Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411593 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 10:45:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMUTHERFUCIKNG OBLIGATORY DARK KNIGHT THREAD
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: MUTHERFUCIKNG OBLIGATORY DARK KNIGHT THREAD  (Read 9563 times)
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2008, 03:16:15 PM »

The Batman-y stuff made me giggle with glee.  And the Joker was perfectly, terribly insane.  Ledger was amazing.  (But seriously, fuck that guy.  He had a child and he OD'd.  I guess I'm not one to glorify celebrity personalities...)

One thing left a bad taste in my mouth, though.  Did anyone else catch the 9/11 overtones?  The old superheroes were born out of the nuclear age, I suppose, so it makes sense to see modern adaptations play off our current fears, but, uh...  we have to survey everyone to catch the bad guy?  Civilians are helpless?  We need martial law?  Someone to save us?  Ugh.  I probably just don't watch enough TV.

My friend summed it up pretty well:  "We don't negotiate with The Joker."

Seth
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2008, 03:25:10 PM »

How heroic the ending was portrayed threw me off.  I mean, the Joker won, and so Batman gets the idea to lie to everyone and then Gordon makes a speech about it.  The ending should have been tragic.
increpare
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2008, 03:26:54 PM »

My friend summed it up pretty well:  "We don't negotiate with The Joker."
:D
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2008, 04:00:40 PM »

How heroic the ending was portrayed threw me off.  I mean, the Joker won, and so Batman gets the idea to lie to everyone and then Gordon makes a speech about it.  The ending should have been tragic.

It was tragic for Batman, at least. Tongue

Doesn't seem very off to me, really. Batman seems to me like the kind of character who does what needs to be done, regardless of what if means to himself. He hardly does it for fame and glory.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Seth
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2008, 04:46:02 PM »

I believe that he did it, but it was the mood of the ending, (along with the simplified and unexplored theme of "end justifies the means" of the movie) that threw me off.  The speech and the music and everything would have you believe that Batman succeeded in turning Dent back to the good side instead of just covering it up.
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2008, 05:33:49 PM »

Saw it yesterday.

I liked it a lot, but because of all the praise I was expecting more. Well fuck it, it was a great movie.

The best thing was the pencil.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 04:39:17 PM by Kao » Logged
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2008, 05:54:07 PM »

Heath Ledger was great as The Joker.

As a movie, I thought it started off strong, but then was crushed by the weight of its overlong random plot machinations that made no sense.

I most certainly do not think it's one of the best movies ever, as some of the fanboys at IMDB appear to.

@doomlaser, mark johns
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2008, 04:32:49 PM »

Just say it, and I only have one thing to say about it

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2008, 06:41:41 AM »

That you are dancing behind teh joker?

kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2008, 06:44:28 AM »

Yeah, man Cool
moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2008, 06:59:24 PM »

I think the movie itself is overrated but Heath's performance was definitely the highlight. Christian Bale was average at best and I'm a pretty decent fan of his.

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2008, 12:56:59 AM »

Just saw it. I was a bit sceptic as imho Batman Begins sucks some major balls (c'mon, batman vs. ninjas? Shocked). The movie surprised me in a very positive way. It's actually really good and it keeps you on your toes till the very end.

I miss Burton's imaginative and comic-book like vision though. And sometimes I felt like I'm watching Mission Impossible mixed with Silence of the Lambs. But overall, if I get over the fact that the new batman is semi-realistic, this is how it should be done. Definitely one of the best action movies I've seen in a long while.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Corpus
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2008, 07:51:00 AM »

I saw this when I was in New York the week before last. It was really good, and Ledger was awesome in it.

Some people have suggested that he's only been nominated for X, Y and Z awards because he's dead, but I don't think that's fair. I can't think of another character as over-the-top as Heath Ledger's Joker that's been acted as convincingly and with as much weight.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2008, 05:18:50 PM »

The Joker has always been one of my favorite comic-book villains ever, so seeing Heath Ledger's version was a morbid child's dream come true. I mean, yeah, they didn't really take much time to explain how he got all of those bombs in place, but really, what difference does it make in the end?

The important thing to remember is that there's supposed to be one more Batman movie, supposedly wrapping it all up. I have no idea who they'll use as a major villain, but I hope it's Harvey Dent- that Two-Face was perfect. I was also a bit troubled by the ending scene, with Batman and his wiretapping shenanigans, although I would trust Morgan Freeman with my privacy any day.

The really weird thing is that everyone in the theater burst out laughing during the pencil trick; I just cringed.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2008, 09:14:40 PM »

I just saw it again, but in IMAX this time.
It's worth it.
Seriously.

Pixelworship
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2008, 09:20:53 AM »

Best film since Blade Runner.

@optriromini
policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2008, 09:24:45 AM »

Roll Eyes
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2008, 11:06:00 PM »

A good friend of mine dragged me to this, and say what you will, but I was unable to appreciate it beyond heath's performance.. and the 'artistic' merit that the directing/whatnot..

I didn't enjoy it.  at all..

I find it really hard to spend several hours emotionally investing myself in a cast of characters, only to watch them all die or get ruined.  I don't know.. I'm crazy.

no resolve, barely any hope or anything.. just an unhappy end to an unhappy movie (which of course doesn't make it bad.. just makes it unenjoyable for me).
Carnivac
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2008, 02:41:08 AM »

Only just seen this thread, anyways I saw the movie first a couple weeks ago and though it was superb through and through.  Think the cast all did a great job (personally I think that Bale was the best one, managing to get both Bruce and Batman absolutely perfect).  Loved the story too.  Easily one of my all time favorites already and the first comic book I thought that was any good since... well Batman Begins, and I certainly consider it the best movie of recent times.  I don't usually agree with a lot of hype and reviews (particularly in gaming come to think of it) but I came out of the cinema feeling like I'd finally seen the comic book film I been waiting for since I was a kid and feeling very satisfied with it too.  Very, very impressed with it. 

Seen it three times so far, but not yet on IMAX.  I have personal issues which make that difficult (mainly the journey)

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2008, 01:57:38 PM »

Only just seen this thread, anyways I saw the movie first a couple weeks ago and though it was superb through and through.  Think the cast all did a great job (personally I think that Bale was the best one, managing to get both Bruce and Batman absolutely perfect).  Loved the story too.  Easily one of my all time favorites already and the first comic book I thought that was any good since... well Batman Begins, and I certainly consider it the best movie of recent times.  I don't usually agree with a lot of hype and reviews (particularly in gaming come to think of it) but I came out of the cinema feeling like I'd finally seen the comic book film I been waiting for since I was a kid and feeling very satisfied with it too.  Very, very impressed with it. 

Seen it three times so far, but not yet on IMAX.  I have personal issues which make that difficult (mainly the journey)
Holy shit, I just realized who you are and why your avatar is so awesome.
I stand in awe.

Also, we need to get you pixelhead status.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic