Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411633 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: wcored

May 13, 2024, 05:19:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLemonman - 2D bullet-hell platformer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Lemonman - 2D bullet-hell platformer  (Read 952 times)
Kakapio
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2017, 05:25:03 PM »

Hey,
So I began to work on my first "real" game a couple months ago. The game is about a lemonman who uses various weapons to beat his enemies. Everything is fruit/vegetable based in the game, including weapons. As of now, I've got the "peastol" (Pistol that shoots peas) working completely. The "lemonade launcher" (Essentially a grenade launcher that launches combustible lemons) doesn't yet have explosions that damage, but fires lemons quite well. The "Pepperthrower" (A pepper that's used as a flamethrower) has nice looking flames, but there still needs to be some polishing done.

Peastol:

Lemonade Launcher:

Pepper Thrower:

I've got an artist that's finished five creatures, five weapons with corresponding prefab sprites, and a boss' movement animations.

This game was heavily inspired by Super Crate Box and Nuclear Throne (And Portal to an extent Wink).

I'd really appreciate it if you could test out the game, and leave some feedback!

Jump using Z.
Shoot using X.
Move using arrow keys.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 06:37:48 PM by Ovicior » Logged

What will you make?

Twitter
Scarlet Tower DevLog
Dave_C
Level 0

Retrophile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 09:50:45 PM »

Very early days, but what there is looks nice! I played around but there wasn't much to do. My only real feedback so far would be that the flamethrower should have an extra particle effect for when the flames hit the wall.. it just kind stops dead.. plenty of time to add stuff like that though.

I was also amused that you can stand on the lemon grenade before it explodes... you could work with more stuff like that.. perhaps a rocket that you shoot that you can stand on, the propulsion could start off very slow before picking up speed.

Good luck bud!

maiscrudo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 02:04:35 AM »

Tested it: love the pepperthrower! :D
Like Dave said there's not much to do, but I like the veggie/fruit concept.
About feedback, I think I'd make the pace faster.
Good luck with your project!

Moony Baboon | @maiscrudo
Released games: Wings of Heroes | Waste in Space
Currently developing Trigono
Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 02:49:04 AM »

Game looks great so far with what you've got.

In your title though, you say it's a bullet hell. I'm interested as to how that'll work with being a sidescroller too, given that your traditional bullet hell is top down, so you have a lot of freedom as to dodging projectiles. Maybe you're not going the traditional 1000+ bullets on screen bullet hell, but it's the first thing I thought of.

Kakapio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 04:39:55 AM »

Very early days, but what there is looks nice! I played around but there wasn't much to do. My only real feedback so far would be that the flamethrower should have an extra particle effect for when the flames hit the wall.. it just kind stops dead.. plenty of time to add stuff like that though.

I was also amused that you can stand on the lemon grenade before it explodes... you could work with more stuff like that.. perhaps a rocket that you shoot that you can stand on, the propulsion could start off very slow before picking up speed.

Good luck bud!
Thanks! That's an interesting weapon idea :D
Yeah, I'll add the flame particle smoke stuff later.

What will you make?

Twitter
Scarlet Tower DevLog
Kakapio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 04:40:26 AM »

Tested it: love the pepperthrower! :D
Like Dave said there's not much to do, but I like the veggie/fruit concept.
About feedback, I think I'd make the pace faster.
Good luck with your project!
Thanks! I'm sure the pace will be better once there's more enemies and whatnot Smiley

What will you make?

Twitter
Scarlet Tower DevLog
Kakapio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 04:41:12 AM »

Game looks great so far with what you've got.

In your title though, you say it's a bullet hell. I'm interested as to how that'll work with being a sidescroller too, given that your traditional bullet hell is top down, so you have a lot of freedom as to dodging projectiles. Maybe you're not going the traditional 1000+ bullets on screen bullet hell, but it's the first thing I thought of.
I wouldn't really say it's a traditional bullet hell. It might not even BE a bullet hell. That was the only word I could think of when I made the title. Thanks :D

What will you make?

Twitter
Scarlet Tower DevLog
lobstersteve
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 01:40:10 PM »

Animation looks very good Smiley
Off to a good start
Kakapio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 08:16:21 PM »

Slow but steady progress! Trying to make the flame thrower look better with some smoke particles. As you can see, there are some issues where it glitches through enemies. This is most likely due to me using the built-in physics engine, and re-constructing the collider of the flamethrower particles every frame of the animation. This is not at all an efficient method. I'll have to work on manually creating a collision detection system using raycasts. That'll take a while.

What will you make?

Twitter
Scarlet Tower DevLog
Kakapio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 10:17:41 PM »

New stuff! There are now tiles, and I made a simple demo map! Everything seems to be working great :D

Except for the flamethrower Sad
Also the lemon grenade launcher doesn't do damage for some reason. I'll have to track down that bug.

What will you make?

Twitter
Scarlet Tower DevLog
Kakapio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 02:36:32 PM »

Alright! So now the lemonade launcher's explosions do damage based on how close you are to the center of the explosion. Closer = more damage! I also fixed some issues with the animationManager, and it seems to be working relatively well. The method PlayAnimationOnce, however, does not appear to be working for the weapon chests (As they open, then close, then open again).

There are still some issues with the 2D platformer controller, as the player can fall through some slope tiles, but it seems to be working quite well!

There's also now a shader that turns the enemy white when the take damage. I also added some rough sounds a friend made.

Gif:

What will you make?

Twitter
Scarlet Tower DevLog
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic