Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411604 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 03:33:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsSeeking level designer and UI designer. Pixel artist welcome.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Seeking level designer and UI designer. Pixel artist welcome.  (Read 1146 times)
soryy708
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: March 05, 2014, 12:44:58 PM »

Hi.

A game; my own, and super simple. Based on Conway's Game of Life.

Description: It's a puzzle game. You're given a starting state and a limited amount of cells you can add to it, and your objective is to have the simulation "grow" as much as possible for score. A simulation "grows" when the amount of living cells increases. Basically, the higher the maximum amount of living cells you've achieved (minus what you started with), the higher your score.

Required talent:
  • Level Designer - Will create the puzzles. This should be interesting because no level is linear. A puzzle consists of a starting state and a number, which represents the amount of cells that the player is allowed to add to it to maximize growth.
  • UI Designer - I'm a programmer. This means that I'm horrible at UI design. Grin This is a fairly simple job because there aren't that many game mechanics to play with. Just figure out the best way to arrange the UI elements, and get profit.
  • Pixel Artist - While I can make a prototype with simple black&white graphics (with the occasional gray), this is not particularly presentable. Would be nice to have actual art associated with the cells. I'm thinking 2D, low-resolution "tiles" with the aesthetic of Spore's cell stage, but I am open for ideas.

This is a non-profit hobbyist project.
Don't expect payment for your contributions. The only thing I can offer is honor and glory. Wink
I think that this should be excellent portfolio material.

More details about the project:
Will have an in-game level editor.
Will work on Windows, Mac, GNU+Linux. iOS and Android are theoretically supported but I haven't experience with those. They're a stretch-goal.
Will save scores locally with the option of connecting to a remote server to fetch (and upload) scoreboards. This is a stretch-goal.

Some technical details:
Uses C++(11)
Uses SDL2
(Rolling my own engine here)

What is it like working with me? Who am I anyway?
I worked on multiple projects:
  • Cacto Loco! - as a composer. I'm credited under 'Additional Tunes'. I was supposed to be the main composer but I dropped out due to writer's-block.
  • To Watch a Bird - as a (lead) programmer. The project died like all the rest.
I'm a composer and here's my soundcloud profile. I mainly do EDM but I can do other stuff too. I'm somewhat classically educated.
but primarily I'm a programmer. Github here. I mainly do C++, but I also know C and C-likes like C# and Java. Always improving myself (especially in C++land).
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 01:09:49 PM by soryy708 » Logged
soryy708
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 11:36:11 AM »

Bump Gentleman

I have a titlescreen with smooth programmer animation

The editor kinda works (there's a graphic bug that you can't see and it doesn't actually save/load anything yet)

The main game knows how to simulate Game of Life and count score
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic