Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411637 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 14, 2024, 01:37:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFish - A pointless game about dragging fish into a box
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Fish - A pointless game about dragging fish into a box  (Read 397 times)
Zandra
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2017, 02:50:33 PM »

Fish is a simple game.
It's a game about taking fish out of an ocean, and putting them in a boat.
That's about it.

Story time
About two years ago, on april 1st, I got in a skype call with some of my friends. Since I was still pretty early on in my skills, the and I wanted to make something like like 5 seconds, I made a game where you dragged fishes (that weren't stolen from a particular block-based game) into a box.
Fish 0.2 is basically the first, and maybe only, update to that game. We've added some actual water, a boat, amazing cloth physics, randomly colored fish, and some music.

So yeah. If you want to waste your life playing this joke, go ahead.

https://zandra.itch.io/fish
Yes, it's free. When you press "Download Now", just press the "No thanks, just take me to the downloads" link.
I don't know why anyone would pay me for this but hey, it's there.

-Plans for features if people actually like the game-
More fish types : Aggressive fish that eat other fish, making it harder to get points, as well as more sprites for fishes.
Some kind of upgrades : Probably automation. Ways to spend your points, so you get more points.
Different levels : Beach, Ocean, Arctic, ect. Different places with unique fish.
Procedural Coral : For the levels it calls for, procedural coral and stuff. The edges of the level.
Easter Eggs : Fish can roll.

Just a guy who likes making games and wishes he could art better. Learning, though! Practice makes perfect!
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 03:18:40 PM »

That little crate with the flag is so mesmerising, how did you animate it?

Zandra
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 03:51:58 PM »

That little crate with the flag is so mesmerising, how did you animate it?

Sample the same noise value for the waves that are generated at the left and right sides of the boat.
Get the "normal" of those two points, the perpendicular direction to them.
Set the boat's "up" direction to match that direction, and move the boat to the point half-way between them.

It's actually a lot of steps now that I put it like that, but it looks great and adapts to the water!
The flag is just a cloth using the default plane model (aka a 5x5 plate of quads.) with some momentum moving to the left. Realtime cloth simulation does the rest.

Just a guy who likes making games and wishes he could art better. Learning, though! Practice makes perfect!
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 04:05:34 PM »

This name is familiar for some reason  Huh?

The game is kinda relaxing and that boat is indeed very well animated.

Zandra
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 04:31:59 PM »

This name is familiar for some reason  Huh?

The game is kinda relaxing and that boat is indeed very well animated.

EDIT:
Oops. I see now. Great minds think alike?

I think a game came out recently called Fish. It's not this probably.
There's also Phil..

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic