Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411567 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 04:31:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsScheherazade Machine (a narrative machine)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Scheherazade Machine (a narrative machine)  (Read 5596 times)
godatplay
Level 1

Josh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2012, 10:08:57 PM »

Quote from: Jean Cocteau
I don't like the idea of poetry, I like poetry itself. Poetry that creates itself, without anyone's involvement.

I just thought this quote captured part of the intention behind this project well.

And thanks for the compliments guys. Smiley

/////////////////////////
God at play - meaningful games - spiritual games
@godatplay
ghostwheel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 06:07:45 AM »

This is looking soooo good!

I Dream of Ghosts devlogs: Official and Tigsource. Finished game: Super Brick Bros 2: A Machine for Bricks TURBO!
kz012
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2012, 06:54:28 AM »

looking really nice.  Grin

Nuprahtor
Level 3

Drunk on the Moon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2012, 07:34:47 AM »

I won't be original - I like the graphics!

Thank God For The Rain - a magical neo-noir JRPG - devlog, tumblr
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2012, 08:13:19 AM »

I won't be original - I like the graphics!

godatplay
Level 1

Josh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2012, 12:05:57 PM »

One thing I've been trying to do designing the systems in this experience is use the Ladder of Abstraction model. So I've tried as much as possible to allow for a completely deterministic system, including for animated content and conversations. I can jump to any point in time by pausing the simulation and changing the currentFrame.

What this allows me to do is change how the narrative elements are combined at some point in the simulation, and then jump right back to where I was immediately after changing. This makes changes much more immediate than having to play through the entire simulation again, which makes designing much more like sketching.

So far my solution with combining narrative elements uses the perlin-like simplex noise to choose from different possible states. I'm very new to this LoA approach, so I'm not sure exactly how it'll work yet, but here's my current direction:

The x axis is time, with the leftmost the current point. The y axis represents various narrative elements, and the 8 colors represent some state. As time passes, the states change thereby changing the mix of narrative elements. I haven't decided if each tick will be a different object and the colors represent some theme or emotional state, or if each color is an object itself. I'm not even sure what narrative elements to have. Tongue

In general, I find the idea of doing it this way far superior to simple randomization, because I have a lot of control with the input for generating noise.

But this is all very much an experiment, which means it might not even result in anything meaningful. The other thing is that I haven't even added conditionals yet, which would really throw a wrench into trying to visualize the system. I think adding conditionals (ex: some object appears after several others are all in the same state) is really where interesting things will happen.

I wish I was a better programmer, heh.

God at play - meaningful games - spiritual games
@godatplay
axcho
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 12:03:49 AM »

The art style in itself is pretty awesome. So is the unique non-games-y flavor hinted at by the screen shots.

But I think I am most excited by your Ladder of Abstraction attempt. I commend your brave endeavor! Good luck. Wink
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic