Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411640 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 09:21:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingEndeavor, an exploration game (feedback needed!)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Endeavor, an exploration game (feedback needed!)  (Read 7606 times)
Maunomau
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2010, 12:48:39 AM »

Ooh the bad guy now has a name! (or was it there before, can't remember. Huh?)
What is this, water music?! Was it always there? Shocked And the jungle music is... interesting I suppose. Undecided

I somehow managed to get the falling down event again, I climbed up and tried to use left exit which brought me to upper right corner of the map unable to move. On the ground I got the greeting speech again. I didn't have any of the gems. After I took the sword I got uncontrolled fall and the greeting + ending.
Also youth had no effect on the ending? And is there a limit to nuts you can get from mushrooms?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 12:56:44 AM by Endymion » Logged
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2010, 03:12:09 AM »

Very nicely executed game, it certainly got me hooked up Smiley I found the good ending cryptic and felt more compelled to collect all the gems than to discover what secret the little guy got to tell me. I think it would be better if there was one more place where you can discover the alternative way home. Also jumping felt really strange after collecting 3 or 4 +jump powerups, I could get stunned just by jumping up and landing on a platform only a little bit lower.

Zillix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2010, 07:24:49 AM »

Ah, good call, Endymion!  I was basing the intro text trigger on the player's number of gems. The left exit to the starting area was also incorrectly linked.  Will be fixed in the next version, v.99!

Netsu- glad you liked it!  I'll definitely toss in some extra NPCs to hint at the other endings.  I think I'll replace the 3rd jump powerup (the one you can't get until last) with an endurance powerup or two; the game is pretty much designed around the 2-powerup jump.
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2010, 07:57:56 AM »

So far I'm loving this game.  I'm not very far into it yet.  I'm really happy that it saves progress and I love the climbing/endurance aspect.

I found a bug coming back onto the windy ice screen from the wall to heaven screen.

(I'm hoping this image link works, I'm not real familiar with picasa)

The text the character says on the wall to heaven screen is showing up on the windy ice screen as well.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2010, 08:44:17 AM »

please don't use flixel's default font ):

Zillix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2010, 03:31:31 PM »

Thanks for the tips, guys!

I'm getting the game ready for potential sponsorship, and I'm working on improving the first ~5 minutes of the game to make a more impressive first impression.  Any suggestions for this would be awesome!
kavs
Level 2

Brad Kavanagh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2010, 04:34:00 PM »

Thanks for the tips, guys!

I'm getting the game ready for potential sponsorship, and I'm working on improving the first ~5 minutes of the game to make a more impressive first impression.  Any suggestions for this would be awesome!

• Maybe add clickable buttons to the menu, but still allow the keyboard shortcuts? It would clean it up a bit and break away from the Flixel look.
  • As mentioned above, ditch the flixel default for something else.
  • Title music would be a nice touch.
  • The gray background for the intro is pretty drab; maybe make the background a picture of a note of what your dad is saying to you? Or a silhouette of something.. I dunno, but something more visually pleasing than a gray background. Wink

Zillix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2010, 12:13:36 AM »

Great suggestions!

I guess I don't actually mind the flixel look at all, but maybe that's just me  Wink

I'm trying out a new font, which I believe should be better. I believe I've also fixed all cases of the NPC dialogue coming out blurry.

I've added a new intro background as well, with some basic animations.

Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2010, 01:04:58 AM »

The Flixel default font is great, but really seriously overused at this point. That's all.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2010, 12:42:19 PM »

Yeah. Unfortunately.

---> I played this and I found the stamina bar very interesting (in a good way). I've never seen one used quite in the same way (except... I'm aware that Shadow of the Colossus had a similar stamina sort of thing). This game is really nice! I ought to get around to finishing it, though; I wish there were a way to return to the main hub from the portals.

RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2010, 01:00:59 PM »

nicely done! had fun, liked the stamina system Smiley great feel to the platforming, very knytt esque

Bootleg TurboDrive
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30133
testers welcome: will do playtest swap if you need yours tested, PM
www.richmakegame.com
Igor Hardy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2010, 04:53:21 PM »

I'm working on improving the first ~5 minutes of the game to make a more impressive first impression.  Any suggestions for this would be awesome!

Maybe some additional visual teasing about some great reward (or adventure) awaiting the hero if only he was strong enough to go upwards - after I've fallen down I wasn't so sure that I'll ever get back up there again, or what's my motivation for doing it actually.

Razz
Level 6

subtle shitposter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2010, 08:09:36 PM »

Fun Smiley

My only complaint is that if you do things out of order (Like I did) the NPC's tell you stuff you already know. It would be cool if you could make it so that the dialogue changes depending on what you do. Just a minor annoyance, otherwise it was good fun. Story reminded me of Shadow of the Colossus.

Curseman
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2010, 08:13:47 PM »

Nice game.

One oddity I noticed was that the arrows in the starting area can be killed and have their souls collected.  Is that supposed to work?
Draknek
Level 6

"Alan Hazelden" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2010, 01:44:20 PM »

After the preloader I just get a white blank screen. Sad This wasn't happening before...

EDIT: Nevermind, seems to be working now.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 03:16:38 PM by Draknek » Logged

Woos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2010, 03:13:29 PM »

Really nice! has a great feel to it

Daniel X Moore
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2010, 04:33:39 PM »

I dislike the stun from falling.
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2010, 01:06:55 AM »

Just gave this a proper go, nice work man. No other games come to mind where an endurance bar isn't total bullshit.
ink.inc
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2010, 01:39:34 PM »

The flowers that help you track where you've been are a great idea for any sort of game with exploration in it.
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2010, 06:35:14 AM »

Congrats with the Indiegames blog coverage. I've enjoyed this game a lot and have been waiting for the final version.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 06:08:58 AM by ithamore » Logged

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic