Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411708 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 02:35:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignBan bvanevery?
Poll
Question: Should bvanevery be banned?  (Voting closed: October 13, 2010, 11:35:19 PM)
Yes - 92 (57.9%)
No - 67 (42.1%)
Total Voters: 137

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Ban bvanevery?  (Read 30863 times)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: October 06, 2010, 11:35:19 PM »

Alright, I've gotten lots of complaints about Brandon Van Every. Brandon, the general consensus seems to be that you're sucking the life out of the forums with your pointless arguments. Some people have stated that you bring up interesting points, but they quickly get tired of you because you will do anything to avoid agreeing with somebody. Someone suggested a blog (preferably with the comments turned off) might be better suited to your style of argumentation.

Looking at some old threads of yours, this seems like a common thing with you. EDIT: But I haven't read all of your posts so maybe I'm missing something.

So yeah, one week poll. Should Brandon be banned? Speak now or forever hold your peace.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 11:45:13 PM by Derek » Logged
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 12:21:34 AM »

I just wanted to point out that this has interesting ramifications - Brandon claimed to come here at the behest of the IGDA as part of their outreach program. Contacting them instead of banning bvanevery may make better neighbours rather then sending them the action message of "your representative isn't welcome here".

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 12:55:45 AM »

I just wanted to point out that this has interesting ramifications - Brandon claimed to come here at the behest of the IGDA as part of their outreach program. Contacting them instead of banning bvanevery may make better neighbours rather then sending them the action message of "your representative isn't welcome here".

fuck that.

ban him. he is extremely disruptive and one sided. I don't think his absence will be missed by many.

he has shown time again on this forum and others, that he has disruptive behavior. he treats arguments like battles that must be one, and it's very annoying. he disregards everyones opinion but his own. Rude and cantankerous, I'm honestly surprised he hasn't been banned already.
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 01:11:45 AM »

its a weird choice of representative

as of now im not too sure, if he was less of a stubborn dick hed be fine but hes got all this haughty im-better-than-all-of-you attitude and never agrees with anyone but himself

though hes way less funny than super joe and super joe was banned

i havent made a choice yet, i believe discussion is important

EDIT id like to see him make a game though, so far the only game im seeing is some sort of weird RP in which i am completely uninterested
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 01:29:22 AM »

He reminds me of myself.

Give him some time to mend in.
Perrin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 01:33:41 AM »

If the IGDA's idea of outreach is to send someone over to let us all know we're wrong about game design and we're all idiots for liking Minecraft then that's not a great link to be forged.

Ultimately I don't think his status should be an excuse for his behaviour. Which has been a constant nuisance. While he presents himself as intellectual he has repeatedly insulted and belittled the people who've taken the time to engage in his arguments.

Other people have found examples of various other forums on the internet where he has been an equally unpleasant disruption but has been allowed to get away with it because he sometimes makes interesting points. I would love TIGSource to be a place where he was made example of and so have voted to ban him.

increpare
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 01:47:51 AM »

I really don't enjoy discussing things with him (his preferred discussion style is way too aggressive for me), and my (recently formed) rule of thumb is to actively avoid all threads where he's active and to not respond to him.  If I could ignore threads I'd probably be more comfortable with his presence.

In his favour, he's acted with considerable restraint in the face of insults from allen/gunmaggot.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 02:09:59 AM »

I say no. He's not doing any outstanding harm, if you don't like his arguments just ignore him. I personally have agreed with practically none of his views expressed, but that's absolutely no reason to ban somebody.
increpare
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 02:12:55 AM »

I personally have agreed with practically none of his views expressed, but that's absolutely no reason to ban somebody.
That's not the reason that anyone is giving.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 02:20:37 AM »

... if you don't like his arguments just ignore him.

That wasn't the only reason I gave.  Roll Eyes
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 02:21:43 AM »

I say no. He's not doing any outstanding harm, if you don't like his arguments just ignore him.
it's hard to ignore someone so abrasively vocal, especially when the discussion revolves around a subject I would otherwise be inclined to take part in were the atmosphere not one of such friction.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2010, 02:22:16 AM »

I didn't really know who you were talking about so I quickly scanned through his post history. The last eight pages of his posts were only from three threads. These were three threads I haven't been active in so this is probably why I have no idea who this guy is. I'm not sure what my point is exactly other than he seems to have a high post rate, but with a very narrow field of fire, so a lot of forum user may not even be aware him. I know I wasn't.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 02:22:32 AM »

Other people have found examples of various other forums on the internet where he has been an equally unpleasant disruption but has been allowed to get away with it because he sometimes makes interesting points.
This is exactly why I don't want to see him banned. As much as I don't like his attitude and style of arguing, a lot of the points he makes are interesting, and even though I mostly don't agree with them, they're still food for thought. Considering this is a discussion forum, it's always good to have a diverse range of different opinions.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 02:26:25 AM »

Let's compare this to real-life activities.

October 17th, 2010: Obama proposes a law that will put annoying people in jail.
November 4th, 2010: Congress and the House barely pass the law.
January 20th, 2011: Law takes effect.
November 6th, 2012: Obama enthusiastically reelected.

Wait, maybe I shouldn't have used that illustration  Tongue
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 02:27:59 AM »

what

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 02:38:43 AM »

I find myself spending the most time on the forums when there's a drama going on. Sad, huh?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 02:40:06 AM »

Let's compare this to real-life activities.

October 17th, 2010: Store owner throws annoying bum out of his store.
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 02:42:09 AM »

I find myself spending the most time on the forums when there's a drama going on. Sad, huh?

Alex, you're drunk, give me your keys.
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 02:49:43 AM »

YOU GAVE ME THOSE WHISKEYS

bento_smile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 03:38:19 AM »

Same, but it leaves me with this slightly dirty feeling...  Cry
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic