Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411709 Posts in 69403 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 05:42:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignNth order emergent game in progress
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Nth order emergent game in progress  (Read 7109 times)
bvanevery
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 11:05:02 AM »

They were not the usual motorcycle gang.  Sure, they wore leather, and chaps, and steel zippers, and looked plenty intimidating.  But they also wore flowing, deep burgundy capes with silver brooches.  Ascorba had seen many warriors on many worlds, with many a curious rainment, but the incongruity brought out the hapless tourist in him.

"Excuse me, are you the Romans?"  Ascorba asked, as politely as he could.  Trying to keep his face a mask; he knew the dangers of making any warrior feel silly.

"We're the GRANNIES.  And don't you forget it! ...old man."  The rider hesitated, as though he might have broken club rules, to treat an elder so gruffly.

"Where are your colors?"  Now, clearly to a layperson their literal colors were burgundy, silver, and the requisite black leather of the street, common to all forms of intimidation.  But in a biker gang, the "colors" are the emblem on the back of a member's jacket, and these were hidden by the flowing cape.

"I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you."  And with this, the rider cranked his pedal, ending all conversation in a roar of flames and exhaust.

"You should get out of here," pleaded the security guard, grasping Ascorba's arm and pulling him gently but firmly towards the mall's front door.  The guard was bald, with a comb-over, possibly in his forties.  Big pasty eyes and an emaciated body, from having been paid too little for too long.  He meant well, and took his duty seriously, but clearly he was afraid.  Ascorba allowed himself to be pulled inside, knowing the guard desperately needed to be inside.

"You should all get out of here..." Ascorba uttered under his breath to no one.  A busy weekend of packages and shopping bags.  They had no idea.

[meta: I may get banned from this forum.  If I do, keep the faith.  If the game dies, realize it was not for lack of trying.  The irony; was Ascorba talking to me?]
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 12:29:41 AM by bvanevery » Logged
RCIX
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2010, 02:21:20 AM »

[meta: Since bvanevery is possibly going away, i really need more people to help me write this. As long as whatever you write isn't too silly/trollish, your work will be welcome. I also assume that since this is supposed to be a game, some additional rules could be tossed in to make it more like writing a story. Please? Beg]

As the cool mall air flowes over Ascorba, he felt a tingle down his spine. It was as if some remnant of his wife was calling to him, and he had just now heard it. Concentrating, he realizes that the source of this call resided in the lead biker's motorcycle. He moves as if to go back out, but the guard pleads with him; "No, don't! You don't know what they can do! The guy who had my job before..." and he shudders, as if remembering some horrible fate.

Ascorba replies: "I have more strength than you might think." and waves his staff to to open a portal. The guard jumps back in fear, and Ascorba closes it with a small gesture. "Do you see?" the guard nods, clearly shaken by this sudden display of magic.

Confidently, Ascorba strides out of the front door, the sudden change in temperature somewhat jolting him. he knew the words he must speak, yet feared doing so. He had always loathed technology, as it resembled the magic he had grown to despise too much. Yet, after all this time wandering, Ascorba felt somewhat indifferent by now. "Quiscebum micen toros rota II", and a motorcycle appeared in front of him. he gingerly swings his leg over the seat, and guns the motor. A faint screeching could be heard as Ascorba roughly pulls out in the general direction that the motorcycle gang took.

[meta: I am hereby adding the ability to write and change rules. I will, of course, be able to override rule changes to ensure this topic doesn't derail, but that's mostly it. See below for the first new rule as an example.]

[New rule change: Writers must alternate between writing from the perspective of Ascorba, and either Gertrude (when last we saw her) or the biker gang. So one post would continue the Ascorba part of the story, then the next would do either Gertrude or the Biker gang, then ascorba, and so on. Ignore this rule if 3 posts of mine go by and no one else has responded.
bvanevery
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2010, 11:15:34 AM »

Large meta:
also assume that since this is supposed to be a game, some additional rules could be tossed in to make it more like writing a story.

[New rule change: Writers must alternate between writing from the perspective of Ascorba, and either Gertrude (when last we saw her) or the biker gang.

"Making it more like writing a story" is a valid concern; however, I want to offer a competing concern.  Adding characters and plot elements tends to diffuse the quality of the writing, as what's already there doesn't get enough attention, and loose ends are also left dangling.  The initial formation of a game such as this is almost like whack-a-mole.  Can the authors successfully incorporate characters and objects into a coherent plot, let alone make it interesting, let alone proceed onwards to deeper cultural meaning?  Deeper meaning is very challenging when one is bogged down in "plot consistency infrastructure."  It is a problem that can seriously get in the way of a TV serial.  I think we should be careful of strictures that have unintended consequences.

For instance, insisting that one write "from the perspective of the biker gang" elevates them from minor to major characters.  Then you're stuck with them for awhile.  Even if you soon get rid of them, you've lost the next 5..10 scenes to them.  If they weren't turning out to be core to the story, then it just drags the pace of the story down.  Could put people to sleep.  I don't have any problem with a creative person charging in, taking full ownership of the biker gang, and developing a really interesting "biker gang story" based on what has already happened.  But if such a person isn't here to do the job, we shouldn't make a rule that says we HAVE to do the job.

Why the biker gang?  Why not the brooch from the earlier scenes?  Why not the 2 kings that are dead, or their armies?  Why not Frey?  Why not the ships in space over the planet?

We may not be able to pick up or explain everything that was written - I'm not going to spend a lot of time explaining salamanders, for instance.  It had an interesting effect on Ascorba's character: it made him much more firmly a wizard, whereas when I started the game I personally imagined him to be a god.  So a "salamander interjection" is not without value.  It just may not be valuable as a salamander in and of itself, worthy of its own "salamander planet" or whatnot.  Its value may lie in how it shapes and defines the main characters and events.  I don't really want "The World of George, Middle Aged Security Guard" either, unless some rather motivated person wants to pick it up and knock our socks off about it.  

My point is we have options as to what we can pursue, and we shouldn't prematurely privilege one set of options.  The biker gang is only as important as some motivated author wants to make it.

Similarly, is Gertrude a major or a minor character?  You are about to see.  I have to bend your rule a little.  I'm writing a scene that's about "Ascorba and the biker gang."  I can't in good conscience write it from the biker gang's perspective, as that would make them more important than at present I want them to be.  EDIT: I will write it, but there are some real life things happening at present.  So possibly, someone else may beat me to the punch in the next 12 hours.  That's fine if you do, I'm not trying to "reserve" anything.  If someone else gets motivated I'll work with whatever comes.  EDIT: Well it ended up being from the biker gang's perspective, but I avoided dwelling on a lot of internal dialogue or chracterization.  More like screenplay with a tiny bit of internal dialogue thrown in for economy.

Continuity note: it's a minor plot hole that I referenced an Earth religion and an Earth historical figure.  Well I don't have a big reason to care really.  We were already using an Earth-style shopping mall, Earth latin, and an Earth motorcycle model.  I suppose all we're saying is that this universe is Earth-like, at least here.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 06:47:05 PM by bvanevery » Logged
RCIX
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2010, 02:30:46 PM »

Large meta:

Ok, no problem. I had envisioned some sort of line where Gertrude (as it seems that that's Ascorba's wife) ran off in the motorcycle, an indeterminate amount/type of events had happened to her, and now she was associated with the biker gang in some way (the head? the founder? dunno). And this new planet was Ascorba's old, only he couldn't recognize it because of the radical shift in technology.

Thanks for guiding me Smiley

Go ahead and ignore that last rule, at least till we see what Bvanevery comes up with.
bvanevery
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2010, 06:05:22 PM »

At a rest area along an interstate highway, a homeless programmer awoke in the back of his car, to the sound of hundreds of motorcycles arriving at once.  His dog barked, being a good guard dog.  He quickly rolled his sleeping mat, stowed it in the trunk of his rusty car, and drove slowly away.  Followed soon by anyone who had used, or would use, the rest area for its intended purpose.  Even truckers fired up their rigs and cleared out.

The Grannies fired up all the public barbeques and began to party.  The flagship chopper was parked in front of the electronic sliding doors to the main bathrooms, on the sidewalk.  It bore a large, curious wooden box, like a reliquary from a Catholic festival.  No one approached the chopper but the electronic doors occasionally opened and closed, sensing small vibrations in the air.

After the first round of hamburgers, pickles, and fist breaking matches, a straggler approached.  He was old, and wore no cape, but rode quite a ride.  He parked as though he belonged, or as though no one was going to stop him.  He wore no leather and carried only a thin staff.  More than a walking stick, less than a curiosity.

"Cheeky bastard," mouthed Grimoa, as the wizened man approached.  "Hey Gandhi, you want a cheeseburger?"  On cue, an enforcer tossed a complete patty with bun in the interloper's general direction, not caring whether it was wanted or splattered.  Surprisingly, it was caught.  The gang had expected a good laugh, but played it cool as "Gandhi" smiled and nibbled.

After he had finished half the tough meat, he tossed the rest in a trash receptacle, and made his desires known.  "I want to see your colors."  The gang stiffened.  "I'm a journalist.  I want to do a story on you guys."

"You're a liar," said Grimoa, stopping an enforcer from moving in with the flat of his meaty hand.  "But you're old, so we'll cut you some slack.  Why don't you go ask Granny?"

"Where is she?"

"Right there."  Grimoa pointed at the flagship chopper, and everybody laughed.  Ten cheers went up, beer bottles clanked, and general merriment resumed.

Gandhi, taking his direction, started towards the bike.  Amazement and amusement flashed briefly over Grimoa's face.  This guy must never have heard of the Grannies ever at all.  He didn't feel like cleaning up the mess, so he called out,

"Hey, uh, Gandhi."

"Yes?"

"Look, don't touch."

Gandhi looked puzzled.

"I'm serious.  I don't want to have to kill you."
bvanevery
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2010, 11:30:14 PM »

Meta: that was my last game entry, and this shall be my last post on these forums.

The ugliness of the TIGSource community has affected me deeply.  Most painful have been the conspiracy theorists who twist any form of rational debate, any form of intellectual engagement, into some kind of trick in order to irritate and disrupt the community.  It is one thing to offend people, change course, make amends, and be credited for doing so.  It is quite another to be treated as a conniving trickster no matter what I do, even something as innocent as saying "chess takes most people longer than 15 minutes to learn." 

That kind of ugliness is dishonest, obsessive, and dangerous.  It is also more supported around here than challenged.  It appeals to a fairly large crowd, that I just want to cause harm.  I thought I had left people like that behind on Usenet over a decade ago, but I see now that although technologies change, people do not.  There is a "club" here with a real nastiness about it.  I cannot in good conscience participate in a community that allows such a world view to run unchecked, and everything about the tenor of moderation in this community, indicates that this is how it will be.

There are many places that a writing exercise such as this can exist.  I have no reason to have it exist here anymore.  People of course can continue it here as they like, but I will not.  If anyone wants to continue this exercise, or one like it, in some other place, I am fairly easy to find on the internet.
voidSkipper
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2010, 03:07:19 AM »

Even in your last post, you conduct yourself in the same manner that resulted in the reaction you got.
RCIX
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2010, 03:18:53 AM »

Even in your last post, you conduct yourself in the same manner that resulted in the reaction you got.

3 points:
1. that's totally offtopic to this thread,
2. He's gone and won't reply (so did you just have to get the last word in?)
3. That's exactly the sort of thing that sets him off (not that it matters, since as i said, he's gone).
voidSkipper
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2010, 06:07:11 AM »

1. That's why I put it in the aside format,
2. I'd take bets that he'll come back and read, since his post was clearly made with the intention of stirring shit and making a dramatic exit,
3. Yes, I did notice that stating opinions contrary to his own sets him off - I think there might be a thread about it...
RCIX
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2010, 06:22:30 PM »

So you take a potshot at him now that you know you're safe from reply? Kinda hard to believe that you're the "good guy" in this then...
voidSkipper
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2010, 10:24:19 PM »

So you take a potshot at him now that you know you're safe from reply? Kinda hard to believe that you're the "good guy" in this then...

I don't really know what to make of this. I was taking potshots at him when he was still here, too. You're implying that I'm a "bad guy" when compared to Bvanevery because I responded to an inflammatory post he made on a forum for public discussion?
Riley Adams
Level 5

I don't actually use Ubuntu much...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2010, 10:33:12 PM »

I don't really know what to make of this. I was taking potshots at him when he was still here, too. You're implying that I'm a "bad guy" when compared to Bvanevery because I responded to an inflammatory post he made on a forum for public discussion?

The drama continues! in ITALICS! (perhaps this should be double italics, since it's meta-meta discussion...)
*grabs popcorn

RCIX
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2010, 10:57:06 PM »

You're badmouthing him behind his back (it's safer to assume he doesn't read here any more thanks to the hostility he encountered rather than does). Now, he may have been a bit of a jerk, but it's just as bad to do that as to actually do what he did. You're just making the case that the forum was too immature to handle him here....

The drama continues! in ITALICS! (perhaps this should be double italics, since it's meta-meta discussion...)
*grabs popcorn

We aim to please Wink
voidSkipper
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2010, 04:30:20 AM »

You're badmouthing him behind his back (it's safer to assume he doesn't read here any more thanks to the hostility he encountered rather than does). Now, he may have been a bit of a jerk, but it's just as bad to do that as to actually do what he did. You're just making the case that the forum was too immature to handle him here....

I'm sorry, that doesn't fly at all. Starting a shitload of fights (and that's exactly what he did - inviting people to have a discussion and then systematically belittling them is not a form of debate), talking down to the community and running away. None of these things make him suddenly immune to retort.

Once again, this is a public forum so it's completely impossible for me to be talking "behind his back". I'm not going to freak out and edit my post if he comes back.

Humouring people who are only putting forward arguments to reassure themselves that they are extraordinarily intelligent is not a form of "maturity" that I would hold in high regard.
RCIX
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2010, 03:02:39 PM »

No, but attacking someone who has no recourse isn't particularly mature. For the most part, the community did react calmly to him and it was mostly his fault, but when you deliberately poke at him for no reason other than you can and he can't reply, then that's not fair to him. Believe what you want, but he's a human with the same rights as you. I don't think you'd want people continuing to beat a dead horse after you leave in a similar situation, so why would you do it here?
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2010, 09:29:27 PM »

Best game ever.

Back on topic or stop posting, ya silly billies! Angry

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
RCIX
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2010, 11:57:34 PM »

Best game ever.

Back on topic or stop posting, ya silly billies! Angry

I moved it to a thread in General, since this one seems to have some sort of magic repellant around it thanks to the topic starter name Tongue
OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2010, 10:40:48 AM »

Since the story has it's own thread:

I've tried, but this thread makes no sense to me. You write a story in which anything can happen, how is this exploring nth order rules?
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2010, 01:46:33 PM »

I believe the logic is that tabletop style RPGs (to which this is similar) can evolve in an infinite number of ways. Video games are constrained by the rules of their program.

Video games also tend to be extremely predictable. The method of play is usually decided for you, and it's really impossible to deviate from it by more than a bit (Civilization games, for example, ultimately always require you to weather the attacks from the other players). In this game, on the other hand, the direction and content of the game can shift greatly over time in directions unexpected when it was envisioned.

What we see as emergence in video games is not nearly as dynamic as a truly infinite system based in reality. They're both emergent, just games are not infinitely so.

The logic seems sound to me.
OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2010, 01:56:35 PM »

The only attempt to set rules past the OPs seemed to have been rebuffed. The only real rule seems to be to collaboratively write a story.  That is not a game, is it?

If it is i'm going to release a notepad clone  Wink
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic