Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411636 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 13, 2024, 11:13:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPhysics based evolution simulator
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Physics based evolution simulator  (Read 832 times)
GWRZ
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2017, 09:45:03 PM »

Newest video:

Not a wholly new concept, of course, but some of the ways I'm handling the back end aren't common.

I first made a non-physics based evolution simulator back in October of 2016:

It was pretty decent in some ways, but quite underwhelming.

Two days ago I started a new evolution simulator using opengl graphics and the box2d physics library.
Over the weekend I actually got it to work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3LkcTvsW1s
Now that evolution works, I have to add another feature or two, then I'll post videos of evolutionary progress.
Also, here's an earlier video:
https:/g/www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNXJZjQS-vY

For an additional resource, here's a google doc with a sloppy code specification:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Uc6dLB3cb9oWFAWl6t2GGwI-ImPnVJV3KmlVcmFlFlE/edit?usp=sharing
I'm going to tidy that up, and maybe even make a video on how the code itself works.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 11:34:08 PM by GWRZ » Logged
kuubaas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 05:49:52 AM »

Finally, someone getting god game scientifically right.

My advice, don't worry about graphics before you get some game modes down (including something more goal-oriented than sandboxy number-fiddling). I've seen loads of little evolutionary creature-builder experiments, but to my knowledge none of them ever tried to become a game.

Keeping my eye on this one. Blink

technical artist for no truce with the furies
GWRZ
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 11:16:21 AM »

Making an interface for it now.

I mostly work on this on the weekends so here's my plans for the weekend:
* Sexual reproduction / egg fertilization
* Health bars for body parts (fighting)
* In game gene viewer/editor
* Saving/loading individual creatures
* Split food up into 'carbs' and 'proteins' with different functions
tpelham42
Level 0

Mercury Fallen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 11:46:14 AM »

Very interesting and I look forward to seeing how it progresses. In the second video in your OP you talked about adding in attacking. Not sure if you've had this thought already, but my first thought was on motivation for attack.

What if a given creature represents carbs/protein and a creature may attack another creature as a source of food. Conflict generally arises from "You have something I want" which could be reflected as food or maybe even territory. Would be curious to see emergent behavior such as storing food for later which would reflect the simple concept of ownership.

Anyway just some random thoughts. Look forward to seeing more. Smiley

Current Project: http://www.mercuryfallen.com
Find me on twitter: @tpelham42
GWRZ
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 05:14:45 PM »

Very interesting and I look forward to seeing how it progresses. In the second video in your OP you talked about adding in attacking. Not sure if you've had this thought already, but my first thought was on motivation for attack.

What if a given creature represents carbs/protein and a creature may attack another creature as a source of food. Conflict generally arises from "You have something I want" which could be reflected as food or maybe even territory. Would be curious to see emergent behavior such as storing food for later which would reflect the simple concept of ownership.

Anyway just some random thoughts. Look forward to seeing more. Smiley
Well the motivations for actions are just labels we people give to segments of the creature's code. The creature can use anything as a motivation. That said, I probably was going to make creatures drop their food when killed.

Anyway, I should have a new video up tomorrow.
GWRZ
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 11:34:19 PM »

New video posted:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=32TciKAWlOU
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 06:51:50 PM by GWRZ » Logged
GWRZ
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 06:52:15 PM »

Just wanted to bump this one last time to see if there's interest.
I was about to make a new video.
whistlerat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 03:16:56 AM »

Definitely interested, I'm all about games like this! I've always admired evolution simulators. What are you intentions for this, to make a sandbox or a full game out of it? You show off the ability to actually take control of a creature, so do you see that being a core focus (perhaps trying to survive/thrive/reproduce as a single entity) or will it be more of a population-nurturing god game? In your simulation right now (the first video in your first post), what's governing the evolution and mutations, why did those creatures mutate in that way?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic