Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 27, 2024, 01:57:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDISCO ELYSIUM (we finished it, it's out)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: DISCO ELYSIUM (we finished it, it's out)  (Read 150237 times)
kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« on: January 08, 2016, 09:51:20 AM »

ok so I just hit save on the project and send the thumbdrive to the internet and then you guys can play it now

---

some real old stuff beyond this point:

LATEST HAPPENINGS:

Game is now called Disco Elysium!

NEW TRAILER

--

Christmas teaser!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I09cgNltDRU

We on Steam baby!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/632470/No_Truce_With_The_Furies/

Come do the honourable thing - hit that wishlist button and spam the everloving shit out of that link to your friends! Or just share it all nice and decent and let them know there's this interesting little project going on here and they'd probably like it if they gave it a chance. We'd appreciate it either way.   SmileyHand Thumbs Up Right

TEASER TRAILER:

(click on the screenshots for some juicy 2560 wide pixels)

We also had a go at writing a press release which I'm sending out now. It's strange to be one of the "guys in marketing" now and it's becoming apparent that it really is very very hard to be short and concise about your video game while somehow trying to keep it interesting. Here goes nothing:

Ahem.. PRESS RELEASE:

Today FORTRESS OCCIDENT announce NO TRUCE WITH THE FURIES, a story-driven role playing game about being a total failure. An almost irreversible, unmitigated failure. Both as a human being and an officer of the law.

Find yourself in a strange and familiar new world, where you can go anywhere you want to. See that liquor store? You can go there. See that motor-carriage? You can drive it into the ocean. See that phone booth? You can call her, and make her love you again!

Or – you can take one final case and crawl back to life.

NO TRUCE WITH THE FURIES has:

•  An original genre of setting, developed for 15 years in absolute secret. Neither fantasy, alternate history, or any known type of -punk, a novel set in the same world has been dubbed fantastic realism.

•  The most advanced visuals ever made for the isometric perspective. A trick of the trade we call paintshading lets us create a moving contemporary oil painting.

•  Writing by chronically success-impaired science fiction author Robert Kurvitz and original music by the Mercury prize winning band British Sea Power.

•  A realistic skill system lets you develop original ideas using Conceptual Thinking, tune your nervous system with Electrochemistry, and become a disgrace to the uniform with Composure, a skill that lets you don your disco outfit to the maximum effect.

•  Thought Cabinet, an inventory for thoughts, where you process the ideas you've stumbled on. Ideas become fixtures, permanent beliefs that you can't get rid of, even if you want to.

•  Exactly one hundred and twenty eight times more choice and consequence than previously thought possible in a role playing video game. This is a world where even the smallest things you say matter.

We are inspired by "Planescape: Torment", "Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare" and "Kentucky Route Zero".

NO TRUCE WITH THE FURIES has been in development for over a year. It's expected by the end of 2016 for PC.

Visit our frequently updated social media hijinks:
Website fortressoccident.com
Facebook facebook.com/fortressoccident
Instagram instagram.com/fortressoccident

OLD FIRST POST:

Hello!

So! I figure it is probably high time to start with the devlog thread for the game I'm working on right now. It's a project I started putting together with a couple of friends last winter, but real work didn't start until around September or so. The project carries a tentative title of "No Truce With The Furies"

"No Truce With The Furies" is a short form isometric role-playing game set in a fictional mid-20th century world. You explore Martinaise, a coastal district of the Revachol metropolitan area where some decades before a failed revolution dethroned the Monarchy, but left the city and its people susceptible to the self-serving influence of the international community and free-market capitalism.

The game is set in a time of cold war in a world that never was. Off the coast you can occasionally spot airbound coalition warships keeping the peace. Further beyond the horizon there is the Pale that divides the continents.

You play this guy:

The finest officer from Precinct 41 of the Revachol Police Department! Sent away on a special mission to investigate a special report from the relatively remote port of Martinaise. There may be a slim chance the higher ups just want to get you out of their hair? There may be some haters who call you "a disgrace to the uniform", but you know what you really are; you’re a Super Star and the only cop who’s capable of getting anything done in that chicken-shit outfit.. You’re here to represent the fledgling self-organized and semi-recognized police force of Revachol and goddamn if you’re not gonna rock at it!

While in Martinaise you wait for an event you know to be coming. It is called the Tequila Sunset.

The plan for this game is to eschew combat to focus more on event modeling and narrative decision making. Hopefully there are more ways we can interact with the world around us than reaching out and touching it with a gun. It's going to be a narrative driven dialogue heavy game laced with humour. (The irony that the character above is shooting a gun is not lost on me.)

I'm the art director for “No Truce With the Furies” so I make the pretty happen. We're doing pre-rendered backgrounds which I then paint over for stylistic reasons and we're spicing up our 3d character models with some hand painted normal map magic to get some more brushstrokes in there. The above image is an example of what the background art looks like.

Some background info for those interested - we're a fresh team of some 11 dudes sitting in some (currently very cold) rooms in Tallinn, Estonia making the game in Unity. As kids a bunch of us were big fans of the old Fallouts and Infinity Engine games, so it's pretty darn dope to be making one now. The dream is to make a full form RPG after this one, but for now we consider No Truce a first bite. A smaller game to work out our big mechanics and storytelling methods.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 07:47:24 AM by kinnas » Logged

purplemonkey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 10:06:30 AM »

Hi Aleksander, I remember seeing your art before and I must say I'm looking forward to see how it translates into a fully fledged game. I wish you all good luck with development and I'll be keeping an eye on this for sure.

Pseudavid
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 10:48:08 AM »

The art looks great, and I hope the story will have a different cultural feel from the American/English standard settings that we generally get in most games.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley

My interactive fiction is at pseudavid.itch.io

The Master of the Land, 6th in IFcomp 2018. It creates a seemingly dynamic world, gives the player complete agency within that world and then says ‘go
Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 04:40:30 PM »

Love the art, and even more the idea of taking the focus away from combat and putting it more into the story, narrative development, etc. From the descriptions and images so far, it sounds like you have a really solid handle on who the character is, and the experience you want to deliver. Looking forward to more!

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
DireLogomachist
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 09:39:25 PM »

False advertising - originally thought it was "No Truce with the Furries"

jk this looks awesome

Living and dying by Hanlon's Razor
kraed
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 06:30:30 AM »

Keeping an eye on this, has a nice grit to it. Looking fresh, resonates with other game titles but pretty clear it's a thing of its own, you guys might be on to something.

Orvel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 12:14:19 PM »

This looks sick Smiley. The best part is the hanged dude.

Too bad it's not an RPG. Sad
Riho
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 05:02:19 AM »

Looks great! Good luck! I'll be keeping my eye on this.

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 07:45:01 AM »

Hi Aleksander, I remember seeing your art before and I must say I'm looking forward to see how it translates into a fully fledged game. I wish you all good luck with development and I'll be keeping an eye on this for sure.

Hey purplemonkey! I love checking out your Yonder devlog thread, absolutely fantastic art and one of the few things that makes me go "I wish I was making that".

The art looks great, and I hope the story will have a different cultural feel from the American/English standard settings that we generally get in most games.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley

This might not be the best marketing buzz slogan but "No Truce With The Furies is being made by wikipedia addicted eastern european intellectuals!" So that'll probably rub off on the feel of the game. We'll try and keep our love of buggy coding, rust and the post-apocalypse in check though. There's probably enough of that out there already.

Love the art, and even more the idea of taking the focus away from combat and putting it more into the story, narrative development, etc. From the descriptions and images so far, it sounds like you have a really solid handle on who the character is, and the experience you want to deliver. Looking forward to more!

For this kind of game the story comes first. Our lead writer/designer Robert has a whole spiel on combining literature and video games to create something bigger than either medium on its own. Maybe I'll get him to write it down one day. We do have some neat ideas for non-lethal combat we want to explore down the line. There's a balance to be had where storytelling and gameplay combine into a whole where one doesn't get in the way of the other, where combat is a moment of respite from all the complicated long words.

False advertising - originally thought it was "No Truce with the Furries"

jk this looks awesome

We may have left ourselves open to a parody game, I hope this won't bite us in the ass.

Keeping an eye on this, has a nice grit to it. Looking fresh, resonates with other game titles but pretty clear it's a thing of its own, you guys might be on to something.

Thanks, appreciate it!

This looks sick Smiley. The best part is the hanged dude.

Too bad it's not an RPG. Sad

If you want to dance around with words then sure, No Truce is not strictly speaking an RPG since there's no combat and grind but I'd very much consider it a role-playing game where you have stats that affect your dialogue and the narrative gets combined according to player choice.
If you really want that RPG experience you can imagine the game forgot to spawn enemies.  Smiley

Looks great! Good luck! I'll be keeping my eye on this.

Thanks! Hopefully it's going to be an interesting ride.

I hope to cajole some more in depth and technical posts out of people but for now here's a gif of a couple of test character models with hand painted normal maps and our custom shader that for the most part ignores geometry underneath and only uses normal map info for lighting calculations.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 09:01:25 AM by kinnas » Logged

Pseudavid
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 02:40:04 AM »

"No Truce With The Furies is being made by wikipedia addicted eastern european intellectuals!"

TAKE MY MONEY

My interactive fiction is at pseudavid.itch.io

The Master of the Land, 6th in IFcomp 2018. It creates a seemingly dynamic world, gives the player complete agency within that world and then says ‘go
Mete
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 07:20:36 AM »

looks good, for some reason this looks like a detective game to me.

Great work.
kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 01:13:43 AM »

So the game takes place in the “bad part of the bad part of town” of the city of Revachol. The district you police is called Jamrock (“in honour of the island nation of Jamaica” nonetheless - or so I’m told by the boys in worldbuilding). More specifically, the neighbourhood “No Truce” takes place in is a coastal fraction of Jamrock called Martinaise. The city has been built and rebuilt across a span of four hundred years and the architectural styles present reflect that. We're pedantic with how history works, in regards to the layers of technology and culture piling on top of each other. There are also modern cultural aspects that shape what different neighbourhoods look like. Immigrants from different parts of the world etc.

The game’s worldbuilding at large has places like Boogie Street, a street come ghetto of Semenine immigrants, whose abstract wood architecture and innovative techno music is poised to ride an invasive wave of pop culture to a civ style cultural victory. (Yes, really). There is Villalobos, the part of town populated by Mesque immigrants whose youth are essentially latino gangbangers in mesh wifebeaters. The neighborhood itself is a byzanthian labyrinth of housing that’s claimed the streets underneath; where one is never quite sure if you're indoors or outside. Imagine a dungeon-district! An RPG city district that doubles as an ongoing dungeon, phasing from hidden street to meth-lab to salsa party.

Blam, you stepped into the wrong room motherfucker - salsa party!

Hope you brought your maracas!

Be armed to the teeth with maracas when you come to the… okay I’ll stop now.

(click for a bigger image)

Eminent Domain is a neighbourhood of old workers’ barracks being torn down to make room for a massive elevated motorway interchange. Locals build up against the pillars of the motorway and nix electricity from the high voltage powerlines.

Martinaise however is a coastal area. Here our “atmospheric target render” (another expression from the boys in worldbuilding) is encapsulated in the sentence: “I'll wake up in a new life, shift shape and shoe shine.

Damn it all to do now, down by the seaside…”

Imagine old pre-revolution military pride dilapidating aside modern misery, while “On The Waterfront” style harbour work goes on in the background. The coast is marked by old Havanaesque architecture now in disrepair, large swathes of which have been demolished to make room for the ever expanding Greater Metropolitan Port of Revachol, which under coalition governance has grown into the world’s largest industrial harbour. Martinaise is where the revolution was ultimately lost. It is on these coasts that coalition forces landed to quell the uprising and it has the mortar scars to prove it. War damage is still apparent on most houses and locals have used the sturdier bits of ruin to support new, decidedly less baroque buildings. The era of Philipppe III The Squanderer (heir of Philip II The Misuser and Catherine The Lavish) is over, even if his ludicrous mounted likeness in bronze somehow survived. You see, among many, many other things, Philippe III also got prodigal with military regalia. It was “one repulsive laugh after the other” with Phillippe.

Then the Turn-Of-The-Century Revolution came and wiped it all away. Today the equestrian monument is mostly seen by dockworkers and truck drivers.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 03:32:31 AM by kinnas » Logged

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 05:02:23 AM »

The design in this is awesome and the world building that you guys are going into is impressive. Fascinating reading about the different parts of the city.

Will be following.

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 05:48:48 AM »

Will be following.

kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 07:35:49 AM »

So the first month of 2016 has come and gone. We begun January with finishing up the prototype we made for Christmas. The game was far enough along that dialogue was sort..of.. displaying? You could click a button to open up a facsimile of a dialogue window which read content from an xml file. The basics of importing text from Articy into Unity was in place. You could select your options and get your answers based on the dialogue node tree.

Some stuff didn't work so well however.. The main character was a black ghostly silhouette of a man which could path-find its way around but on some computers got stuck in a Lynchian horror nightmare where you run as fast as your legs can go yet move at a glacial 5cm/h pace. We've since fixed that but as with all bugs and graphical glitches it's excellent dream sequence fodder.

So here's what got done in January:

* Interior lighting system

We tried a bunch of different ways to light up our interiors with natural sunlight which would change by time of day. Four states in total: morning, noon, evening and night. For a while we had an additive system which used a basic background image, a neutrally lit render for me to paint over. Upon the background we added a light map with information about how much light and what colour came from which window. This had information on bounced light and transferred colour from object to object. While this gave us beautiful rich colours and a realistic global illumination look it also had the downside of adding several full resolution images to the pile of assets making up levels. That's a map per time of day + the neutral base map. What's more the additive layer contained too much information which meant that it tended to overwrite any hand painted brushwork I had done on the neutral background image. So that's no good.

In the end the breakthrough came while we were trying to figure out how to light up characters in interior scenes.

A naive implementation would have cast the neutral background image in shadow and used in-engine lights to illuminate the scene and light up characters in one go. This is essentially what we do with exteriors during the night. However this method would have looked bland since real time doesn't really get us that coveted and beautiful diffused bounce light ambience that we can get with prerendering. In the end we lit characters up with a mixture of a lightfield map for natural light coming in the window and in engine light sources for artificial illumination such as desk lamps and the sort. The lightfield map is essentially a normal map which dictates which direction light is moving on any given pixel. It's also very small since we don't need it to be terribly precise.

Turns out that the lightfield map is useful for other stuff as well! We can render out a single channel B&W image of the background as illuminated only by natural light. By using this shadow map with the lightfield map we can dim and colourize background art based on time of day and the weather outside. While not as exquisite as the additive method it's a lot more efficient, saves us a ton of hard drive space and makes the base background layer the only image with color information which means I'm free to paint over it as I wish!

Neutral render with some light hand painted touches, not final in any way or form:

Shadow map with information pertaining to natural light:

Combined in engine with lightfield map to determine light strength and tint. There's some overexposure happening there but clamping that is another problem for another day:

I got more technical with that description than I intended to but I'll be sure to have the man, the myth, the legend who actually got it all actually working to do a full proper writeup later.

* Highlighting of interactables

This was apparently a headache and a half! I consider myself pretty knowledgeable in common game graphics techniques but it came as a surprise that apparently finding the outlines of 3d objects is a relatively difficult task. Shows what I know. I'm told it's done by enlarging 3d objects along the normals? We ended up using masks and edge detection for various reasons but that's another post by kuubaas waiting to happen.

* Attaching dialogue to interactable objects

Combine this with the highlighting and you have a game! There's this imposter syndrome article making the rounds on the internet about creatives who feel like they're still faking it. Not for me, no sir, the moment an object got highlighted on mouseover and clicking on it opened up a dialogue I felt like a super-MLG-pro-designer. What I'm trying to say it it feels good to have immediate feedback mechanics in the game finally.

* Character scale matrix

We dicked around with a character shape matrix, a simple two slider system for adjusting thickness and height for npc variety using blend shapes. This posed some problems with floating feet but in general the proof of concept implementation seems promising so far. We're also working on an IK system for placing feet on stairs which might tap into the floating feet problem.

* Basic inventory & equipping system

Take all your clothes off, put them back on again, like a normal human being does every day.

* Functional doors

They block pathfinding and can check said inventory for keys. Imagine a world with door tech which helps you out by checking whether you have your trousers on or not.

Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 01:34:56 AM »

Well this looks gorgeous. Love the world building so far.

kuubaas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2016, 02:10:40 AM »

Hi there.
I am the technical artist of this project, chiming in with some technical tidbits. Gentleman

Interior lighting system

tl;dr: this scene has no in-engine lights. All lighting is computed from:
- RGB neutral render with paintover
- BW shade/light multiplier map encoded into albedo map’s alpha channel
- RGB light direction map
- global sun/shade color variables for each time of day

Additive shade map didn’t work out because it tended to have inverted color information in dark areas (pretty obvious in hindsight, duh). Converting additive map into BW resulted in super-saturated dark areas (pretty obvious in hindsight, duh).
Multiplicative light/shade map seemed to be acting nicely if it weren’t for the 0-to-1 clamp of the PNG format. Let’s not go into minifloats or EXR for now.

Enter the arctangent encoding

You take a value from 0 to infinity and arctan() it to squeeze it into the 0-1 range. You take the map in engine and do a quick tan() before multiplying it onto your map. You have high resolution near 0 and degrading accuracy towards infinity which hasn’t been detectable by eye as of yet.

Lightfield map

This (currently hand-crafted) map describes the direction and magnitude of a single ray of light in each point of a 2D space. So technically a very very simple lightfield wannabe. This is a vague, efficient and apparently good-enough description of which direction the natural light is coming from. This technique relies on lighting conditions being very low frequency and similar on and behind the objects and characters.

The white blobbing you see there is alpha channel we are using to map out faux indirect illumination where low alpha values near the windows result in a strongly directional light with stronger shades/shadows whereas high alpha values mean light bouncing around more. So the shaders wrap more light around objects and lighten up shade/shadows a bit.

Highlighting of interactables

This was apparently a headache and a half! I consider myself pretty knowledgeable in common game graphics techniques but it came as a surprise that apparently finding the outlines of 3d objects is a relatively difficult task. Shows what I know. I'm told it's done by enlarging 3d objects along the normals? We ended up using masks and edge detection for various reasons but that's another post by kuubaas waiting to happen.

As we witnessed while testing, the normal-extruded outline method is and looks cheap.
For now I’ll just say we use shader replacement to render a mask RenderTexture which is then edge-detected. For silhouette outlines it’s less hassle, more reliable and looks better than any geometry-based solution I’ve seen. (you also get free AA with edge detection, yay).
It's quite a plain vanilla solution but the colouring technique could be interesting to write further about. Will do a post this month.

technical artist for no truce with the furies
ecplav
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 02:32:34 AM »

Really like the looks of it. Will definitely follow. Smiley
kinnas
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 08:17:00 AM »

Thanks!

Here's some concept art sneakpeek action:

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2016, 10:57:32 PM »

I'm caught up on your posts but I don't want to leave yet, I'm not ready to stop learning about your world.

Following this wizardry.  Wizard
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic