Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411567 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 04:41:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesRecommendation: RPG with lots of upgrade paths?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Recommendation: RPG with lots of upgrade paths?  (Read 3161 times)
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2015, 06:21:52 PM »

Job system is best system

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2015, 10:04:59 PM »

Isn't it a bit broad question, since the rpg's definition itself comes with character customization?
It's a fair concern, because many RPGs don't actually allow for any decisionmaking during character advancement. For example many of the old RPGs would just give you a new skill automatically when you reached a certain level. I don't think that is very interesting personally. That's why I don't consider Chrono Trigger to be the "best game ever" even though I enjoyed the story a great deal. It's simply a rollercoaster with a predetermined start and end point.

And in the games where you can make decisions, sometimes one option is much better than another (who would spend any points on Dexterity in Planescape Torment?). So the question to answer in this thread is, what RPG is the best at offering meaningful decisions in character progression?

(It's Path of Exile)

Well I'm afraid to burt your chrono tigger bubble but there is 13 ending depending on what you actually do in the game. And the fighting is full of many meaningful decision for the observant, enemy pattern and faction, what item you equip together and what team you put together all impact the game in significant way. While you are not allow to directly manipulate stat, equipment fulfill that purpose as they are not always linear power scale and some association produce powerful or contextual result, especially with enemy elemental alignement.

You can brute force but then you would also have to grind a little, playing smart allow you to really open the gameplay, especially when actual unbeatable plot boss CAN be defeated with strategy!

ragnor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2015, 07:20:44 AM »

Age of Decadance maybe? I'm absolute shit at its combat though Shrug
i9s
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2015, 03:13:31 AM »

Divinity Original Sin, I'm not really sure if it qualifies as "indie" but they funded the game through kickstarter Tongue
Anyway the upgrade system is pretty cool, there are no classes so every character can learn every skill.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic