Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411978 Posts in 69458 Topics- by 58491 Members - Latest Member: Imaynotbehere4long

July 01, 2024, 03:59:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCat Quest - The most pawsome cat adventure ever made - GREENLIT!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Cat Quest - The most pawsome cat adventure ever made - GREENLIT!  (Read 17154 times)
TheGentlebros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2016, 06:14:27 PM »

How did you blend those mountains to be looking so smooth with the ground :O ? Are they flat? Or do I think they are flat XD ?

Yes they are just flat 2d sprites, haha.

Cool! If you can notice the game I'm developing in my signature, our new approach is something very similar to your world map. That is why I'm interested in how you achieved that smooth transition. Can you share?  Shocked

Sure! But its not really anything special, just good art design. And I don't mean like its drawn well. All we did was make sure the bottom of the mountain would blend well with the ground(our ground is flat colored). We also faded the edges a little bit near the bottom too. Smiley
Hope that answers your question!

We are Bros....Gentlebros!
Follow us on Twitter @TheGentlebros
Konash
Level 0

@Konash

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2016, 06:30:10 PM »

Got it! Thanks!

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2016, 03:39:33 AM »

Fantastic world map. As with most RPG's, I'm very excited to go to the snowy regions ^^

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
longshorts
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2016, 03:40:59 AM »

Love this style, following keenly!
TheGentlebros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2016, 07:33:30 PM »

It's been a while since we posted any updates! We were working on launching our first game 'Slashy Hero' on Steam, but we're back now!!

We'll be posting more updates now, and we wanted to start things off with a cool new thing we made. Zooming out!

Instead of a minimap, we're giving players the ability to zoom out to see the lay of the land. Its friggin cool in motion!

TonyManfredonia
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2016, 03:40:42 AM »

Woooah! I love that zoom effect?

Is the action still happening real-time while it's zooming out like that? Or does the gameplay kind of go "on pause" for a time?

Composer | Orchestrator
Website
Twitter

Soundtracks include:
Kharon's Crypt
Call of Saregnar
TheGentlebros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2016, 05:32:18 AM »

Woooah! I love that zoom effect?

Is the action still happening real-time while it's zooming out like that? Or does the gameplay kind of go "on pause" for a time?

It pauses so you can gaze at the map without fear of getting whooped! XD

TheGentlebros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2016, 07:16:12 PM »

We're proud to show a near final version of the combat system! It's pretty much there just with some minor polish here and there! What do you all think of it?

- Added enemy tells, so you will know when an attack is coming and can avoid it.
- Certain enemies have different patterns to their tells, so it will require different strategies.
- Added a charge in so player will be able to close in much faster when they slash.
- Enemy gets knocked back after you slash them.
- Added health bars to enemies!

TheGentlebros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2016, 10:15:43 PM »

Some minor updates to the combat! We reduced the health bars as some people have given feedback that they're too big!

Also we're planning on going on Greenlight soon! Anyone here has any experience and can give us some tips? It would be our first time!

Kyuugatsu
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2016, 12:10:37 AM »

Hit up this thread and standardcombo for Greenlight tips.

Your game is really cute!

I like the combat system, it kinda reminds me of the combat in Tales of Symphonia, which is my favorite.

TheGentlebros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2016, 01:28:17 AM »

Hit up this thread and standardcombo for Greenlight tips.

Your game is really cute!

I like the combat system, it kinda reminds me of the combat in Tales of Symphonia, which is my favorite.

Thanks alot! That thread is really useful!

TheGentlebros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2016, 06:04:06 PM »

Cat Quest is on Steam Greenlight now everyone!
Please help us vote and share!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=791480721

TheGentlebros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2016, 05:58:38 AM »

New trailer and...
Vote for us on Steam Greenlight!

TheGentlebros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2016, 06:14:20 PM »

Hey everyone! We're on Greenlight now! So please do give us a vote!

Was also hoping for someone with some Greenlight experience to chime in here...

I'm not sure if these metrics are good for day 1? Are these normal, or are we slightly below average?

TheGentlebros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2016, 06:59:28 PM »

Anyway, we wrote a little blogpost of our development journey for Cat Quest. Did you all know the game actually started out as a dancing game?!

We're not kidding!

You can read the whole story here!

Hopefully, you guys would learn a thing or two from our missteps! If nothing else, I promise it will be an entertaining read.

negator2vc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2016, 07:05:25 AM »

The game looks great!!! amazing job!
I especially like the way the map looks (like a real map unlike the usual topdown tile based game).

TheGentlebros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2016, 07:43:06 PM »

The game looks great!!! amazing job!
I especially like the way the map looks (like a real map unlike the usual topdown tile based game).

Thanks so much!
We spent so much time on the map, haha, glad its paying off!
Do vote for the game on greenlight too, yea! Smiley

TheGentlebros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2016, 08:53:27 AM »

Not sure if anyone would want to read this, but I feel like blogging some of the design decisions we're making with the game. If nothing else, this will help us streamline our thoughts and keep us focused!
But most importantly, would be great to get everyone's feedback and ideas too! And who knows, maybe some of the design choices we made might help you all too. Smiley

1) Designing Progression for an Open World Game.
This proved much harder than we initially thought. We looked at games like Skyrim and Dragons Dogma, and found things we liked in both, but also glaring flaws as well.

Skyrim
What we loved about this was how accessible the world felt. It really felt like you could go anywhere, and that really aided in exploration. If you feel you could safely reach your goal, the motivation to explore off the beaten path is higher. However, this made progression in the character feel flatter than most other games. You never really have any trouble fighting monsters, and there wasn't that feeling of meeting an enemy that is too tough, but coming back later and completely destroying it.

Dragons Dogma
In some ways, I feel progression was done much better here. Parts of the world truly felt dangerous at the beginning, and when you got more powerful, you could return to these areas and completely decimate those foes that were once kicking your butt! However, this led to deaths that came from nowhere because it wasn't clear that you were in an area too high level for you. Coupled with the weird checkpoint system, this meant losing hours of progress if you weren't careful!

And now for what we did in Cat Quest....

So that's our whole map at the moment. We opted for a balance between Skyrim and Dragons Dogma. We wanted the world to feel accessible, because exploration was our main goals. However, we also wanted to give players a strong sense of progression with their character. Enemies that used to take 10 hits to kill, would eventually just take 1. Progression and exploration...two things we had to nail no matter what.

So as you can see, what we did was start players right down south. This is where enemies are easiest. We tell players that going further north, things get slightly tougher. However, this is where we cheat a bit.
Enemies on the world map are always beatable no matter what! Sure enemies near the south are easier, but even as you travel north, enemies get harder, but never TOO hard. A level 1 character could still fight ANY enemy on the map, it would just be difficult...but not impossible.

In addition to this, we gave enemies two values to calculate their level:
- A Min Level
- A Level Scale

The Min Level is the minimum level of the enemy. The enemy will never go below this level. We use this to set the bar for how difficult an area should be.
But because this is going to be a long game, we wanted enemies to still be fun to fight against as the game went along. As such, we gave enemies a level scale, where they would get more powerful as the player gets more power, but never as powerful as the player. So if we give a level scale of 0.5 for example, enemies will always try to be half the player's level, and since our growth is exponential, players will still ALWAYS be getting more powerful than their enemies.

That's for enemies on the overworld. We mix things up in dungeons and caves. These are where we want that Progression feeling to come from. If you look back above, those are the level numbers of all the caves in the game. The red numbers are the 'hard' dungeons relative to those around it.
If you notice, we always surround 'hard' dungeons with manageable ones. This means that if a player explores and comes across a dungeon too hard for him, there is a always a manageable one nearby they can play. Remember how exploration was key for us, we needed players to feel that they could explore, and that there will always be something for them to do!
The 'hard' dungeons would be places where they would see early, and when they got more powerful later on, they would want to return to these dungeons to see how much they've grown. The manageable dungeons are just there so players have something to do en route to beating the 'hard' dungeons.

So that's pretty much how we tried to tackle exploration and progression in Cat Quest! Hope to hear stuff from you guys soon too(don't leave me hanging!) And if you all want, Cat Quest is on Greenlight right now too, and all votes are welcomed! Smiley

TheGentlebros
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2016, 05:18:33 AM »

WE GOT GREENLIT!

Thanks to everyone who voted for us on Greenlight! We were so surprised we were lit so quick(less than a week!).

Just some observations for those who plan to go on Greenlight too.
- The number of votes doesn't seem to matter. We only had 1,173 yes votes when we were lit. And we've seen others getting lit with much lesser too.
- What does matter seems to be the Yes/No ratio. Ours was pretty good, close to 70% Yes. That could have been the reason.
- We were really active on the page. Replying comments every few hours, and making announcements almost every day. It seems others have echoed the same sentiment. Valve probably wants you to show that you care.
- We were super active on twitter too. We think this helped us a lot! Thanks to for all the retweets everyone!
- Having a good trailer and a good description helped too we think. Use lots of pictures and keep your trailer to the point.
- We left a link to our greenlight page from our trailer, and a few sites picked up the story, so we had traffic come from there too.

So that's that! Now we're just gonna bunker down and finish the game! Smiley

Juliano
Level 0

@3dju

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2016, 06:27:02 AM »

Wow!!! Congratulations on beeing greenlit!  :coffee:You deserve it for sure, the game looks beautiful and with a lot of cute details. Loving the fx as well.
Thank you so much for the Greenlight tips, valuable info!  Hand Clap Hand Clap

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic