30:34 AM »

Okay, so I basically have the first area done. you run in, grab the treasure and run out. one of the ideas I had was having different areas, these would have different things in each one. so perhaps one of the missions is the Ninja Dojo, imagine levels consisting of only ninjas. but my main question is, should the player be able to choose, or should it be random?

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: June 16, 2012, 10:34:38 AM »

I would say it's random the first time and you get to pick it once you beat it.

Anyways here's what I was thinking:
He can attack the red x's, but can only either attack or move during the enemy move phase, not both

obsidian_golem
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 16, 2012, 10:36:29 AM »

Sounds great. I would love to see an enemy which is hostile to everyone not just you though.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #534 on: June 16, 2012, 11:38:10 AM »

I like the hostile enemy idea. in fact the wizard will probably be the next enemy I add, and he will shoot fireballs. fireballs can kill anything. I will also probably keep the tentacle monster stationery. I am thinking some kind of plant with roots.

I am adding in the basic Win code, and restart. this will all be wrapped differently when I have the game done, but I need to get some code in now to begin.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #535 on: June 16, 2012, 04:30:25 PM »

so just to do a wrapping story for the game, but still making it fairly simple. I think I am going to try something like the player stands before the king. the kings says go get this treasure and the player heads out the castle door across the screen to the waiting dungeon. This will be told in graphic speech bubbles so its not all wordy. when you complete you will leave the dungeon and enter back into the castle and give up the goods. here is a quick mockup

The castle Front needs some love and I think I am going to put in another set of mountains. I might do the dungeon right outside the front door, or I might make it a little farther and have some nice parallax in the background, but i think its funnier if the dungeon is like right outside.

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 16, 2012, 04:38:59 PM »

Or make it a literal dungeon where he walks down some steps inside the castle?

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #537 on: June 16, 2012, 04:47:21 PM »

I thought about that originally, but then I decide that this worked better, because I could make different enviroments, like a dungeon, cave, Forest, or Gaveyard

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: June 16, 2012, 04:53:16 PM »

Oh, right! That makes sense, then.

obsidian_golem
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: June 16, 2012, 05:00:35 PM »

You will need to change the dungeons from going up to going down right?
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 30
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic