Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58439 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 02:25:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKyoto
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Kyoto  (Read 34115 times)
Dakota.s
Level 0

Future Game Developer

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2012, 08:19:05 AM »

Wow, looks amazing.

Games are supposed to be art, and not simply a way to make money.
Theophilus
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2012, 09:42:21 AM »

incredible aesthetics
keo
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2012, 09:46:26 AM »

that's so perdy
rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2012, 09:55:13 AM »

Just FYI: a rule of thumb for branch thickness is that the sum of each branch stage should be roughly equal to the trunk. This is seen in nature because the tree has to keep internal water at the same pressure throughout, otherwise the trunk or branches would burst.

Do you mean the sum of the surface area of the connecting branches? Maybe I am just being a silly buns, but if it were the case, I would think that the surface areas would be unequal. Even in 2D, it doesn't seem the case. For example:

http://i43.tinypic.com/35191lw.png

In a triangle, the length of any two sides is always greater than any other side. Thus, there is no way accumulation of the branches would equal the root. Is there something I am missing?

No, sorry should have been clearer: the sum of the branches' volume remains roughly equal at each stage.

For example (the most basic tree structure one can draw):

For 2D purposes, assume the visible area is proportionate to the volume (i.e. the branch is perfectly cylindrical). Again, it's a rule of thumb or rough guide: actual trees vary quite a bit according to damage, growth conditions, etc, and of course two branches at the same stage aren't going to be equally thick.

More about Da Vinci's Rule of Trees here.
ham and brie
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2012, 03:10:45 PM »

That seems to be saying the circular cross section areas would have the same total at each stage.

If each branch split evenly into two, they'd have half the cross-sectional area each, which would mean the radius of each branch would be 1/√2 (roughly 70%) of its "mother's". If radius:length was the same for all branches, then length would also follow that geometric progression. So each branch's volume would be 1/(2√2) of its mother's. Since each stage has double the number of branches, each stage's total volume would be 1/√2 of the previous.
C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2012, 03:28:34 PM »

Welp, this settles it.  I'm off to learn OpenGL.
eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2012, 08:43:08 PM »

Yes, it is getting mathematical up in this biatch, I love it!  Kiss

Welp, this settles it.  I'm off to learn OpenGL.

God speed my dude.   Beer!

eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2012, 07:38:54 AM »

I began development on Kyoto's deployment website. I wanted to go for a simple and effective look. Please let me know what you think!

[ go to website ]

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2012, 08:23:08 AM »

Nice looking website, like the simple design and it works well for the project you're doing. One thing that I think could be tweaked is to make the tree/grass colour darker. Think it would work better. Although I understand you're trying to keep the colours from the project which work there.

eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2012, 06:56:39 AM »

So far, I have been mainly focusing on coding graphics, but I finally got around to implementing some actual UI stuff.

The moon serves as this scene's crafting box. You attach in various elements from the scene onto the moon, and depending on the combination of elements, you will get different audioreactive outcomes. Currently, you can only spawn auroras by crafting from the shooting-star entities. In the future, there will be much more interactions.

Using the Gamemonkey scripting language, I was able to quickly pump out and iterate on these UI elements. When things are too slow and need to be optimized, I just move them onto the C++ side. Also, I have flocking implemented with the shooting-star entities.

[

]

Tiago_BinaryPig
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2012, 07:20:14 AM »

Amazing!
Love all the effects you've put into the game and the idea of using the moon, perfection.

Screamy

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2012, 08:46:03 AM »

Wow Kiss don't know what else I can say about that video....

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2012, 09:25:35 AM »

I don't even know what I'm watching, but it's fucking gorgeous  Kiss

Ashkin
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2012, 10:30:49 AM »

So relaxing it hurts.
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2012, 11:04:43 AM »

Wonderful video - love the Aurora Borealis effect

eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2012, 03:50:14 AM »

Coded a particle engine; I gotz ta have it!

Also, I am planning on releasing a tech demo version soon. Stay tuned!

eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2012, 03:21:25 AM »

Kind of unrelated. But today at Q-Games studio, we had a very nice music jam with some of the developers during our lunch break and I thought it would be nice to share. Features Dylan Cuthbert (lead synth), me (electric guitar), Jaymin (bass), and Kalin (rhythm synth).

http://soundcloud.com/eddietree/pixeljam-3

eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2012, 04:26:54 AM »

Particles galore! Optimized particle engine which offloads alot of the transformation calculations onto the GPU.  Also supports texturing

eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2012, 05:08:37 AM »

I'll admit it, the images before had alot of ugly aliasing on the polygons. I was a lazy douchebag and simply ignored it, but it was clawing in my brain and I had to fix it. However, GL_POLYGON_SMOOTH is such shit, so instead I build an index buffer around the polygons and rendered the edges with smooth lines. Now goodbye aliased grass.

Before (aliased):

After (anti-aliased):

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2012, 05:13:48 AM »

I think GL_POLYGON_SMOOTH just smooths interpolation between vertices for connected polygons, it's not a form of AA, however your solution looks great!

It all looks beautiful, video is really hypnotic - can't wait to see where the project goes  Kiss

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic