Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411637 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 14, 2024, 03:09:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDCR: Drive.Crash.Repeat - Hardest 8-Bit Car Game Ever!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: DCR: Drive.Crash.Repeat - Hardest 8-Bit Car Game Ever!  (Read 844 times)
AGS-GD
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 17, 2017, 06:41:54 AM »

Hi,

We are the developers of a really difficult game called DCR: Drive.Crash.Repeat which will be available sometime in Q1 2017 on Steam for PC and Mac.

DCR: Drive.Crash.Repeat, as beautifully described by Alpha Beta Gamer's Calum Fraser is a "fabulous 8-bit inspired top down racing game in which you dodge traffic and obstacles as you weave your way to the finish line with a stuck accelerator and no brakes!

In Drive.Crash.Repeat the aim of the game is simple – make it to the finish line in one piece. This may be easier said than done though as you accelerator is jammed and each of the games deviously designed tracks is full of stuff you don’t want to crash into. You have to swerve, boost and power slide your way around the obstacles to make it to the end zone of each level without hitting a single object (preferably with a fast time too, but it’s probably best to start by getting there in one piece).

It’s a fun game with excellent retro pixel art visual style, fast paced arcade racing gameplay and cleverly designed levels in which there are often multiple routes to discover."

Drive.Crash.Repeat is extremely fun! It perfectly implements the concept of gradual progression! It has this just-one-more-time feeling, which actually works! The game was Greenlit on Steam Greenlight in 8 days, reaching the top 10 games! Players will play an average of 20-100 times per level to learn and beat it!

But that's not all, the game has the following features:

• Retro 8-bit pixel art game!
  • 3 stars timing system (which adds a huge re-playability and competitiveness value)
  • Levels has multiple ways to beat making them even more fun and less linear!
  • Levels are so rich in content that we added hidden objects, which require puzzle solving skills to find, giving the player another mode of playing, and doubles the re-playability value of the game.
  • There are 3 bonus levels only playable by those who earned that privilege (by collecting objects and getting stars)
  • Each of the 45 levels has a leaderboard for which players will compete to achieve best time.
  • It has an intuitive hint system
  • The learning curve is amazing that a skillful player can actually beat the whole 15 levels in less than 7 tries (I personally did it). This curve is a huge edge in this game.

We will localize DCR to the following languages: English, German, Spanish, French, Russian, Turkish, Simplified Chinese and Brazilian-Portuguese.

The game is nearing completion, we are using Cocos2d-x engine and we just started getting feedback from beta testers, and boy! Beta testers are just the best! We are getting valuable feedback and making tweaks here and there accordingly while try to complete designing the remaining levels (around 11).

It was really difficult to design levels that are progressively getting harder, balance playability and fun, while keeping true to the promise of making a really difficult, almost impossible, to beat game!

Feel free to reach out to us with questions, comments, inquiries or beta access requests.

Wish us luck!

twitter: https://twitter.com/gamedev_dad
twitter: https://twitter.com/tarbooshgames

Here are some screenshots of working progress levels and a video of gameplay:

« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 09:27:57 AM by AGS-GD » Logged

Gamer, developer, founder of indie game studio @TarbooshGames, video games designer, proud dad! #indiedev #gamedev
Low_Chance
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 01:21:46 PM »

Looks pretty fun! A simple concept and it looks like it's been executed well. Reminds me of Super Meat Boy with the very rapid restarts after a crash - I'm guessing that was an inspiration?
SuperSmithBros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 02:57:23 PM »

Looks nice, the graphics are pretty slick and looks fun, got a GTA1 vibe about it. Cant say I like the music in the trailer though, I dont think it fits the game, needs something more upbeat and blood pumping IMO.

You not going for a mobile release either? Something like this has a lot of appeal on mobile.
AGS-GD
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 05:35:06 AM »

Looks pretty fun! A simple concept and it looks like it's been executed well. Reminds me of Super Meat Boy with the very rapid restarts after a crash - I'm guessing that was an inspiration?

Hey. Well, great games like Super Meat Boy are always an inspiration, however, our direct inspirations included other great games like the original Micro Machines (developed by Codemasters in 1991) and some of the modern games like Cut the Rope (in terms of having multiple solutions), Must Deliver (art style), Retry and Mr. Jump (gameplay loop). Having such inspirations, helped us come up with an original idea and concept that captures the essence and great traits found individually in these games while standing strongly on its own.

Gamer, developer, founder of indie game studio @TarbooshGames, video games designer, proud dad! #indiedev #gamedev
AGS-GD
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 05:39:19 AM »

Looks nice, the graphics are pretty slick and looks fun, got a GTA1 vibe about it. Cant say I like the music in the trailer though, I dont think it fits the game, needs something more upbeat and blood pumping IMO.

You not going for a mobile release either? Something like this has a lot of appeal on mobile.

The trailer was meant as a tech preview of the game diversity and features, we didn't put much thought into it. However, we are gonna replace the sound track with an upbeat one, just as you suggested Smiley mostly one from within the game itself.

We are planning on a mobile release as well, sometime later though. Switching the control system to touch screen without any on-screen controls will be a challenge, however, we have a couple of ideas that we will put to test. So, stay tuned!

AGS-GD
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 11:54:20 PM »

Here is a refreshing update Smiley We've done a small scale beta test for the finished parts of the game, and the results are in ... I will share them in iteration so that I can get proper feedback on each part.

So, on a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being "Not Fun" and 5 being "Crazy Fun", the beta testers thought the following:

75% thought it's a solid 4 and 5 Smiley
12.5% thought it's 3 out of 5
12.5% thought it's below 3

Should we be happy with this result, or should we put more time making the game more fun? I personally think that this is quite a good dose of fun. What do you think?

As for hardness, since we claim to have the hardest car game in the world, on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being "Super Easy" and 10 being "Hardcore Stuff", the beta testers thought the following:

50% gave it a solid 8+ out of 10 on the difficulty scale
25% gave it a solid 7
25% gave it 6 and below

I believe to have such a difficulty rating while maintaining a fun factor is a good combination, I'm afraid changing the balance a bit might not be a good idea, because we worked really hard to balance it so it is both fun and hard at the same time. Thoughts are welcome here as well.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 12:05:26 AM by AGS-GD » Logged

AGS-GD
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 09:31:03 AM »

One of the beta testers feedback was so good to watch that we couldn't help but share it with you guys. Enjoy Smiley

InterGalactic
Level 0

Indigo Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 06:26:15 PM »

Great concept and very well executed! Is this going to be released on Greenlight soon? As they're closing it and all.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic