Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411716 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 05:30:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCat Quest - The most pawsome cat adventure ever made - GREENLIT!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: Cat Quest - The most pawsome cat adventure ever made - GREENLIT!  (Read 16978 times)
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2017, 01:23:12 PM »

@Kebbab
Thank you! I hope we win something haha.

@supermega_pete
Thank you! Cat Quest is littered with puns, so there're many more you can check out Tongue

@dewitters
Sorry, I'm a different person from the guy who posted that, but what I think he is trying to say is that we don't have depth for the objects/houses/mountains (they only use the X and Y axis), so we cannot use those depth of field or fog techniques.
The game is indeed set up as 3D with a perspective camera. It is rotated, and the objects use that same rotation, and they don't move in the Z-axis.
Here's a behind the scenes screenshot Tongue

Thanks for the clarification. Smiley

So, how are the sprites used in the game?  Are those just image objects or mesh based (e.g. quad)?
As far as the game is concerned, the current approach already has a great look and runs well performance wise so it's definitely the way to go. 

Similary, how are the overlay images used?  It's mentioned above that it's part of the UI but are those separate image objects or part of a UI object?  (I looked more into the 3d aspect of Unity so far and not much into the built-in UI stuff)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 12:27:39 PM by io3 creations » Logged

alaNintendo
« Reply #101 on: April 06, 2017, 11:36:25 PM »

Looking awesome!  Tiger
TheGentlebros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2017, 01:05:57 PM »

@amanfr01
Thanks for the support!  Beer!

@io3 creations
Those are 2D SpriteRenderers, they're mesh-based I think.

The image that is bigger, has dark green tones and dark corners is used with the ScreenOverlay image effect that is part of the Effects package in Unity's standard assets.
It is kinda like a post processing effect, that blends the overlay texture with what is rendered by the Main Camera.
This component is added to the Main Camera.

The 2 Images that look like simple gradients use the built-in UGUI. They are Image objects that live in the Canvas.
The Canvas' stuff is rendered with another camera, and is always rendered after the Main camera.
So the overlay is always rendered (along with the rest of the GUI), on top of the World view.
The built-in UI is usable in 3D too, so it's likely you'll end up using it as well :D

@IndieDoroid
Thank you Smiley

Here's some updates from us:
We're currently working on adding achievements to the game, as well as doing some polishing wherever we feel needs to be polished.
We're almost getting to the end of the development, and after that we'll be preparing to publish!!!

- Leon Coffee

We are Bros....Gentlebros!
Follow us on Twitter @TheGentlebros
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2017, 04:40:32 PM »

Thanks for the detailed explanation.  My assumption is that if the 2D SpriteRenderers use meshes, then depth could be calculated.  Though whether that would be for each pixel of the entire mesh is another question.  If it comes up, it's probably easy to figure out though.

Not sure if I came across the Screen Overlay ... but it seems simpler than what I had in mind. Smiley

I've looked into some Unity UI stuff about a year ago and saw that Unity was changing/depricating quite a few things so I created a few items (buttons, display items) using other approaches.  It seemed to work quite well and might be better for future compatibility (in case Unity changes/depricates UI)

TheGentlebros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2017, 06:09:12 PM »

Hey everyone!
We haven't yet shown a proper walkthrough of the game, so here it is! This is from a slightly older build, and the game has made even further graphical improvements since then. Smiley

Enjoy!

« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 08:26:51 PM by TheGentlebros » Logged

We are Bros....Gentlebros!
Follow us on Twitter @TheGentlebros
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic