Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411658 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 12:48:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)best practice if statements
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: best practice if statements  (Read 15990 times)
Zaphos
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2010, 02:01:16 AM »

I believe Rube Goldberg proved definitively that over-engineering is a good thing.
westquote
Level 0

I make games in Philly. How rare!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2010, 02:02:28 AM »

Clarity in code is rather subjective, and is often defined per-individual as a function of their familiarity with programming paradigms, techniques, and languages.  For example, novice programmers often express themselves with extreme verbosity in code, because they wish for it to map more closely to what they would say in spoken language.  More experienced programmers usually grow to prefer less-long-winded code because it more directly expresses the essence of the computation.  That being said, whether a given stylistic decision is motivated by brevity or by clarity can be difficult to determine, because the two are so often conflated.

On that note, here are a couple of controversial expressions with regards to clarity:

Clamp Expression
Code:
x = x < 0 and 0 or x > 10 and 10 or x
Code:
x = std::max(0, std::min(10, x))

Ternary Lookup Table
Code:
int ret = x > 5 ? 10 :
          x > 4 ? 9 :
          x > 3 ? 8 :
          x < 1 ? 3 :
                  5;

When I first saw this kind of expression, I did a double-take, and silently scolded the author for writing unclear ("clever") code.  In retrospect, though, the code would have been perfectly clear to me if I were used to seeing these kinds of expressions.  The fault, if any, was simply my unfamiliarity with the paradigm being used.  While a group of people may agree collectively to cater to the lowest common denominator, it is by no means a given.

I mention all of this as a roundabout way of saying that if you don't know the precedence rules for your language, it's really not the fault of the person who does.  If someone doesn't understand how for loops work, it's not reasonable for them to expect or demand that their coworkers only write while loops on the basis that for loops are confusing.  By analogy, I don't think you should expect them to wrap all their expressions up in needless parentheses; doing so would be a courtesy to you, like speaking slowly and enunciating when communicating with an inexperienced English speaker.

Unrelated, here's a class of solution to the original poster's question that can be quite fast in a number of languages:

Code:
const int lut[] = {
  0, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 0, 0, 0, 0
};
b = lut[a];

This approach can work exceptionally well in situations where you are comparing a single integral key from a small domain.  RapidXml, for example, uses these kinds of lookup tables for a number of inner-loop operations, primarily because it's a performance win.  LUTs are also probably the closest thing you can get to a switch statement in Lua, so they are important to understand in that context as well.

Goodnight! Smiley
--Tim A.

Twitter: @westquote - Webpage: Final Form Games
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2010, 02:09:58 AM »

By analogy, I don't think you should expect them to wrap all their expressions up in needless parentheses; doing so would be a courtesy to you, like speaking slowly and enunciating when communicating with an inexperienced English speaker.

Well, quite. And we never come across programmers who are inexperienced with the language, do we? Just as we never encounter persons for whom English is a second language. Roll Eyes

nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2010, 03:15:59 AM »

@westquote

a lookup table is something that hadn't crossed my mind in this case.
it could save alot of retyping the same code.

but i don't think i can use it here because the actual if statements look more like this:

Code:
ElseIf lower_level>0

If this_level=0
If lower_level=255
tile=5
EndIf
ElseIf this_level=2
If lower_level=253
tile=5
ElseIf lower_level=357
tile=22
ElseIf lower_level=291
tile=11
EndIf
ElseIf this_level=4
If lower_level=251
tile=5
EndIf
ElseIf this_level=6
If lower_level=293
tile=11
ElseIf lower_level=249
tile=5
ElseIf lower_level=185
tile=19
EndIf
ElseIf this_level=8
If lower_level=405
tile=25
ElseIf lower_level=281
tile=12
ElseIf lower_level=247
tile=2
EndIf
ElseIf this_level=9
If lower_level=246
tile=4
EndIf
ElseIf this_level=10
If lower_level Mod 2=1
If lower_level <256
tile=2
Else
tile=1
EndIf
EndIf
ElseIf this_level=11
If lower_level=244
tile=4
EndIf
If lower_level=212
tile=4
EndIf
ElseIf this_level=12
If lower_level=277
tile=12
ElseIf lower_level=243
tile=2
ElseIf lower_level=115
tile=1
EndIf
ElseIf this_level=13
If lower_level=242
tile=4
EndIf
If lower_level=114
tile=33
EndIf
ElseIf this_level=14
If lower_level=185 Or lower_level=49 Or lower_level=115 Or lower_level=17 Or lower_level=33'Or lower_level=245
tile=1
EndIf
If lower_level=245 Or lower_level=241 Or lower_level=177
tile=2
EndIf
ElseIf this_level=15
If lower_level=240
tile=4
ElseIf lower_level=16
tile=16
ElseIf lower_level=144
tile=4
EndIf

If lower_level=48
tile=33
EndIf

EndIf

EndIf

as you can see its nested a few times, and not uniform enough for such an approach. (I think)
Hajo
Level 5

Dream Mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2010, 07:22:29 AM »

Such if constructs have a high chance to turn into a error den and a maintenance nightmare. Particularly with all the magic numbers there ...

I'd assume you can break that down in smaller procedures which are easier to understand, and inside each you can use lookup tables and loops ... most likely you can have _one_ procedure that is just called for each level, and fed the proper data (lookup tables) for this one level to do the tile calculation.

Per aspera ad astra
westquote
Level 0

I make games in Philly. How rare!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2010, 09:02:11 AM »

as you can see its nested a few times, and not uniform enough for such an approach. (I think)

Hmm, let me give it a shot.

This seems more like a problem of data entry, so the optimal solution is probably expressed in those terms.  One approach you might take is to generate a unique hash for each (this, lower) tuple, and then to store your data in a hash -> tile map.

Code:
tileMap = {}
function AddTile(thisLevel, lowerLevel, tile)
  assert(thisLevel < 65536 && lowerLevel < 65536)
  local hash = thisLevel << 16 & lowerLevel
  tileMap[hash] = tile
end

In this specific case, most of the values fall into this schema, with the notable exception of 10.  In this case, a simple exception case may be all you need. 

Code:
if lowerLevel > 0 then
  if lowerLevel == 10 then
    if lowerLevel % 2 == 1 then
      tile = lowerLevel < 256 and 2 or 1
    end
  else
    tile = tileMap[hash]
  end
end

From that point on, the question becomes how you input your data.  Here's a rather direct, brute-force example.

Code:
function LoadTiles()
  AddTile(0, 255, 5)
  AddTile(2, 253, 5)
  AddTile(2, 357, 22)
  AddTile(2, 291, 11)
  AddTile(4, 251, 5)
  AddTile(6, 293, 11)
  AddTile(6, 249, 5)
  AddTile(6, 185, 19)
  AddTile(8, 405, 25)
  AddTile(8, 281, 12)
  AddTile(8, 247, 2)
  AddTile(9, 246, 4)
  -- 10 is special-cased above
  AddTile(11, 244, 4)
  AddTile(11, 212, 4)
  AddTile(12, 277, 12)
  AddTile(12, 243, 2)
  AddTile(12, 115, 1)
  AddTile(13, 242, 4)
  AddTile(13, 114, 33)
  for _, v in pairs({185, 49, 115, 17, 33, 245}) do
    AddTile(14, v, 1)
  end
  for _, v in pairs({245, 241, 177}) do
    AddTile(14, v, 2)
  end
  AddTile(15, 240, 4)
  AddTile(15, 16, 16)
  AddTile(15, 144, 4)
  AddTile(15, 48, 33)
end

This isn't to say that this is will be better or faster for your needs (though it may), but more to show you how you might express it in terms of a table lookup instead of nested if statements.  At the end of the day, expressing things as table lookups usually boils down to transforming logic into data.  I hope it's of some help,

--Tim A.

Twitter: @westquote - Webpage: Final Form Games
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2010, 09:33:14 AM »

first of all thanks for taking the time to actually fill in all the data.

what does this:"local hash = thisLevel << 16 & lowerLevel"  mean in people english ?
and likewise what do you do here :"for _, v in pairs({185, 49, 115, 17, 33, 245}) do"

again, It's alot of help, thanks !
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2010, 11:05:57 AM »

first of all thanks for taking the time to actually fill in all the data.

what does this:"local hash = thisLevel << 16 & lowerLevel"  mean in people english ?
and likewise what do you do here :"for _, v in pairs({185, 49, 115, 17, 33, 245}) do"

again, It's alot of help, thanks !
My question is what exactly are you trying to do with this code?  It obviously involves layers of tiles?
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2010, 12:28:42 PM »

the code comes from this program

Basically it's a 3d tile calculater that checks its 9+9+8 neighbours (thus the large amount of 'magic' numbers) and well works out wich tile to show . This happens 4 times (once for every possible visible side) And so it 'generates' the proper tile.
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: February 08, 2010, 05:32:18 AM »

I believe Rube Goldberg proved definitively that over-engineering is a good thing.

Zing!
CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: February 08, 2010, 05:54:49 AM »

The problem exposed on the first page seemed so simple, and still after 6 pages the discussion is still going on... incredible.

EDIT: 7 pages now Smiley

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 08, 2010, 09:23:47 AM »

Hey! The smaller the problem the bigger the discussion! Are you new to committees or something?  Durr...?

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
CiroContinisio
Level 3

Eat this!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: February 08, 2010, 11:46:42 AM »

Hey! The smaller the problem the bigger the discussion! Are you new to committees or something?  Durr...?

Yes surely I am. Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic