Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 10:52:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1030 1031 [1032] 1033 1034 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2332767 times)
JWK5
« Reply #20620 on: April 17, 2015, 06:37:50 AM »

I can't sit still for very long, every 10 minutes I find some reason to get up and wander the house which I often promptly forget in transit. All throughout the day I am doing dishes, taking out trash, getting water, getting coffee, etc. All my best ideas come to me while I am distracted from working on all my best ideas.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20621 on: April 17, 2015, 06:39:47 AM »

the next step is to figure out how to work from home without becoming a depressed shut-in weirdo (SPOILER WARNING: its impossible)

Yeah, I really dont like working from home. Specially because my room doesnt have enough sunlight.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20622 on: April 17, 2015, 06:54:11 AM »

SPOILER WARNING: I have never become any less of a depressed shut-in weirdo while working at companies either.

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #20623 on: April 17, 2015, 07:25:00 AM »

A little request for anybody who devs Steam games: Can you not make the icon for a locked achievement be the same as an unlocked one, except slightly darker? Due to colorblindness I cannot tell the difference between the unlocked and locked achievements here for example: http://i.imgur.com/OeZdACQ.jpg

It's much better to do it like La-Mulana and have a completely different icon for a locked achievement: http://i.imgur.com/oMj7WGl.jpg

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20624 on: April 17, 2015, 07:39:57 AM »

A little request for anybody who devs Steam games: Can you not add achievements at all because they break the immersion and shit on the experience?

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #20625 on: April 17, 2015, 07:48:11 AM »

A little request for anybody who devs Steam games: Can you not add achievements at all because they break the immersion and shit on the experience?
Agreed. After that, just remove all the game over screens, because being thrown out of the game on failure is so immersion-breaking. There shouldn't be any challenges in video games.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20626 on: April 17, 2015, 07:54:40 AM »

Death is used as a mechanic in a lot of games that don't need it these days tho, as a vestige of the arcade games that would set the standard (which had death in them so you would lose at some point and pop in more coins), so that's not completely wrong either. Wink

But eh, I'm not against achievements in toilet games or something like that, but I really, really don't like them in more serious games.

Also, removing a message saying you discovered something doesn't mean you still can't discover that something. That's a good reward enough IMO; I don't need a notification to pop up as well.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #20627 on: April 17, 2015, 07:59:29 AM »

I can't sit still for very long, every 10 minutes I find some reason to get up and wander the house which I often promptly forget in transit. All throughout the day I am doing dishes, taking out trash, getting water, getting coffee, etc. All my best ideas come to me while I am distracted from working on all my best ideas.

ya im the same way. i basically need to walk around to be able to think. i guess we can count ourselves among the lucky b/c we do the healthy thing instinctively haha
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20628 on: April 17, 2015, 07:59:59 AM »

I don't. And my pile of dishes keeps on growing... Lips Sealed

But I'll get more energy when gf comes back and I don't have to sit around alone anymore and we can divide the tasks again, so w/e.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20629 on: April 17, 2015, 08:05:33 AM »

so your avatar is your gf lickin your hair and you absorb energy from her saliva?
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #20630 on: April 17, 2015, 08:09:54 AM »

Instead of saying "Nobody should have achievements because I, personally, don't enjoy them", a more sensible request would be asking Valve to implement a setting that hides the notification popup when an achievement is unlocked. Right now I believe you can disable the Steam overlay, but that also turns off many other features.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20631 on: April 17, 2015, 08:11:44 AM »

Ya, she drew it to describe the process last time we did LD together (except not really true; she was working hard on all the graphics and did most of the level design so she didn't really have time for that).

She's too busy with her master thesis this time, tho. I'll be doing it either alone or with Jolene/Eva. Not sure yet. I don't feel super motivated ATM so I might just do it alone at a very slow pace.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20632 on: April 17, 2015, 08:12:24 AM »

Instead of saying "Nobody should have achievements because I, personally, don't enjoy them", a more sensible request would be asking Valve to implement a setting that hides the notification popup when an achievement is unlocked. Right now I believe you can disable the Steam overlay, but that also turns off many other features.
dum i didnt mean they should actually be removed

But them being optional is an absolute necessity IMO on any system.

Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20633 on: April 17, 2015, 10:24:17 AM »

Hey TIGers, long time no see!

I'm back after a long while, I moved out of the country (Venezuela, quickly becoming one of the worst countries to live, worsening each day) and I've been doing paperwork and getting things up and running in my new home, Panam?.

I've been working on a game project too, Operation Hardcore (I made a thread here btw, to introduce the project: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=47447.0) which we're developing using Unity. We are aiming for a late 2015/early 2016 release for PC (Steam) and Wii U.

It's good to be back. Gotta get up to date Smiley

Peace.

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #20634 on: April 17, 2015, 10:46:56 AM »

hi welcome back
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20635 on: April 17, 2015, 11:01:53 AM »

good bye vuvuzela welcom pennyville

Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20636 on: April 17, 2015, 11:35:37 AM »

hi welcome back

thx Silbereisen!
Hopefully here I can devote more time to my game dev pursuits instead of just surviving Smiley Maybe this is the year I finally publish a game!

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20637 on: April 17, 2015, 12:43:56 PM »

dum i didnt mean they should actually be removed

But them being optional is an absolute necessity IMO on any system.

The PS3 allows you to hide achievement notifications. There's no reason it couldn't be implemented on any system.

That said, achievements are already optional by definition. It's a fantastic compromise that allows developers to add gimmicky challenges to a game for advanced players that are completely divorced from the main game if you don't want to do them.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20638 on: April 17, 2015, 12:59:12 PM »

seriously SirNiko why does everything you ever say sound like copywriting

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #20639 on: April 17, 2015, 02:24:16 PM »