Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411679 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 17, 2024, 10:27:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: Stage 1: Outer Wall (Cavestory)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: Stage 1: Outer Wall (Cavestory)  (Read 32262 times)
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2008, 03:48:01 AM »

I'd like to see zoom tried, sure, but I've got a feeling it'll be rather awkward in a game like this. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

I'm all up for auto-scrolling levels, though! Keep things interesting.
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2008, 05:48:24 AM »

Keep in mind that in Smash Bros, the scrolling level forced people to focus almost entirely on climbing and ignore the other players. It might work, though, if it scrolls slowly and at a constant speed instead of quickly and with varying speed like in those others.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 06:27:36 AM by Gold Cray » Logged
Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2008, 07:07:24 AM »

Y'know, we could always just do splitscreen.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2008, 07:20:42 AM »

I like it, but the single block towards the top might trip people up without adding much use to the stage. I love the tiles, though, and I would recommend using at least that tileset for the stage.

I'm also of the opinion that there should be a bit more to it than just those few ledges. I would recommend adding a bit more height to it, and also messing with the KO details. Would it be cool if the wind would help blow you back onto the stage if you get knocked to the right to far? It would probably help and prevent the stage from getting too one-dimensional.
medieval
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2008, 07:21:51 AM »

I'll have to say no to Stij, that'd be pretty frustrating because most of the time the players will be close to one another anyway.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2008, 07:27:58 AM »

I'll have to say no to Stij, that'd be pretty frustrating because most of the time the players will be close to one another anyway.

Well, one could use a single screen when they are sufficiently close together, and splitscreen only when they don't fit on one screen.
medieval
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2008, 07:28:56 AM »

Well, one could use a single screen when they are sufficiently close together, and splitscreen only when they don't fit on one screen.
Huh?
Corpus
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2008, 08:08:56 AM »

Scaling could totally be manageable. Just have certain zoom levels that it settles on, such as 1x, 2x, 4x etc., which preserve the look of the pixes. Only allow the art to be scaled to more awkward sizes in the transitions between these "safe" scale areas.
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2008, 08:47:54 AM »

Personally I I think the best way would be to use predefined scrolling. I mean, it's just the alternative to static levels with the most advantages:

We can make bigger levels with lots of fighting space without everything being so tight. Also the tiles can be designed in a proportional fitting style to the player sprites. Plus it's a nice mechanic which could make for some interesting and unquie level designs. Heck, you even can realize screen rumbling with it!
Also: no ugly jaggy pixel scaling!

If the scrolling has the right speed, it shouldn't be a problem for the player to keep up with it. It would even add to the gameplay because it gets more intense that way...

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2008, 08:50:55 AM »

Huh?

Yes, that's quite a good argument; but would you care to elaborate a bit further?
Stij
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2008, 09:22:35 AM »

Huh?

Yes, that's quite a good argument; but would you care to elaborate a bit further?
Because it's hella disorienting and doesn't look good?

Anyway, I was just suggesting the splitscreen thing as a last resort. I'd rather see Corpus' solution, which is similar to the Star Control 2 method I mentioned earlier. The only downside to it is that you have to make waaaay more sprites.
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2008, 09:36:19 AM »

I don' think there's a big chance that anyone would want to do all the sprites four times. And even if we agreed on it, this is a guaranteed project killer, since it's just too much of an effort to actually get it done...

Clemens Scott
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2008, 09:39:24 AM »

Scaling could totally be manageable. Just have certain zoom levels that it settles on, such as 1x, 2x, 4x etc., which preserve the look of the pixes. Only allow the art to be scaled to more awkward sizes in the transitions between these "safe" scale areas.
There are two problems with this:
1) We need to scale down, not up
2) The sprites are pretty big, so even scaling up just to 2x will be too much for most resolutions.

In any case, I don't think zooming back will look that bad. Non-scrolling levels shouldn't be too big, anyways, so it shouldn't happen often.

Corpus
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2008, 09:43:05 AM »

No, I mean that the sprites would be scaled. Their pixels would get bigger.

That's why you would only allow it to settle on square integer scales, so that you don't get the nasty misshapen pixels effect.

Actually, Cactus has scaling pixel graphics in his games all the time, and that looks fine.

WRITTEN AFTER NIGHTSHADE'S POST:
Oh, right, yeah, scaling down. Well, that's even easier: just have the game played at a minimum of 2x scale, and then you can always scale down.
medieval
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2008, 09:48:34 AM »

I think, actually, that most players will be able to play 800x600
Stij
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2008, 09:51:18 AM »

No, I mean that the sprites would be scaled. Their pixels would get bigger.

That's why you would only allow it to settle on square integer scales, so that you don't get the nasty misshapen pixels effect.
Hurr, I misunderstood what you said. My bad.

Yeah, that method would probably be best.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2008, 10:15:19 AM »

@Muku: I never liked games that did that. when it splits it's always too jarring and disorienting, and then you don't know your position in relation to the other players, and and and it's just annoying.

And I agree on Kovski. We want to be able to actually finish this, you know.

Honestly, the zooming in and out is seeming much more appealing the more I think about it. I mean this is about making a good, fun game with indie characters, not a pixel-purist one. If scrambling the art a bit is what it takes, then I'm all for it.

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2008, 10:29:19 AM »

...not a pixel-purist one.

Shocked

NNOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Ah, well, what the heck, I'll leave this to the coders to decide as they actually have to do the real work, but if it is zooming, then zooming it shall be.

Clemens Scott
Corpus
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2008, 10:32:26 AM »

It's pretty-purist, not pixel-purist.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2008, 10:40:22 AM »

What? That doesn't mean it can't still be pretty. Undecided

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6