Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411581 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 06:04:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignBrainstorm : Perfectionnism
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Brainstorm : Perfectionnism  (Read 2145 times)
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: July 29, 2011, 04:41:20 AM »

Thinking about the problem of perfectionism that me, some of my friends and a lot of people around here and in other creative or development communities have...

...I started to think that there might be ways to work on ourselves with help of a game?

The goal would be to design a game that :
 - help realisation perfectionism (maybe by exploiting/making obvious analisis-paralisis?)
 - maybe help to learn ways to reduce the negative impact of perfectionism
 - ?

Here I consider that perfectionism have a bad but also a good side so it shouldn't be totally considered a problem, but only something to better realise and manage in an efficient way.

Maybe games with such goals would help us all? What do you think?

So here I'd like to ask you if you have ideas of game concepts, game mecanics and other ideas, whatever they are, that might inspire us to build something to help us (recursivity is natural).

At the moment I'm still thinking about starts of ideas but didn't get something interesting yet, so maybe you have some and want to share?

jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 04:56:11 AM »

I think the most important thing is to realize that a game is never done: there is simply a point where you have to stop working on it and throw it out.

Also, make sure you take decisions. Perfectionism only works when you actually do something with it.

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 05:01:26 AM »

Yes, at the moment I'm thinking about macanics of hard choices, but with a coin fliper in the interface (that don't give you anything else that the fliping result).

But until now it's still hard to think about a game concept that would exploit that in an interesting way, that's why I ask here.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 09:16:33 AM »

Plan milestone, not taask

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 03:51:06 PM »

A game about planning?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 07:12:39 AM »

Plan milestone, not taask
Pretty much, yeah.
Uykered
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 03:32:38 PM »

Pro tip: this game sounds boring. If you want to communicate something like this just do it in text its much clearer that way.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 06:56:41 AM »

Again, it's not really about communicating, it's about experiencing it. And then play with the concept.

C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 01:28:56 AM »

Perhaps some kind of game where the purpose of each level/central mechanic is to convert some kind of chaotic object to a more ordered form.

It's kind of a broad outline of an idea and may be too abstract for your purposes, though.
antymattar
Level 5

Has earned the contemporary *Banned* medal

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 12:03:02 AM »

Consider a painting, the Artist is never done painting it until it is perfect in his eyes. But, by becoming perfect it becomes almost real, and by becoming "real" it is no longer a painting.

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 07:28:02 AM »

Perhaps some kind of game where the purpose of each level/central mechanic is to convert some kind of chaotic object to a more ordered form.

It's kind of a broad outline of an idea and may be too abstract for your purposes, though.

I'm mostly at this point too in my thinking.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic