Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411552 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58442 Members - Latest Member: spitcards

May 03, 2024, 09:01:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesThe Spirit of Independent Gaming
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: The Spirit of Independent Gaming  (Read 61444 times)
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2007, 02:04:55 PM »

Me, for instance, I'm doing it solely to get revenge against CliffyB for laughing at me when I said I wanted to be a game designer. I'll show that smug bastard.

You show'em tiger!

Getting laughed at is a great motivator.
Yeah! L. Ron Hubbard said that because Scientology was dismissed and laughed at so much, the image of incredulity became a cloak which allowed them to become pretty powerful.

His career as a stand up comedian was less than successful, however.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 02:16:27 PM by Bezzy » Logged

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2007, 02:07:12 PM »

Oh, don't worry. People agree upon that I'm out of my mind* anyway xD. I did a textmode Doom that actually got popular so how could I be sane? ^_^

* How could I *not* be out of my mind? It's dark and scary there!!

Not at all, man. It's just that I've been in the industry, and around a lot of industry people, so... I see now that you were actually being ernest (which is cool!) but normally, when I hear people say that, they're being cynical and sarcastic. Sorry for misinterpreting you. More power to you, too. Let your passion carry you as far as it can, and stoke it, because it *can* run out.

Kornel Kisielewicz
The Black Knight
Level 1

Madman for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2007, 02:09:34 PM »

Not at all, man. It's just that I've been in the industry, and around a lot of industry people, so... I see now that you were actually being ernest (which is cool!) but normally, when I hear people say that, they're being cynical and sarcastic. Sorry for misinterpreting you. More power to you, too. Let your passion carry you as far as it can, and stoke it, because it *can* run out.
I know it can, and I know it will. The cure is to take a month off. If it helps, you win. If it doesn't, then seek new passions. Life is too short to waste it on a boring job that has no passion in it. Too bad that many people forget that when they get older ... Sad

P.S. The link to your blog seems broken.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 02:11:05 PM by Kornel Kisielewicz » Logged

At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (@epyoncf)
ChaosForge -- DoomRL and AliensRL
Jupiter Hell -- DoomRL spiritual successor!
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2007, 02:12:36 PM »

P.S. The link to your blog seems broken.

GOOD
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 02:14:50 PM by Bezzy » Logged

Matt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2007, 09:31:05 PM »

This independent spirit seems to be almost identical to the ideal of the starving artist: A(n) (Independent game developer) makes their (game) from their own vision and for their own reasons regardless of money.
Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2007, 11:14:15 PM »

Most importantly, the indie approach allows me to stuff the entire game with nubiles in panties without having to answer to anyone. They can all talk to the hand!
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2007, 11:34:11 PM »

Most importantly, the indie approach allows me to stuff the entire game with nubiles in panties without having to answer to anyone. They can all talk to the hand!
I would never give you flak for that.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
gameproducer
Level 0

GameProducer.net

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2007, 09:34:48 AM »

Heh, fun discussion folks. Now - what was the final conclusion of 'indie' versus 'independent' Wink

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2007, 09:37:49 AM »

Oh PLEASE don't bring this back on topic!  Cry

DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2007, 09:54:50 AM »

Heh, fun discussion folks. Now - what was the final conclusion of 'indie' versus 'independent' Wink

The conclusion was that neither fit the bill and so we're all labouring under the banner of "game-o-pimps" now.

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2007, 10:23:07 AM »

There are two kinds of people in this world: People who like to categorize, and people who don't.

The indie/Independent distinction seems pretty grey to me, and almost always subjective.

I'm not sure that even making a distinction really helps us, either. I mean, what are we going to do with it? Start making sweeping generalizations about people's aims, intents, and motivations? For me, indie endeavours always seem to form in the cracks between categorization anyhow - always looking for unexploited areas, no matter how niche or how vast.

Kornel Kisielewicz
The Black Knight
Level 1

Madman for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2007, 10:24:35 AM »

There are two kinds of people in this world: People who like to categorize, and people who don't.
There are three kinds of people in this world: people who can count, and people who can't.

At your service,
Prospero
Level 0

Mostly Harmless

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2007, 10:45:42 AM »

Well, "indie" being a cut-down version of "independent", possibly it means that you have to be under five feet tall to be an indie coder? Undecided (Sorry, it's been a long day, and I'm tired...)

But yeah, I don't feel either that trying to differentiate between the two terms does any good. It's the same word, just using different letters, after all.

Prospero - Mostly harmless dodgy geezer
Completed games: Poing! PC
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2007, 11:00:59 AM »

Too.... many.... masturbation jokes.....  brain burning....

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
vitaminNewB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2007, 11:26:15 AM »

There are three kinds of people in this world: people who can count, and people who can't.

According to this
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=10704
there are 6.
But i'll go no further.  My head hurts.

But yeah, I don't feel either that trying to differentiate between the two terms does any good. It's the same word, just using different letters, after all.

hmmm...
You know what ?....I'll bet if i called myself "independent" instead of "indie", my source code would rewrite itself, and automatically generate the proper scripts needed.  hmmm.....

And let's not forget draw my sprites and edit my video.
And increase my passion 500%!!!
hmmm....

Doc D, Diddy doctors, d Docerk,  whatever, has an interesting point.
If you create something enjoyable, people might just like it.  And maybe even buy it. 
Period.

Did i just "semi-digress" or "partially-digress"?  Shocked
Gargantua
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2007, 03:07:45 PM »

Quote from: Anthony Flack
And you know, spending years and years on a single game isn't a very good way to achieve any of those things either. Sure, you get to realise your vision properly, but the main problem is it's a several-years-old vision by the time you're done with it and you've had so many other, wiser visions since.

While that's true in a way since tech does keep changing pretty rapidly, I think it's kind of an absurd thing to say. If you want something done, and it takes years, then you should be willing to do it. Besides that, many a novel has been written that took more than a year, and are obviously still accesible today. Video games don't need to bow before the god of the "flash in the pan" just because a certain number of gamers want a quick jolt. It's very much possible to start a game, finish it in two or three years, and have it be as captivating as it was if it had been released the day you conceived the idea. Without proper attention we get the crap that's coming out of the mainstream industry today.
nenad
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2007, 03:37:22 PM »

Is it allowed to say 'fuck' on this forum? Because for me being 'indie' (in any line of work) means you can afford to say 'fuck' in antagonistic manner a lot. Like:

Fuck off!
Who the fuck are you to tell me what to do?
I fucked up. So what.
etc...

Btw. is Kenta Cho actually aware that his name is being sworn by around here?

Tongue
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2007, 03:42:28 PM »

Btw. is Kenta Cho actually aware that his name is being sworn by around here?

Tongue

Kenta Cho is all-knowing.

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2007, 05:53:58 PM »

Quote from: Anthony Flack
And you know, spending years and years on a single game isn't a very good way to achieve any of those things either. Sure, you get to realise your vision properly, but the main problem is it's a several-years-old vision by the time you're done with it and you've had so many other, wiser visions since.

While that's true in a way since tech does keep changing pretty rapidly, I think it's kind of an absurd thing to say. If you want something done, and it takes years, then you should be willing to do it. Besides that, many a novel has been written that took more than a year, and are obviously still accesible today. Video games don't need to bow before the god of the "flash in the pan" just because a certain number of gamers want a quick jolt. It's very much possible to start a game, finish it in two or three years, and have it be as captivating as it was if it had been released the day you conceived the idea. Without proper attention we get the crap that's coming out of the mainstream industry today.
Indeed. This may be true for games which are leaning heavily on a technology/fidelity crutch, but it's entirely possible to create games which last.

Not that games <i>have</i> to last. There are no rules worth submitting to unquestioningly.

Kornel Kisielewicz
The Black Knight
Level 1

Madman for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2007, 07:29:09 PM »

Kenta Cho is all-knowing.
I thought OMNICORP is all knowing ;]

At your service,
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic