Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411573 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 03:18:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingLudum Dare game, feedback NAO before it's too late
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Ludum Dare game, feedback NAO before it's too late  (Read 768 times)
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2012, 11:07:14 AM »

Ahoy all!
I'm entering Ludum Dare and here is my game so far:

http://www.antoinegersant.com/LD24/

I still have 6 hours to improve things so any feedback is most welcome!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 12:09:40 PM by agersant » Logged
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 11:36:20 AM »

Hm, I get the instructions, then some nice music starts and I see ... a black screen.  Space and arrow keys do nothing.  Seems broken.

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 11:42:20 AM »

Was uploading a newer version, should be fine now =)
(sorry about that)
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 01:54:07 PM »

Okay, works now Smiley

First play, I thought I wouldn't need to hold space to see *anything* even in shallow water; I just went to the bottom and then exploded on invisible things.

Second play, it feels kind of aimless ... there's nothing that will cause a patient player to die once they understand to press space and pause often.  Analyzing a fish takes a long time, but also isn't challenging because the fish moves at a constant rate/direction (?) and the player can pause and recharge and still catch up with it again.  After analyzing ~3 fish types I seemed to stop finding new things to analyze, so just wandered aimlessly.  Only died when I left it open to write this, and it ran into bombs in the background (and even then, took a while to die).  Some clearer overall time pressure might help.

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
felipezille
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 02:28:02 PM »

The feel, the sounds and the art are really beautiful. It does lack some challenge, or twist, but I enjoyed it, overall.
Cheers!  Smiley
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 08:48:59 AM »

Thank you very much for playing =)

@Zaphos > The tutorial has been improved a bit, it now says "hold the space bar to see what's around you", Hopefully that will lift some confusion. I also added a species meter in the GUI to tell you how far you are from completing the game (there are 5 species to discover).
I sort of disagree about the time pressure suggestion, I like the game being some sort of relaxing exploration thing and I think time pressure would break that feeling completely.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic