Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411636 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 14, 2024, 12:16:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsClaustrophobia
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Claustrophobia  (Read 415 times)
Fede3751
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2017, 06:06:43 PM »

"Damn, there's no way out...
What do we do now?"

"There must be another way"

"Light up a torch.
We have to find it"

About the game
The game focuses around two brothers who are trapped into a cave and can no longer leave.
From that point, they decide to keep digging trying to find another way out.
The game is basically a two players roguelike, but with particular mechanics which force the players to communicate and take decisions together in order to progress further and survive.
Food must be gathered to prevent starvation while coal must be mined in order to keep the torch lit.
Multiple runs allow the players to level up and gain new abilities which make runs in the cave easier.

This idea was born from the 2015 GGJ and it was taken and developed recently.

Current state
The game is currently in an early phase. The main engine is working but the main features of the game still require a lot of polishing.
There are currently only two monsters in the actual version: bats and spiders. They can't be fought directly: the first one can be kept away by the player with the torch while spiders can be trapped in holes.
The cave is randomly generated at every run.

I'll try to come back here as often as I can to write news about the progression of the game

Media
The only screenshot I've made so far:

Final thoughts
I apologize for any mistake I may have made while writing this post, I'm an italian student so english is not my first language.
Hope to see someone around. Feel free to drop comments below!

Thank you! Smiley
whistlerat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 07:08:46 AM »

Don't worry about your English, it's near flawless! Game looks good - I do love a simple, strong premise. The name is very evident in the darkness of the screenshot... as someone irrationally but completely terrified of Minecraft's caves, I can see this messing with me in the same way.

Will it be local coop only? If I wanted to play alone, will there be an option for an AI companion, or would it be playable with one character?

InterGalactic
Level 0

Indigo Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 07:58:12 AM »

Cool concept, so you always need 2 player Co-op or there will be AI co-op? Also, I see potential for the lighting to be capitalized on. So what of it? Like I see a torch on the screenshot but no lighting effects.

Fede3751
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 09:30:57 AM »

Hello and thank you for your interest! Smiley

Games is currently only for local coop.
Both characters may be controlled in single player using one analog stick of the gamepad per character.
Local coop is the way the game was thought at first: I really liked people screaming at each other while playing at the GGJ, but single player is viable with a little bit of coordination.

The lighting effects currently in game is just a "draw far tiles darker than close tiles"
I'm starting to work on some real light effects and a fog of war now (everything on screen is currently visible).
Some skills may change the way the torch behaves so it is a must.

Game is written from scrap in HTML5/Javascript.
I'm planning to share the libraries I've written for this game on GitHub as soon as they're in a good state.

Thank you again and do not hesitate to ask further question if you want: explaining what I'm thinking really helps in the execution of it! Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic