Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411712 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 01:49:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlIndie Brawl: GO HERE TO CONTRIBUTE
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Indie Brawl: GO HERE TO CONTRIBUTE  (Read 91510 times)
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2009, 07:40:23 PM »

That's awesome, Chevy! Kiss

ChevyRay
« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2009, 08:44:53 PM »

Well, hello there!

Yeah, Battlerager brought it up on MSN that it wasn't gonna apparently have online multiplayer 'cause it was hard to code, and Souillard didn't want to screw up the engine now that it already works or something, and I was like Shocked WTF, why am I not doing that for them?

So yeah. I can code the system to work around the already coded characters and everything, so there's no problem with that. While coding the multiplayer engine for Skullboy, I picked up a few awesome tricks that cover for any lag that might have built up, and also make the game run smoothly and send the least amount of information across the network as possible.

God... could you imagine: insane multiplayer Indie Brawl Competition at TIGSource!? Fuck that would be sweet!
Thewaether
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: July 02, 2009, 12:28:24 AM »

This is good news. Looking forward to it!
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: July 02, 2009, 05:18:37 AM »

Great, great work, Soulliard!  I'm definitely going to contribute more artwork soon.  And maybe fix up some of my Naija animations.  Animating in PS is a pain, so I'll stick with Game Maker's image editor from now on.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: July 04, 2009, 11:39:31 AM »

Chevy: That is awesome! I have no experience with coding multiplayer games, so your help would be really appreciated. I wouldn't know where to start. Shrug

ChevyRay
« Reply #105 on: July 06, 2009, 05:42:36 PM »

Chevy: That is awesome! I have no experience with coding multiplayer games, so your help would be really appreciated. I wouldn't know where to start. Shrug
Haha no problem bro, it's a pretty daunting task, and there's nothing in the GM Manual that really explains how the heck to set things up. Even most examples/tutorials found on the GMC are crap -- it took me lots of trial-and-error to get it right.

Basically, though, after the connection stuff is dealt-with, it's really simple. So I'll explain to you how information is passed back and forth, or even write up a tutorial about it here, so the other contributors/programmers are able to add/remove stuff as they see fit without breaking it. But like I said, it's probably best for me to add in the multiplayer after everything else is finished, so I know how I should set things up as far as speed considerations go, etc.

But yeah, the only tough part is the connections/setup stuff, and ping-tracking, etc. After that's all done, the rest is cheese.
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: July 14, 2009, 03:03:02 PM »

Wow, multiplayer support sounds delicious!   Hand Any Key
I also checked out the lates build and am really tempted to pick up some pixeling stuff again... you might not have heard the last of me!  Gentleman
Great work, Soulliard!

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
godsavant
« Reply #107 on: July 14, 2009, 03:08:51 PM »

So you're not dead.

Heroes and Villains seems to have taken its toll on you, my friend.
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: July 14, 2009, 04:59:33 PM »

I also checked out the lates build and am really tempted to pick up some pixeling stuff again... you might not have heard the last of me!  Gentleman
If you have time, that'd be great! Pixeling just hasn't gone as quickly without you...

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: July 21, 2009, 12:53:10 AM »

Yeah H&V did burn me out a little bit, but it was a great experience to do an excursion to "real indie development". Unfortunately things didn't turn out quite as planned, but that's just one of those risks you have to take.

After that I went back to do more freelancing for a mobile game development company here in Vienna, but I quit that two weeks ago. Now I am working on a website project to earn me some money, but I'm trying to push toward indie game dev at some point.

Anyway, I currently can't promise much, but I at least would like to finish up Nikujins graphics sometime and do some other stuff here and there.
I think it's rather strange that graphics are behind that much. Usually I have experienced it the other way round... where are all the spriters?

Clemens Scott
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: July 21, 2009, 05:03:15 PM »

I'll try to take some time out this week to work on graphics.  Soulliard, is it cool if I work directly in the latest gmk so I can use Game Maker's built-in image editor?
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: July 21, 2009, 05:33:11 PM »

Sure! Most of the finished graphics are stored externally, though.

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: July 22, 2009, 06:34:55 AM »

I'll try to take some time out this week to work on graphics.  Soulliard, is it cool if I work directly in the latest gmk so I can use Game Maker's built-in image editor?

Sounds good! You could also work in GMs image editor and copy & paste it to any other application that can save .gif files?

Clemens Scott
Codestar
Level 1

One man, one game

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: August 29, 2009, 08:06:19 PM »

Hey, do we actually have an organized palette to use for the sprites in the game or is it all just whatever people come up with?

Check out my current game project:
Mine to the sky
Soulliard
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: August 30, 2009, 07:55:29 AM »

There's no organized palette- although it might be a good idea.

Codestar
Level 1

One man, one game

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: August 30, 2009, 11:27:13 AM »

Yeah i sprited my game's character out of boredom last night and had a tough time actually finding what colors to use. I had to use that big compilation image from a while back.

Mine to the sky
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 30, 2009, 11:34:47 AM »

The sprite is super cool. We have had people making their own characters before though, and the answer has always been that you should come back when your game is out and famous enough. But the sprite is good, very good.
Codestar
Level 1

One man, one game

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: August 30, 2009, 11:42:19 AM »

Yeah I'm hoping people might like my game enough on it's first public release to maybe be a part of this. But that's quite a while away lol Durr...?

Mine to the sky
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: August 30, 2009, 11:53:41 PM »

I would feel kinda like a poser if i put my own game character into this  Embarrassed

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: August 31, 2009, 05:42:45 AM »

Yeah i sprited my game's character out of boredom last night and had a tough time actually finding what colors to use. I had to use that big compilation image from a while back.

That. is awesome.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic