Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 12:47:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralLet's Talk Serious
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Let's Talk Serious  (Read 11302 times)
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2014, 10:20:24 PM »

Actually anita already did some consultant work for bungie and other devs iirc

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2014, 10:28:56 PM »

apples to fucking space oranges man. she's a cultural critic doing exactly what she intended to do with almost machine-like force and consistency. whereas i cant for the life of me figure out what these guys want to accomplish, other than just to insinuate vague conspiracies. the whole thing seems to be to just to use the current cess pit to make themselves feel better about not "winning igf." its the goofiest thing i can imagine.

ive had 2 games as finalists in igf and didnt win either time, but you know what? thats because the games that won deserved it. id gladly lose another 10 times, idgaf.

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2014, 10:36:13 PM »

I wasn't aware of that, and it sounds cool. Still, I maintain that "if you don't like it why not make one yourself" is a very weak counter-argument to criticism and is essentially an ad hominem fallacy.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2014, 10:40:15 PM »

and what criticism is that extactly?

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2014, 10:46:56 PM »

and what criticism is that extactly?
I don't know. I have no opinion about the IGF myself, and couldn't care less who is the winner of that prize and who isn't. I guess you'll have to ask someone else?

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2014, 12:36:07 AM »

If that's indeed the case (disclaimer: I don't know) then that'd be a massive counterargument to those complaining that she has nothing to do with games.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2014, 12:48:51 AM »

no because when feminists do anything in games they're "pushing an agenda" or "stealing the spotlight of fun games" so they can in fact never have any legitimate business in this artform no girls aloud

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2014, 03:18:09 AM »

While telling people to do something themselves is weak criticism, actually doing that thing yourself is a very good solution to the problem, and far more effective than simply providing criticism.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2014, 04:28:11 AM »

While telling people to do something themselves is weak criticism, actually doing that thing yourself is a very good solution to the problem, and far more effective than simply providing criticism.

people are already doing that so no issue there. even i try to be mindful of this stuff in my games even tho they're not explicitly political (tho i would like to try making a political gam in the future).

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2014, 05:12:17 AM »

Apparently it might not have been more consultant job than it was to present her work. I can barely find shit on google.

Smilex
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2014, 12:11:53 PM »

So I see people shouting (mostly on Twitter) that I'm picking a side by being silent. I'm wondering, which side am I picking by being neutural (which is supposedly not possible)?
This is as frusterating to try and understand as quantum physics! Screamy
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2014, 12:40:04 PM »

So I see people shouting (mostly on Twitter) that I'm picking a side by being silent. I'm wondering, which side am I picking by being neutural (which is supposedly not possible)?
This is as frusterating to try and understand as quantum physics! Screamy
It could be argued that silence promotes the status quo, whatever the status quo may be. But yeah, I don't agree with that logic either. It's quite possible to pick no side, or even pick all sides at the same time (by agreeing with some points raised by each side and not others).

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2014, 01:25:52 PM »

Generally, being neutral automatically puts you into whatever is considered the evil side for either party (welcome to politics!).
pottering
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2014, 01:37:47 PM »

arguing against passivity is pretty common
(for a famous example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came_...)

in game dev people say: ideas are worthless, what counts is execution

in real life too, what counts is what you do, your actions, not what you have hidden from the world inside your head
pottering
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2014, 01:42:35 PM »

also, "not moving" and "refusing to move when a friend tries to move you" are completely different situations
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2014, 01:49:17 PM »

howard zinn famously said "you cant be neutral on a moving train". either you are part of the momentum of change, or  the inertia holding it back.

it sucks though, doesnt it?

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2014, 01:54:06 PM »

what counts is execution
i will dispose of one tig source hostage every hour until my demands are met
pottering
« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2014, 02:35:13 PM »

"inertia" is an interesting argument to make it obvious to the math/science-minded how even doing absolutely nothing still affects any situation

Leon Fook
Level 5

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2014, 04:48:55 PM »

if we want to be neutral but have to choose side, i propose we choose outside, as in outside of this stuff.

people calling the neutral guy their "enemy" because they remain silent are basically the extremist they're all talking about.

Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2014, 06:29:00 PM »

I don't typically pay much attention to ongoing shit-flinging in the gamer "culture" but I'm routinely surprised at how sad and pathetic it can get when I take a peek.

howard zinn famously said "you cant be neutral on a moving train". either you are part of the momentum of change, or  the inertia holding it back.

If we're explicitly saying the moving train represents feminism, that sounds about right - in the end, progressives win, culture doesn't remain stagnant. But how are we defining 'neutrality'; what are people neutral about? I'm one to think you either believe something or you don't, a conviction often disputed by self-proclaimed agnostics, but if one were to believe certain points from opposing 'camps', or find them ambiguous, I figure that could be 'neutral' - it's a label. I'd guess that isn't being on the 'wrong side' of things if ultimately you're feminist/egalitarian and chiming on threads every once in awhile, especially if twitter trash-talk is supposed to help 'move the train'. The quote reminds me of an MP whom, on the subject of reducing privacy online once said "you're either with the pedophiles or against them!", which is a bit of a false dilemma. Absolutist statements like that are usually suspect.

I don't understand the motivation for the atrocious treatment any of these ladies received. The only kind that makes sense is being a douche troll with no conscience about non-nonchalantly harassing others online over anything.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 07:08:12 PM by Faust06 » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic