Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411709 Posts in 69403 Topics- by 58457 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 04:38:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignOne-screen platformer (need advice)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: One-screen platformer (need advice)  (Read 2284 times)
Blodyavenger
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: November 08, 2010, 08:20:14 AM »

I hope I put question in the right section.

I've decided to make bigger platform-puzzle game and I have problems / fears about game design I set up - point is "One-Screen" platformer.

Quick description of game style: You have a character, jumping around, shooting projectiles occasionaly and your goal is to pick up the key that unlocks main door (trough which you finish map). On the way trough the map you need to overcome obstacles like spikes, enemies, locked doors (which are opened by one ore more buttons) and more.

Why one-screen maps: I don't want to keep player in the map for too long so I rather make more smaller (one-screen) maps. And since game itself is more of a puzzle nature than action I thought one-screen would be enough with.
I'm looking for advice on that point - do you think that is managable? Will maps start to repeat over time? Should I rather make map bigger (at least slighty?). What is your suggestions?

Game settings:
-2D
-800x600
-32x32 tiles

Nix
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 10:08:29 AM »

Prototype it and find out.
Blodyavenger
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 01:10:20 PM »

That would be the best eh? Ok, I'll do that, I have it nearly ready anyway

iffi
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 04:34:55 PM »

If it's 32x32 tiles and the resolution is 800x600, does that mean the tiles won't be square or that there will be space not used for the tiles on the left or right?
Also, I personally prefer 640x480 because my netbook screen is 1024x600, which means that 800x600 doesn't fit properly unless it's fullscreen. It's not a big deal, though.
Blodyavenger
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 12:27:17 AM »

Whole area is going to be used

800 x 600

800/32 = 25 tiles
600/32 = 18,75 = 19 tiles

iffi
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 12:38:38 AM »

Oh right, I misunderstood that as 32 tiles along the width and height of the screen instead of each tile being 32x32 pixels. My bad!
Blodyavenger
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 02:31:00 AM »

No worries Smiley

Ok, I've prepared an image from quickly made map editor, you can take a look so you get a vision how everything looks like and maybe you'll be able to say something more

PS: next to that imagine doors, moving platforms, traps etc.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 07:32:25 AM »

I think this will totally work. you should look at older games though that had restrictions like this.

examples:
 - Bubble Bobble
 - Donkey Kong
 - Donkey kong JR
 - Burger Time

these had many levels and they were only one screen (bubble Bobble had 99).
as long as you vary the levels I would say go for it. I suggest ding levels in sets.

example:
 - 5 levels just jumping
 - 5 levels jumping and enemies
 - 5 levels jumping, enemies, moving platforms.

do the game like a slow tutorial and trickle in new concepts and jsut when the players are getting bored they will get a new mechanic to play with. and also to help you can even reuse levels. so maybe level 2 and level 10 are the same. but now level 10 has moving platforms and enemies so the player remembers this level but since it has a new spin its much harder.

Blodyavenger
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 08:01:38 AM »

Hmm, you're right. I was only thinking on the old games using scrolling (like Crystal Caves etc.) but never thought of those you mentioned.

Thanks for suggestion, I will try to go with your tactics to progress trough bundle of levels with slowly difficulty increase all the way. If they could do it with much less than 800x600 then I should be able to do it as well (I guess, I'll do my best:P)

Yes, thanks, I'm back on 100% go with a single-screen idea :D

Nix
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 08:25:26 AM »

One newer example of a game that did quite well with single-room levels is N.
Kegluneq
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 04:05:39 PM »

Balding's Quest anyone?
IQpierce
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 01:28:07 PM »

"Achievement Unlocked!" is a true one-screen platformer - that game has about 100 levels all on one screen. Haven't played the sequel but I heard it's even better.

I love that game. Why make more than one "physical" space for your game when what's really interesting is the possibility space, which can be completely changed just by changing the goal, and without changing one pixel of the platforms, etc.? Brilliant.

One guy trying to make some interesting decisions.
snowyowl
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 12:09:39 PM »

Agreed. The same guy made "The Only Level", which has you play the same level 30 or so times but with different mechanics each time (gravity is altered, you sometimes run backwards, invisible walls, buttons do something different, etc.).

I think we're going off-topic a little, but it's still nice to think about how far you can get with one-screen games.
genericlogin
Level 0

Sandals

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 09:46:53 PM »

http://www.nitrome.com/games/tinycastle

A single level platformer, the structure of the level changes every time you complete a set of objectives.
Blodyavenger
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 09:12:13 AM »

Thanks for all games that you've mentioned. I'll have to play them over to get some idea...I'll consider to make tiles a bit smaller, maybe, we'll see

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic