Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411672 Posts in 69398 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 05:09:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignWhat disturbs you in games?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Author Topic: What disturbs you in games?  (Read 28376 times)
Kegluneq
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 11, 2010, 04:32:40 PM »

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the sounds in the Nether of MineCraft.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 11, 2010, 04:40:25 PM »

The monster noises in the normal world are creepy enough already. That incredibly disquieting feeling of "something's out there and it's trying to kill me"  Screamy
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: November 11, 2010, 08:53:36 PM »

Minecraft is a level of scary all on its own. It's creepy how it even terrifies you in the first place.

Anyhow, I played DOOM 2 again for a bit today and got reminded how hard it is to play while I'm jittery with fear. There are three games that, for some odd reason, never cease to scare me. They are Minecraft with peaceful off, DOOM, and Ravenholm in Half-Life 2. Zombies don't scare me, I'm rarely scared by horror movies, absolutely no other games have ever really scared me. I don't know why these do.

Well, the thing I fear most in DOOM is the fact that enemies can pop up from behind you or suddenly surround you. I posted earlier about non-euclidean space and all that. Dynamic and actively hostile environments are the next worst thing and DOOM is all for that. HL2 was probably the poison headcrabs. And Minecraft is just innately creepy.
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #143 on: November 11, 2010, 09:01:03 PM »

Oh man, DOOM. When I was younger I was so terrified of that game, since I hadn't played it very much and thought of it as a horror game. Then I read something that made me think differently: something like "DOOM is a horror game until you realize that it's really a balls-out, "hell-yeah!" shooter."

All it took to make me like that game was to think of it as a different genre. Smiley
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: November 12, 2010, 12:44:28 PM »

I find living statues disturbing. Like the ones in the gate way to the river of flame in diablo2. They are non interactive objects but they turn their heads to watch as you run by. Actualy I found most of the animated sceenery in act 4 disturbing. I cohad no issue with the corpse piles of act 3, but eternaly writhing background objects are something else.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
ink.inc
« Reply #145 on: November 12, 2010, 02:15:35 PM »

@Wilson: You'd flip a bitch at the sight of a Weeping Angel, then.
Kegluneq
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 20, 2010, 10:50:32 AM »

I remember when I was a kid, for some reason or another I just couldn't handle the bosses in Zelda: OoT.
I'd make it through the dungeons just fine, but when it was boss time, I'd freak out and give the controller to my brother instead.
Painting that change. Whether I'm looking at them or not.

Also. Yume-Nikki.
BoxedLunch
« Reply #147 on: November 20, 2010, 03:32:32 PM »

i hate giant monsters in the water.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: November 20, 2010, 03:47:39 PM »

i hate giant monsters in the water.

+1 fighting them is so boring...

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: November 20, 2010, 07:08:52 PM »

on this subject, the giant fish in Half-life 1 was really scary.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Sorano
Level 6

Game Designer / Double Stallion Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: November 20, 2010, 10:32:35 PM »

Ant-Lions in Half-Life 2.
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 20, 2010, 10:46:41 PM »

When I was young and playing Spyro the Dragon there were these enormous yellow monsters on one specific level that scared the ever loving shit out of me, and I'm not entirely sure why.

You can see one right at the beginning of the video. I got so scared of them I had to make my dad kill them for me.  Cheesy
ink.inc
« Reply #152 on: November 20, 2010, 10:50:11 PM »

This doesn't have anything to do with videogames, but when I was younger, those animatronic robots from Chuck E. Cheese's scared the piss out of me.

jwk5
« Reply #153 on: November 21, 2010, 06:35:34 AM »

This doesn't have anything to do with videogames, but when I was younger, those animatronic robots from Chuck E. Cheese's scared the piss out of me.
I think it has a lot to do with that soulless, sinister look in their eyes. In a way it does have something to do with video games because I am noticing that "uncanny valley" effect more and more with games featuring "realistic" characters or in certain anime styles used.

I don't know about you, but if someone on the street was staring at me like that I'd just run. No questions, just running.

(EDIT:) She kind of reminds me of the villagers that are staring you down all bugeyed at the beginning of Resident Evil 5, lol.
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 21, 2010, 08:14:39 AM »

+1 fighting them is so boring...

Unless it's RE4's Del Lago
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: November 21, 2010, 01:16:49 PM »

When I was young and playing Spyro the Dragon there were these enormous yellow monsters on one specific level that scared the ever loving shit out of me, and I'm not entirely sure why.

You can see one right at the beginning of the video. I got so scared of them I had to make my dad kill them for me.  Cheesy
oh shit that totally reminds me of the giant zombie-bugs in Jet Force Gemini, on Tawfret. Those things scared the fuck out of me. For the longest time I never went to that planet for any reason.

BoxedLunch
« Reply #156 on: November 21, 2010, 03:30:28 PM »

speaking of spyro, i hated the bushes that came to life in ripto's rage. i never saw them coming.

they're about 4 minutes in.
laserdracula
Level 0

Get ON my plane!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: November 23, 2010, 07:03:39 AM »

Just started playing Shadow Tower for Playstation.  First genuinely creepy game I've played in a while.  Early in the game you travel through a prison area.  You hear what sounds like clothes being ruffled about.  It turns out that there's a room with a hole in the ceiling through which bodies are being dropped into a pit in the floor. 

chumez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 23, 2010, 09:11:28 AM »

speaking of spyro, i hated the bushes that came to life in ripto's rage. i never saw them coming.

they're about 4 minutes in.

Aaah now I want to play Spyro again!  Smiley
And yeah those ... they were annoying, but not so scary  Shrug

And the thing that disturbs me the most would be ...

A creeper ...

Creeping ...

behind you in a cave ... Screamy

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Sorano
Level 6

Game Designer / Double Stallion Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: November 23, 2010, 03:16:25 PM »

OMAGHAHGHAMAMGAHAH AAHHH

Crazy
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic