Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:31:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMinion's Story [On Hold]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Minion's Story [On Hold]  (Read 13013 times)
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: May 01, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »

This game is currently on hold due to a lack of time and money from both myself and the artist. The most likely scenario is that it will be rebooted with an actual budget using Kickstarter or otherwise, somewhere down the line, but right now, making it with RPG Maker doesn't live up to my expectations in terms of interesting gameplay and lag-free cross-platform operation. I don't intend to use the engine for any more long projects, at least.

The future incarnation of the game might be released as a portable Action RPG on a mobile platform (e.g. Android). It will have new and improved gameplay and graphics, and will no longer be freeware, but will otherwise be generally similar.

In the meantime, I am working on a new project with significantly less gears or fighting.

-SundownKid

« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 01:56:07 AM by SundownKid » Logged

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 05:14:16 PM »

Most games built with these kinds of engines suffer from schizo-style... that is, the HUD is all smooth and fancy, while the game is sprited and pixeled. Hopefully you'll fix that later, but there's no need as of yet.

The idea sure sounds interesting, and the monster mechanic reminds me of the SaGa / Final Fantasy Legend series.
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 05:26:42 PM »

Most games built with these kinds of engines suffer from schizo-style... that is, the HUD is all smooth and fancy, while the game is sprited and pixeled. Hopefully you'll fix that later, but there's no need as of yet.

That can be solved easily enough simply by making the HUD out of pixel art. I do have concerns that a pixel font would be harder to read, but it's also definitely possible.

All the other art, though - I really have no pixel art skills, so I think it might have to be left as is.

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 08:36:38 PM »

New forest screenshot get!

antymattar
Level 5

Has earned the contemporary *Banned* medal

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 08:08:15 AM »

I wondered where out devlog was.

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 10:53:57 AM »

Now introducing Moral Choices(TM)! They're the truly next-gen way to go!
Choose between "kind of evil", "evil", and "borderline psychotic"!

« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 12:29:23 PM by SundownKid » Logged

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 08:58:08 PM »

Just posting to say that the demo should be out in a week or two.

Almost all the music is done for the game, and Level 1's almost done, so I think this means the progress meter can go up another 10%.

Here's the new title screen:

And a screenshot with the new and improved Minion:

Giaddon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 09:02:02 PM »

Love the dialogue in the last screenshot. This looks really neat! I look forward to the demo.

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 09:08:37 PM »

Love the dialogue in the last screenshot. This looks really neat! I look forward to the demo.
Thanks! My goal is to make it as funny as possible. As funny as wanton destruction can be. Evil

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 04:18:16 PM »

Incomiiiing! I'm looking for some testers for the demo, to make sure that everything is working as it should and there are no balance issues or any confusion. So, just reply here if you want to give it a test run.

leonelc29
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »

i'm on for the lowest system requirement test. Cheesy
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 08:57:07 PM »

Hmm... since RPG Maker XP is about 6 years old, I don't think it should be that much of a strain on your system.  Cheesy

I have to fix some things regarding music, so I'll hopefully be able to send it out tomorrow.

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »

And, of course, something goes wrong. Facepalm The demo has now been reuploaded. All those responsible have been "dealt with".

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 09:20:44 PM »

I'll test the demo and let you know what I think. (tomorrow)

Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 10:25:30 PM »

It installed fine but when I try to run the game, this happens

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 10:43:37 PM »

I reuploaded the demo, it should fix the problem entirely.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 12:00:23 AM by SundownKid » Logged

leonelc29
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 06:43:26 AM »

OMG! i feel really terrible for delaying the game testing! Concerned
my entire morning are dedicated for a trip to my junior exhibition

will reply you later Wink
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 10:34:51 AM »

No problem. If the game crashes or otherwise has a problem somewhere, let me know.

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 12:54:48 PM »

I tested it! Here's what I thought:

Art: Not usually the style I like, but for some reason it worked really well for this game! I liked it! One glitch I found though was one of the trees wasn't together correctly. The top half was jittering above the bottom half.
Gameplay: Fun, easy and unique!
Music: Great, except I'm not sure they loop correctly. During the "Shadow Minion" scene, the music suddenly stopped and then started over.
Story: It was awesome! It kept me interested, and I actually liked it so much that I stopped playing immediately after the Shadow minion scene simply because I didn't want to spoil it for when I play the finished product! Also, the humor was perfect. I loved that all of the minions you talk to die, even when they sound fine.

Can't wait for the full game! :D

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2011, 01:24:09 PM »

I tested it! Here's what I thought:

Art: Not usually the style I like, but for some reason it worked really well for this game! I liked it! One glitch I found though was one of the trees wasn't together correctly. The top half was jittering above the bottom half.

I can probably fix that particular problem, though the jittering is a limitation of the engine since it's so old and slow. Them's the breaks, I guess...

Gameplay: Fun, easy and unique!

The village is mainly a tutorial, so it's quite easy to finish. The next level is where it gets more difficult. But, still not that hard if you buy the new weapons and use the shield.

Music: Great, except I'm not sure they loop correctly. During the "Shadow Minion" scene, the music suddenly stopped and then started over.

Yeah, it seems that the new version doesn't fix that problem. I will keep trying, though.

Story: It was awesome! It kept me interested, and I actually liked it so much that I stopped playing immediately after the Shadow minion scene simply because I didn't want to spoil it for when I play the finished product! Also, the humor was perfect. I loved that all of the minions you talk to die, even when they sound fine.

Well, they tend to die easily, being minions and all. They are, however, incredibly dedicated. After the village level you will meet a lot more "alive" minions. I am even hoping to have minion subordinates that assist you in battle. And about the humor, thanks, I am hoping it will get even funnier throughout the game.

Can't wait for the full game! :D

Thanks. Me neither!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 01:37:48 PM by SundownKid » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic