Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411636 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 14, 2024, 12:04:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingAll these boxes
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: All these boxes  (Read 2663 times)
chickenhead
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2010, 01:40:47 PM »

Been working on simple puzzle game for the browser. This is another one of those html5 experiments (only works in Safari and Chrome at the moment).

You can try it at http://www.alltheseboxes.com

I would be interested in how hard/easy you found the puzzles or if you didn't understood the rules at all. Oh and I've only created puzzle 1-18  so far.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 03:43:27 PM by chickenhead » Logged
OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 02:07:32 PM »

Works fine here on Chromium 6.0.472.53 (57914) Ubuntu 10.04

Fun game, I was stuck on level 2 until I realised that it didn't need to be a quadrilateral shape  Cheesy
RCIX
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 02:49:47 PM »

uh, what do i do? Huh?
sereneworx
Level 10

What a terrific duvet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 03:10:38 PM »

This is great!

I'm totally stuck on level 8 though. I have no idea what on earth I'm meant to be doing.
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 03:16:08 PM »

Love the concept here, I'm suck on "Meh heh heh" =) Works great here on Chrome 5.0.342.9 beta under linux... Really nicely conceived and implemented.
chickenhead
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 03:16:51 PM »

uh, what do i do? Huh?

Yeah, I know the introduction to the rules is a bit confusing. But briefly the goal is arrange the blocks so that they form a shape which matches the shape of a block magnified 2x. For some puzzles this can't be done directly so you have to repeat this procedure until there's only one block left.
chickenhead
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 03:30:38 PM »

Thanks!

Love the concept here, I'm stuck on "Meh heh heh" =)

Oops, my mistake that level was broken. Should be fixed now.

I'm totally stuck on level 8 though. I have no idea what on earth I'm meant to be doing.

That's a single step puzzle. Note that the shape of the final block can have any shape as long as it's 2x the size of something. It can even have holes.  Wink
RCIX
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 03:38:14 PM »

I think the issue is that i'm stuck on the main menu Sad (FF4b6, win7 x64 ultimate)
chickenhead
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 03:45:14 PM »

I think the issue is that i'm stuck on the main menu Sad (FF4b6, win7 x64 ultimate)

Unfortunately, it  doesn't  run in firefox yet.
lasttea999
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 03:46:07 PM »

Fun, but on level nine I keep shrinking some blocks so as to render completion impossible. Buttons to restart the level and to go back to the main menu would be nice.

RCIX
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 03:47:14 PM »

Unfortunately, it  doesn't  run in firefox yet.
Whoops, didn't notice that Smiley
OneSadCookie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 04:18:06 PM »

Fun!

Difficulty: the last 4 levels I did were 18, 13, 17, and 12, in that order.
General: the instructions are nearly unintelligible (magnified 2x is a much better way of putting it than what you have on the site).  Undo and Restart buttons are a must.

Also, I'd like to be able to see all the shapes I've made for each level on the main screen, rather than just seeing the piece once at the end of the level.
Also, a meta-puzzle where after you finish all 36 you have to make a 37th with the 36 pieces you created would be neat!
Benjamus_Prime
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 04:19:43 PM »

Definitely agree with lasttea.

I got up to level 13 (I skipped level 12). It can be pretty dang hard alright.
chickenhead
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 04:52:42 PM »

Fun!

Difficulty: the last 4 levels I did were 18, 13, 17, and 12, in that order.
General: the instructions are nearly unintelligible (magnified 2x is a much better way of putting it than what you have on the site).  Undo and Restart buttons are a must.

Also, I'd like to be able to see all the shapes I've made for each level on the main screen, rather than just seeing the piece once at the end of the level.
Also, a meta-puzzle where after you finish all 36 you have to make a 37th with the 36 pieces you created would be neat!

Good feedback!
I'll try do an overhaul of the introduction soon and reset and menu buttons are coming tomorrow or within the next couple of days.
OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 09:39:26 AM »

It might be an idea to permanently have the instructions on the page below the play area for easy reference.
moop
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 12:39:38 PM »

This is pretty nifty. :D

Works fine for me in Chrome 6.0.472.63 on OS X Snow Leopard.

Level 8 had me a bit confused. Reading people describing it as make a shape that matches a block magnified 2x made it a bit clearer, I also spent far too long trying to form quadrilaterals which threw me off a bit.

OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 01:04:28 PM »

I sent it to my wife to play, at first she also thought she needed to make squares or rectangles and didn't understand the way the rule was phrased but once I explained it she enjoyed the game. She said she might get the kids at school to play it on a smartboard (she's a maths teacher).

A usability thing that she reminded me of - people try to move the shapes while the text is still up on screen so at first it seems their dragging isn't working (until the click dismisses the text).  Maybe add an "OK" button?
chickenhead
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 03:09:23 PM »

I sent it to my wife to play, at first she also thought she needed to make squares or rectangles and didn't understand the way the rule was phrased but once I explained it she enjoyed the game. She said she might get the kids at school to play it on a smartboard (she's a maths teacher).

A usability thing that she reminded me of - people try to move the shapes while the text is still up on screen so at first it seems their dragging isn't working (until the click dismisses the text).  Maybe add an "OK" button?

Cool, I suppose it could be a good way to get a grasp on odd and even numbers. And regarding the usability issue, I think a small "click to start text" would do the job.

Besides that I just submitted an update which adds:
- Menu and  reset button.
- Three new levels (19-21). The numbers don't reflect the difficulty at the moment.
- Changed the introduction text to use the 'magnified 2x' explanation instead.
chickenhead
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2010, 11:45:33 AM »

I've uploaded an updated version:

- You can now build your own puzzles
- I fixed some annoying bugs.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic